Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What are some of the forgotten sets that some of us are working on..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I even picked up a book to match.. "***** Leagues Autograph Guide"

https://www.amazon.com/*****-Leagues-Autograph-Guide/dp/093062551X

My ***** League book collection has been growing. I have that guide as well as:

The Biographical Encyclopedia of the ***** Baseball Leagues
Outsider Baseball: The Weird World of Hardball on the Fringe, 1876–1950
Barnstorming to Heaven: Syd ******* and His Great Black Teams

I've been able to pick up some really rare ***** League signatures including:
- Cannonball Redding signed contact (in the guide you have it indicates that no Redding signature exists. He was illiterate and the signature is written in print.)
- Alejandro Oms signed passport
- 3 Pedro "Perucho" Cepeda signed contracts

To be honest I've mostly moved away from cards, but felt like I want to still own the 2001 Stitches in Time autograph.

Last edited:

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
I was looking thru my cards and I came across these.. It's a small set.. that didn't cost me that much to do. I just wish that they could have had a few more players from that team..
I might have to have someone do customs of Walter Mathau and Vic Morrow..

View attachment 73201View attachment 73202

View attachment 73203View attachment 73204

View attachment 73205View attachment 73206

View attachment 73207View attachment 73208

View attachment 73209View attachment 73210

View attachment 73211View attachment 73212

forgerelli

Apr 4, 2013
My ***** League book collection has been growing. I have that guide as well as:

The Biographical Encyclopedia of the ***** Baseball Leagues
Outsider Baseball: The Weird World of Hardball on the Fringe, 1876–1950
Barnstorming to Heaven: Syd ******* and His Great Black Teams

I've been able to pick up some really rare ***** League signatures including:
- Cannonball Redding signed contact (in the guide you have it indicates that no Redding signature exists. He was illiterate and the signature is written in print.)
- Alejandro Oms signed passport
- 3 Pedro "Perucho" Cepeda signed contracts

To be honest I've mostly moved away from cards, but felt like I want to still own the 2001 Stitches in Time autograph.

I'd love to see the Redding and Oms items. I have a small library of ***** League books. One of my all time favorite baseball topics to read about.

Scott F

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
I'd love to see the Redding and Oms items. I have a small library of ***** League books. One of my all time favorite baseball topics to read about.

Scott F

It's a remarkable part of American history. Obviously there's the very negative reasons why such a league needed to exist, but there's also incredible stories and people.

Richard Cannonball Redding Contract 1.jpg16.jpg

Alejandro Oms Passport Picture Signed.jpg

forgerelli

Apr 4, 2013
It's a remarkable part of American history. Obviously there's the very negative reasons why such a league needed to exist, but there's also incredible stories and people.

View attachment 73216View attachment 73217

View attachment 73218

Absolutely incredible items. Very few people know how rare those are. Even on a baseball collection message board. Truly world class.

Have you spoken with Kevin Keating about the Redding auto? I'd be curious to know what he thinks about it. Redding was one of the guys that I thought would make the HOF when they did the big ***** League selection but didn't. I think there's still a chance he could make it some day too. If he did the value of that contract would soar.

Scott F

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
I halfheartedly worked on the 2011 Topps Sparkle set of the retired players. I never got further than 15-20 of them iirc though. It is such a beautiful looking set though!

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
I was looking thru my cards and I came across these.. It's a small set.. that didn't cost me that much to do. I just wish that they could have had a few more players from that team..
I might have to have someone do customs of Walter Mathau and Vic Morrow..

View attachment 73201View attachment 73202

View attachment 73203View attachment 73204

View attachment 73205View attachment 73206

View attachment 73207View attachment 73208

View attachment 73209View attachment 73210

View attachment 73211View attachment 73212

I was named after Tanner from the Bad News Bears :)

Jan 14, 2009
Amongst other sets, only one I can think of that I need the most of is the 1992 Topps Gold Winners Set. I have about 800 doubles but I need 150+ more to have a complete set... Anyone have some for trade?

Not sure if you collect variations or build master sets but 1992 Topps Gold Winners has a ton of variations (excluding foil color variations). For example, all horizontal cards have two different sheet codes, ex. F* and C*. Many cards have the ToppsGold ghost logo on back printed in two different places, often very noticeable (Draft Picks and All-Stars for example). The hardest variations appear to be the non-horizontal subjects with differing print codes. I no longer have a master list on hand but if interested, it may be worth sorting through your 800 doubles.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Still trying to chip away at a few:

* 2002 Topps 206 Dodgers master mini set (minus the /5 and /1 Bazookas)
* 2004 Topps World Series programs
* 2006 Topps Declaration of Independence
* 2006 Topps Turkey Red red border master set

Calripkenjrcollector

Dec 12, 2009
National City, California
Not sure if you collect variations or build master sets but 1992 Topps Gold Winners has a ton of variations (excluding foil color variations). For example, all horizontal cards have two different sheet codes, ex. F* and C*. Many cards have the ToppsGold ghost logo on back printed in two different places, often very noticeable (Draft Picks and All-Stars for example). The hardest variations appear to be the non-horizontal subjects with differing print codes. I no longer have a master list on hand but if interested, it may be worth sorting through your 800 doubles.

Thanks for the info, I thought some golds looked off color but didn't really paid attention to it then. I'll have to dig them up and double check including the codes. Thanks.....

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Absolutely incredible items. Very few people know how rare those are. Even on a baseball collection message board. Truly world class.

Have you spoken with Kevin Keating about the Redding auto? I'd be curious to know what he thinks about it. Redding was one of the guys that I thought would make the HOF when they did the big ***** League selection but didn't. I think there's still a chance he could make it some day too. If he did the value of that contract would soar.

Scott F

Thanks Scott! I' was pretty glad to find these.

I haven't spoken to Kevin on the Redding. Are you in touch with him by any chance?

Do you have any ***** League items?

autocut

e763902edf1ec80d2dfb3171847a50a6.jpg

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

forgerelli

Apr 4, 2013
Thanks Scott! I' was pretty glad to find these.

I haven't spoken to Kevin on the Redding. Are you in touch with him by any chance?

Do you have any ***** League items?

I bought some stuff off him in the 90's when I discovered the ***** Leagues through Ken Burns' Baseball documentary. I did a lot of window shopping in the old Sports Collectors Digests (wish I had some money back then, could have picked up some treasures on the cheap). I mostly just bought books and learned as much as I could about the ***** Leagues, it just fascinates me. I don't have anything really rare, Judy Johnson/Buck Leonard signed 8x10, a Satchell Paige signed HOF postcard, that kind of stuff. I did attend a few ***** League conventions/signings and met a ton of guys and got signatures from a lot of them.

I'm sure Keating has an online presence where you could contact him.

I'd love to know what you paid for those autos.

Scott F

domino2012

Aug 17, 2008
Mourmelon le Grand, France
Hello all!
Still working on :
2005 Leaf Gold autos /10 (I have completed 64% of the set) 45 of 70
2005 Leaf autos (rookies only) (I have completed 78% of the set) 25 of 32
2005 Leaf Patch off my Back autos /10 (I only need 1 card: Omar Vizquel which I NEVER see pop up anywhere)
2007 Topps Finest Black Refractors /99 (I only need 17 cards to complete this monster)
I completed the 2006 Bowman White /120 (both the base and rookies including all the autos)

Any help would be awesome!

Members online

Latest posts