Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Which one would you pick for a redemption replacement?

Which One would you pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Your current redemption:

2014 Five Star Baseball Five Star Auto Rainbow Parallel of Willie Mays FSA-WMA - $300 Beckett

Topps is offering:

2015 Bowman Chrome Draft Pick Autograph #BCAAB Andrew Benintendi -$300 Beckett

or

2016 Bowman Chrome Prospect Autographs Green Refractors #CPATM Trey Mancini #92/99 - $200 Beckett
and
2015 Bowman Chrome Draft Draft Pick Autographs #BCAIH Ian Happ - $100.00 Beckett.

I'm leaning towards the Benintendi..just want to see what everyone else would do..

Last edited:

RockHillCards

Aug 6, 2017
Id ask for Benintendi AND Happ. They need to upgrade you. What happens if Benintendi breaks his ankle?

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
It's so ridiculous they can't get you the damn Mays. Maybe we should have death to redemptions

Bring me your Bickford, Ryan McMahon, Senzatela and Peter Lambert cards

RockHillCards

Aug 6, 2017
What happens when Willie Mays passes on?

Kevin - I'd go for the Benintendi all the way.

His cards will spike in value when he passes. Most players do. Big big difference if a HoFer passes and a rookie has a severe injury.

If I had to pick a or b I would pick a. But it doesn't hurt to ask for more.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
C'mon, those are both crap offers compared to that low #d Mays auto you should have.

Don't pay any attention to the Beckett values when it comes to BC prospect autos (the values fluctuate all the time and are never close to what Beckett lists them at).

At the moment that Benintendi auto is selling for roughly $90-$130

Ian Happ base autos are going for about $60-$70 & the Mancini goes for about the same price as the Benintendi currently sells for ($100-$140).

So if money is the only thing that matters and you plan to *immediately* flip your replacements you'd get slightly more $$$ for the Mancini/Happ. But then again, as I mentioned earlier, the value of prospects (especially those in the midst of a rookie season) can change quickly in the midst of a season. That Benintendi auto was selling in the $150-$180 range just a couple weeks ago (earlier this season they were topping $200) & could easily reach that price again. Ian Happ autos were hanging around $100 at one point too.

If looking to invest, the Benintendi auto has the highest ceiling long term (it could be a $300-$400 card in a year or two if he breaks out as a .300+/30 HR player as Betts did) & in the immediate future because if he does something big in the postseason it could easily exceed $200 again this year.

Honestly, you deserve both the Benintendi & Happ autos as replacement for a low #d Willie Mays on-card auto (which are much scarcer than the thousands of BC base autos floating around) so you should ask about that first. If not, I'm leaning slightly more towards the Benintendi auto.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
Mays is a top 5 player of all-time. I wouldn't be very happy to get a prospect in return who could flounder and be out of the league in a few years. I'd try to get another top HOF guy, Aaron, Koufax, etc.

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
Mays is a top 5 player of all-time. I wouldn't be very happy to get a prospect in return who could flounder and be out of the league in a few years. I'd try to get another top HOF guy, Aaron, Koufax, etc.

100% agree but I'm not a prospect guy. I'd insist on another all time great player.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
It's so ridiculous they can't get you the damn Mays. Maybe we should have death to redemptions

Bring me your Bickford, Ryan McMahon, Senzatela and Peter Lambert cards

Death 2 'em all. This is just another example of why I hate them. The ridiculous replacement offers are always worth less than the card you should have gotten and they still go by beckett prices (what are we still living in the stone ages?) to gauge the value.

100% agree but I'm not a prospect guy. I'd insist on another all time great player.

I am a prospect guy but even I would prefer an all-time great HOF auto as a replacement for an auto of Willie Mays. The prospect market is too volatile and it would be a shame to end up with a Delmon Young/Stephen Drew/etc. a few years down the line when you could of had a low #'d Willie Mays auto that will always maintain it's value.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
The question I ponder is what happens when Beckett finally stops publishing a price guide.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The question I ponder is what happens when Beckett finally stops publishing a price guide.

I guess Topps will have to learn to follow the market and go by recent (last 3 months or so) completed e-bay sales, as they should be doing already.

I'm amazed people still go by Beckett value but as long as people keep buying them, I don't see Beckett discontinuing their price guides.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
May autograph probably costs them $150 or more. 1 or 2 rookie autographs are probably $5-$10 total.

I know that their cost is not the ultimate question, but this is an embarrassment.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012

+1

I know it seems like Topps has all the power and you don't have any options, but if you stick to your guns and make the case that those are not fair/comparable replacements to the Mays, you can get something else like another great HOFer. I remember we had a member a while back with a Bryce Harper orange(?) auto redemption or something that Topps claimed they couldn't fulfill, and they tried to dump a case on him. So he filed the paperwork to take them to court, and if I recall, at the last second Topps caved and got him the Harper auto. So it depends on how badly you want the Mays, but you definitely don't have to settle on either of these offers.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
The problem with Benintendi is-

1.He already is long past the callup so you don't get that boost.
2.He already is on a high fan base team, so a trade will only hurt and never help.
3.He doesn't seem to have the power frame to ever greatly improve from where he is now.. 18hr (so 25ish by season end) and people don't seem to care much. How much would he have to improve to get his value high enough to equal the Mays?

This is exactly why I haven't opened cards in years, your upside is so slim here and they know it.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
Ask for jeter. Another high-end vet and they have the new deal with him.

It's a joke what they're offering. Like mentioned above. Their cost of a mays compared to these prospects is huge. You could take all 3 and they'd still make out on the deal.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Are you wanting a Mays for the PC or would you be moving that anyway?

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector

Members online