Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What's the worse thing to happen to this hobby?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Obviously so many different answers.

Boom?
Speculators?
Over production?
Fakes?

For me, I say when topps got the exclusive because that means no more ud or Donruss fully licensed cards.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

chriscford

Sep 2, 2017
Obviously so many different answers.

Boom?
Speculators?
Over production?
Fakes?

For me, I say when topps got the exclusive because that means no more ud or Donruss fully licensed cards.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app
Definitely the over production of serial numbered cards. The days of there being a definitive rookie/star card are over. Can't call a card a 1/1 or 1/5 or 1/15 or 1/25 and so on when there's 20+ subsets putting these cards out.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
I wholeheartedly agree with the monopoly. My back up answer is the US education system when people say things are "for sell".

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board
My thoughts exactly. Overproduction of serial numbered cards and game used cards as well. I've always felt that instead of cutting up history to put pieces in cards, put in hits for the actual game used item. It would limit a lot of gu sawtches but keep those historical items in tact.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Freedom Card Board mobile app

chriscford

Sep 2, 2017
My thoughts exactly. Overproduction of serial numbered cards and game used cards as well. I've always felt that instead of cutting up history to put pieces in cards, put in hits for the actual game used item. It would limit a lot of gu sawtches but keep those historical items in tact.

I couldn't name a game used patch, non auto card that would garner more than $100 at auction. So over produced and lame they border worthlessness. It's why I refuse to buy Topps series 1 or 2 boxes because I don't want mem cards. At all.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
I couldn't name a game used patch, non auto card that would garner more than $100 at auction. So over produced and lame they border worthlessness. It's why I refuse to buy Topps series 1 or 2 boxes because I don't want mem cards. At all.

Topps Five Star.. How about $1600 (I sold it to an international buyer!)..

View attachment 72986

as for the worst thing to happen in the hobby.. mass over production and people making fake cards so no one trusts game used items anymore..

At least Donruss had some text saying where the patch item was from..

prime2.jpg

Last edited:

TwinsRube

Jan 29, 2011

+1

Having left the hobby basically between 02/03 and '10, this was eye opening to me coming back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
Monopoly is terrible. I think the issue here is that Topps grinds out a good idea and beats it to death. Tek, Ginter/Gyspy, acectate auto's, ect. They get on something good and ride it hard.

chriscford

Sep 2, 2017
Topps Five Star.. How about $1600 (I sold it to an international buyer!)..

View attachment 72986

as for the worst thing to happen in the hobby.. mass over production and people making fake cards so no one trusts game used items anymore..

At least Donruss had some text saying where the patch item was from..

EdgarMartinez-r2d2.jpg
The guy that paid that was an absolute madman.

chriscford

Sep 2, 2017
No, just a collector that wanted it more then others..

How long have you been collecting? Try picking up a Griffey GU Jersey card from 1997 for what you think they might sell for..
I would spend that money on an actual jersey. Wouldn't spend $4 on a butchered sliver.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side

There are actually quiet a few non-autograph memorabilia cards that would bring in well over a hundred dollars at auction but generally it's the very low serial #d patch cards of superstars, patches of players from the 50's or earlier & specialty memorabilia items like batting gloves, logoman, hat logos, plate letters etc.

But yeah, the plain jersey swatches & bat pieces you pull from products like Topps Series 1/2/Update, Heritage & so forth are never going to sell for more than a few bucks (many won't sell at all) unless it's a Trout in which case you might be talking 10 bucks.

Memorabilia cards aren't my thing though...unless they are autographed. I pretty much only collect cards that are autographed (with some exceptions like rookie cards).

chriscford

Sep 2, 2017
There are actually quiet a few non-autograph memorabilia cards that would bring in well over a hundred dollars at auction but generally it's the very low serial #d cards, patches of players from the 50's or earlier & specialty memorabilia items like batting gloves, logoman, hat logos, plate letters etc.

But yeah, the plain jersey swatches & bat pieces you pull from products like Topps Series 1/2/Update, Heritage & so forth are never going to sell for more than a few bucks (many won't sell at all) unless it's a Trout in which case you might be talking 10 bucks.

Memorabilia cards aren't my thing though...unless they are autographed. I pretty much only collect cards that are autographed (with some exceptions like rookie cards).
Indeed, I'm the same way. I can see VERY, VERY, rare premium memorabilia cards going for over $100 but only because they're produced to be expensive and are only produced for those with fat money burning a hole in their pockets.

I'm talking about from modern boxes and packs that your average collector has a shot at off of the shelf. Those are just never going to be worth money. I do like some of the auto/jersey cards but I'd still prefer the straight auto.

OhioCollectibles

Aug 28, 2008
It’s a tie for #1 in my opinion.

DLP losing their license, and Brian Gray.

Brian Gray was only a means to the problem. The problem was prospecters wanted earlier and earlier cards of players and BG filled that want in the hobby. Where else but Razor could you get a card of a 14 (actually 19) year old Dominican kid who wouldn't see the majors for 4-Never years.

chriscford

Sep 2, 2017
Brian Gray was only a means to the problem. The problem was prospecters wanted earlier and earlier cards of players and BG filled that want in the hobby. Where else but Razor could you get a card of a 14 (actually 19) year old Dominican kid who wouldn't see the majors for 4-Never years.
That's definatly what happened to the rookie card. Now people pay more for a prospect, non rookie card than they do actually rookies. For example, they started mass producing Judge cards in 2013! 4 years prior to his rookie season. Now, for whatever reason, the prospect cards outsell the rookie cards.

We're at the point now that if you asked the average collector what's the best rookie card of any given post 1997 player, he wouldn't have an answer. If you asked a seller the same question, he'd name the prospect card.

Members online