Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

UD Collector's Choice Idea Gut Check

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwinsRube

Jan 29, 2011
Trying to decide if this idea is fun or dumb.

Have 2 young kids I want to get involved in cards. Collectors Choice Baseball was a big part of my modest collection growing up. Considering trying To build out the 4 sport, all years set with them as a long teen project. Idk why, I just always liked the inserts and the signature parallels (in the years that had them).

Am I being dumb? Ha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PeteD

Oct 15, 2009
Southern Ont.
Drop a list...i'm sure some of us old timers have monster boxes of them. My bud's shop back room was full of them, i grabbed whatever i could looking for Jeter / Jordan / ARod rc's.

TwinsRube

Jan 29, 2011
Thanks everyone. I was leaving towards fun but needed a sanity check :)

RockHillCards

Aug 6, 2017
Collect what makes you happy. Not everyone wants to or can afford to have a collection of thousand-dollar cards $100 cards or even $1cards.

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
Collector's choice were some of my favorite cards. I still have tons of that stuff but every now and then I get the urge to bust some 1995 special edition.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Great idea! I think I've opened more packs of Collectors Choice in my life than any other product. Both baksetball and baseball.

TwinsRube

Jan 29, 2011
The 97 inserts might be my favorite. Big Show, Toast of the Town. All Star Connection. Even the stickers. Brings back some fond memories.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I'd suggest skipping the gold/platinum signature parallels, but try for the rest. I have seen several comments from dedicated player collectors who still have not found certain gold cards for their collection.

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
I'd suggest skipping the gold/platinum signature parallels, but try for the rest. I have seen several comments from dedicated player collectors who still have not found certain gold cards for their collection.

Plus finding gold signature parallels of commons in a 20+ year old set will be very difficult.

TwinsRube

Jan 29, 2011
Yea, I don't have the stomach (or wallet) to support the rare stuff. I think silvers might be doable based on their insert rates in packs. I'll just see where it goes! Lord only knows how close I may be on some of the baseball years already with my monster boxes in the basement.

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
I've got a couple binders of silvers somewhere, think 94 and 95. Glad to help if you need them.

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
i see nothing wrong with your idea , but i have one suggestion i'd make.....in addition to the 90's choice sets , i think i'd at least CONSIDER trying to work on maybe on or two (or perhaps one per sport) new sets as well just so that your kids would have projects involving current players that they either are already familiar with or likely would be seeing in action and becoming fans of as they grow into the hobby.....

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I loved collector's choice in the '90s. I built the baseball sets every year from 1994-1998 from packs at Walmart.
The inserts like the stickers were great.
They're the perfect sets to build with your kids.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
i see nothing wrong with your idea , but i have one suggestion i'd make.....in addition to the 90's choice sets , i think i'd at least CONSIDER trying to work on maybe on or two (or perhaps one per sport) new sets as well just so that your kids would have projects involving current players that they either are already familiar with or likely would be seeing in action and becoming fans of as they grow into the hobby.....

^this

TwinsRube

Jan 29, 2011

Good call. Currently stock piling a pack of current cards each time I hit target for them to break with me when they are old enough to actually follow actively.

I should have clarified my oldest isn't even 3. Yes I'm starting early. Yes I get a lot of grief (good natured) from my wife ha.

That said my oldest just about lost her mind when we pulled a Jake Arrieta mini (it's a little one daddy!!) out of Ginter and she also nabbed an Indians mascot auto out of opening day.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
ahh, so you may need to gauge if your 3-year old is even interested when the time comes. I was assuming they were old enough and had already shown interest.

Members online