Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Buying Boxes off eBay - Things to know??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwinsRube

Jan 29, 2011
Hi All,

Working on my Collector's Choice project has lead me to wanting to buy boxes/packs online, specifically off eBay. I've never done this before so was hoping to gain some insight from those that have. Anything I should be on the lookout for to make sure I'm getting legitimate product?

Thanks!
-Rube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
In general, buying boxes on ebay is risky because they might be searched. Or supposedly people will buy a case of cards and rip until they find the case hit, then sell the rest of the "dead" boxes. But with Collector's Choice I wouldn't worry about it because, IIRC, the best thing to hit is the 1-per-box gold parallel. However, shrinkwrapping is the tell. IIRC, UD in that era always used clear plastic with their logo stamped on it in white. Seals should be tight. A baggy or messy wrap could be an indication of a reseal from a bigger box or something, but this product is low end so it seems like little to be concerned about.

One thing you should watch for is the kind of box you're buying. I think they made 24-pack hobby boxes with a couple different retail boxes of different sizes, usually 20-pack and 8-pack blasters and sometimes sellers accidentally show a hobby box and sell you a blaster or retail box.

Also I wouldn't worry about the "too cheap" angle or buying from an individual for this product. Lots of people might have a box or two socked away that they are sick of staring at and will sell for $15 or whatever. If you get into other, more recent products with bigger possible hits, it's always a risk but still a fairly small one. The big retailers are Dave & Adams, Blowout, GCX (I think are still around?), and if you search ebay you'll see a number of sellers consistently.

Last edited:

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
Agree that bbcexchange is the place to buy from if you're looking for older material. They will also wrap stuff in their shrinkwrap, so if you buy from a third party like on ebay you know it's legit and went through their hands first.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
I have had good luck buying loose boxes off eBay.

Typically I look at their completed auctions to see if they have sold other boxes or if they hit something big from the product and are just trying to sell "dead" boxes.

Members online

Latest posts