Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Scratches, creases, condition, and thoughts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

psj

Jul 24, 2015
Long Island
Alright, I want to tell you all a story, and hear some opinions. I recently bought a card off ebay. When It got here, I took a look at it. There was almost a complete letter "N" scratched/imprinted on the card. There was also other little scratches on it. Checking the pennysleeve, the same marks/letter were on the pennysleeve as well. Looks like someone wrote something with the card underneath it, and screwed the card up. So I returned the card, and got my refund. But the seller wrote me a message, saying he saw the damage, amd that's why it was listed as NM-Mint. To me, that isn't even close to that condition. My problem, or what I want to know is, what you guys would say the condition of the card was. I know its hard without seeing it, so lets use this card as a reference
IMG_20170825_232615_876.jpg
The blue sharpie mark is a scratch on the card. You can easily see it, rub ur finger on it and feel it. If u filled it with paint, u could sand the surface without taking the paint off. Its deep. What would u guys say the condition is? If a card has a crease on it, does that automatically make it a certain grade/condition?? Thanks everyone

Last edited:

psj

Jul 24, 2015
Long Island
Looking at the Beckett guide, it only mentions creases in the very lowest grades lol. Id love to know what it would grade though

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
Oh man. I went through my 2001 Legends of NY set the other day and moved them from toploaders to magnetics. The lower-end $5 - $10 cards had some similar things to what you found. It sucks, because you can't see that from the scans. I'm rebuying them if good, clean scans come up on eBay.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I don't think you'd see any company grade a card with a stray marker mark above a 2...at it's highest. The writing imprint/gauge I'm guessing caps it at a 3. Sucks when you get saddled with this kind of situation. Something like that needs to be disclosed in the description.

Jjoey52

Feb 12, 2017
As just a collector, I would say it is G as outside of that it is fine, ones I have seen as fair have it close to the round file.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

psj

Jul 24, 2015
Long Island
Oh man. I went through my 2001 Legends of NY set the other day and moved them from toploaders to magnetics. The lower-end $5 - $10 cards had some similar things to what you found. It sucks, because you can't see that from the scans. I'm rebuying them if good, clean scans come up on eBay.

That's another thing linuxabuser. I think as a seller, it's your job to look at a card, and list any damage u see. If u collect cards, or even just sell cards, u should be able to spot any flaws and accurately list them. I'm paying u my hard earned money, I wanna know what I'm buying doesn't arrive to me with undisclosed flaws

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
The highest grade PSA will give a card with a crease, even if it doesn't go all the way through, is a 4.

Instead of trying to put condition on it, he should've just made note of the imperfections and been done.

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
That's another thing linuxabuser. I think as a seller, it's your job to look at a card, and list any damage u see. If u collect cards, or even just sell cards, u should be able to spot any flaws and accurately list them. I'm paying u my hard earned money, I wanna know what I'm buying doesn't arrive to me with undisclosed flaws

I agree! I even go so far as to not resell the damaged cards so they don't reenter the market.

psj

Jul 24, 2015
Long Island
The highest grade PSA will give a card with a crease, even if it doesn't go all the way through, is a 4.

Instead of trying to put condition on it, he should've just made note of the imperfections and been done.

Wow. That's crazy, but good to know

psj

Jul 24, 2015
Long Island
I agree! I even go so far as to not resell the damaged cards so they don't reenter the market.

I won't resell them either. I give them away for free on here. But if someone is going to sell them, if they make a note of the damage in the listing, I'm OK with that. There's 1 seller I know, that sells damaged cards, but explains the damage about 5 different times in his listings.

Members online

Latest posts