User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Players in History

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Topnotchsy View Post
    Was I the only one who had never heard of Camilo Pascual before?
    I'm old enough that I saw him play!
    Finish your sets! Check my sportlots inventory. 350,000 cards listed!
    Shipping capped at $3.00 for any order in the United States
    I'm letting my Football and Hockey collections go - I've lowered prices almost all of my football and hockey cards on sportlots. Mostly inserts, SPs and premium cards - take a look!

http://www.sportlots.com/dealers/?dealer=tribe426

piledriver1
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, but my point is the "one against the field" approach is a narrow route to answer to a broad question and can lead to unexpected results. If the question is "who was a better home run hitter, Kiner or Aaron?" and I decided to settle it by seeing who led the league most, then the answer is obviously Kiner. This takes into account nothing to do with longevity, consistency, or other aspects that might make one player better than another, because what does "better" mean? Nothing intrinsically in comparative discussions like this.
    Looking for 2011 Topps Marquee Museum autographs, rare Frank Thomases and Grady Sizemores I don't have

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why isn't Ty Cobb on that list?
    I collect Ken Griffey Jr, Ryan Howard, Steve Carlton and the rest of the Phillies.
    My Site:
    http://bradswebsite.synthasite.com/

Matthew 21:22
    "And all things, whatsoever you shall ask in prayer, believing, you shall recieve."

Featured Contributor
    The best players in history?
    Super Moderator
     Topnotchsy
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bongo870 View Post
    why isn't Ty Cobb on that list?
    Who is missing? 3 players in ESPN’s top 10 all-time did not make this list. Ty Cobb (8 on ESPN list) only lead the league twice, largely thanks to a career that overlapped with the top pitcher (Walter Johnson) and hitter (Babe Ruth) on our list. Lou Gehrig (7 on ESPN list) led the league just once. He too overlapped with Gehrig, and later in his career, Jimmie Foxx took the honors 3 times. Finally, Hank Aaron (3 on ESPN list) only won once. Aaron’s tally is a combination of playing at the same time as Willie Mays and Bob Gibson, and the fact that his career represented an overall body of work that may be more impressive for its sustained excellence, than for a few incredible seasons

Featured Contributor
    The best players in history?
    Super Moderator
     Topnotchsy
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smapdi View Post
    Yes, but my point is the "one against the field" approach is a narrow route to answer to a broad question and can lead to unexpected results. If the question is "who was a better home run hitter, Kiner or Aaron?" and I decided to settle it by seeing who led the league most, then the answer is obviously Kiner. This takes into account nothing to do with longevity, consistency, or other aspects that might make one player better than another, because what does "better" mean? Nothing intrinsically in comparative discussions like this.
    For sure. My point is that we do that currently when we discuss the number MVP awards or Cy Young Awards a player has won. I feel like this approach improves on that metric, despite being a very flawed metric for truly making a list of all-time greats. As my final bullet notes, 3 of ESPN's top 10 all time were left off this list (of players who lead the league 3 times or more). At the same time, I do think it helps highlight the sheer dominance of players like Ruth, Mays and Johnson...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12