Please don't adblock plus me bro

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 47

Thread: Will Rhys Hoskins have any rookie cards this year?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    104
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Will Rhys Hoskins have any rookie cards this year?

    I read that Topps won't have any ready till 2018. So what happens if Panini gets him in a late 2017 product? Can you imagine all of his RCs not including logos and such? Yuck.

  2. #2
    Senior Member death2redemptions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    The Carolina on the Southern side
    Posts
    8,198
     ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He certainly won't have any RC's but he still may have some non-auto prospect cards in Bowman Chrome/Bowman Draft/Bowman whatever else.

    My complaint is that he has absolutely no BC autos. If he had, I would have money invested in him and by the looks of it, he would have been a wise investment too.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,596
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Topps knows who Hoskins is (and it's doubtful since he doesn't have "Yankees" or "Mets" across his uniform), you'd think they could sneak him into 2017 topps update since there are probably open spots in the checklist for late-minute adds and the base cards/packout probably won't go to press for a month.

  4. #4
    Senior Member death2redemptions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    The Carolina on the Southern side
    Posts
    8,198
     ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rsmath View Post
    If Topps knows who Hoskins is (and it's doubtful since he doesn't have "Yankees" or "Mets" across his uniform), you'd think they could sneak him into 2017 topps update since there are probably open spots in the checklist for late-minute adds and the base cards/packout probably won't go to press for a month.
    Generally speaking, any rookie called up after August 1st (or one of those days in early August) will be in the following year's product & Hoskins debuted on August 10th so regardless the team he played for he'd still be in next years product. Aaron Judge debuted nearly the same day as Hoskins did last year (August 13th I believe) and didn't have a rookie card until the following year as well.

  5. #5
    Senior Member SINFULONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    5,653
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see why Topps can't print the RC logo cards of late call ups in their update set.

  6. #6
    Senior Member death2redemptions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    The Carolina on the Southern side
    Posts
    8,198
     ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SINFULONE View Post
    I don't see why Topps can't print the RC logo cards of late call ups in their update set.
    They probably could if they really wanted to but I'm sure they hold off doing it with the breakout rookies to help boost pre-sales the following year (since Series 1 comes out before the following season begins, which means no new rookies to excite customers. Only the ones from the previous season)

    I think it's lame. A players rookie card should correspond with the year they were actually called up. Maybe allow some exceptions with the September call-ups since it's so close to release date and they weren't on the 25-man roster.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,596
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by death2redemptions View Post
    A players rookie card should correspond with the year they were actually called up.
    I think Topps debut cards should be done away with. It's stupid to open an update pack to pull a debut card and it's from a debut that was more than a year before (i.e. in 2015 update, a debut card with a 2014 date).

    Looks like Topps likes to be behind the times releasing rookie cards the following year after debut (Judge in 2017 topps when he debuted in 2016) and releasing debut cards more than a year after their debut (Judge probably will have a debut card in 2017 topps update with
    his 2016 debut date on it).

  8. #8
    Senior Member SINFULONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    5,653
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by death2redemptions View Post
    They probably could if they really wanted to but I'm sure they hold off doing it with the breakout rookies to help boost pre-sales the following year (since Series 1 comes out before the following season begins, which means no new rookies to excite customers. Only the ones from the previous season)

    I think it's lame. A players rookie card should correspond with the year they were actually called up. Maybe allow some exceptions with the September call-ups since it's so close to release date and they weren't on the 25-man roster.
    This is part of the reason I dislike the RC logo cards and refuse to recognize them as legit rookies. X player's first MLB licensed card is their only true rookie in my view. Yes, I know many don't see it that way. By the time X player finally has RC logo cards made, he's already had 50 other MLB licensed cards printed years earlier.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Jaypers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    40,445
     cardboardconglomerate
     jaypers413
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by death2redemptions View Post
    Generally speaking, any rookie called up after August 1st (or one of those days in early August) will be in the following year's product & Hoskins debuted on August 10th so regardless the team he played for he'd still be in next years product. Aaron Judge debuted nearly the same day as Hoskins did last year (August 13th I believe) and didn't have a rookie card until the following year as well.
    Actually, it's the all-star break.
    J.P.

    * = can be seen on MiLB.tv

  10. #10
    Senior Member Greg Cleveland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Eau Claire, Wisconsin, United States
    Posts
    4,565
     jagr3boys
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's had a few Topps Now cards. How are they doing on the secondary market as his rookie cards?

    Sent from my SM-N920V using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    Collecting Gary and Joe Gaetti, Ozzie Smith, Kenny Boyer, Albert Pujols, Kirby Puckett, Joe Mauer,and Brian Dinkleman. PM me if you have something you don't need that I might!

    And if you want to friend me on Facebook, please let me know your online handle, since I may not know your real name!



  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,661
     piledriver1
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate this debate. It's just way simpler to do things the way they were done in the first 100 years of the hobby so you don't have all these artificial rules and loopholes. Rhys Hoskins's RCs were in 2014.
    Looking for 2011 Topps Marquee Museum autographs, rare Frank Thomases and Grady Sizemores I don't have

  12. #12
    Administrator cgilmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
    Posts
    35,851
     fcbsportscards
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Does rookie matter or just first topps card?


    If Topps puts out a 2018 card of him with a RC logo the masses will consider it the RC and not a 2017 Panini.
    Check out the FCB Community Sports Card Podcast
    Wanna host? PM Me! We would love to have YOU on the podcast.

  13. #13
    Administrator phillyfan0417's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
    Posts
    33,397
     tse-investments
     phillyfan0417
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smapdi View Post
    I hate this debate. It's just way simpler to do things the way they were done in the first 100 years of the hobby so you don't have all these artificial rules and loopholes. Rhys Hoskins's RCs were in 2014.
    Correct.
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    --Winston Churchill

  14. #14
    Administrator cgilmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
    Posts
    35,851
     fcbsportscards
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Don't mind me, I'll just be over here sipping my Topps Kool Aid
    Check out the FCB Community Sports Card Podcast
    Wanna host? PM Me! We would love to have YOU on the podcast.

  15. #15
    Administrator phillyfan0417's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
    Posts
    33,397
     tse-investments
     phillyfan0417
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-RHYS-HO...wAAOSwr6RZnETE

    Here's what you need to keep in mind...This is the card out now and by the time Topps drops a card, this will all be over.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	#1.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	72817
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    --Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •