Please don't adblock plus me bro

User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 84

Thread: What are some of the forgotten sets that some of us are working on..

  1. #46
    Featured Contributor
    The best players in history?
    Super Moderator
    Topnotchsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    8,943
     Topnotchsy
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinbreaker View Post
    I even picked up a book to match.. "Negro Leagues Autograph Guide"

    https://www.amazon.com/Negro-Leagues.../dp/093062551X
    My Negro League book collection has been growing. I have that guide as well as:

    The Biographical Encyclopedia of the Negro Baseball Leagues
    Outsider Baseball: The Weird World of Hardball on the Fringe, 1876–1950
    Barnstorming to Heaven: Syd Pollock and His Great Black Teams

    I've been able to pick up some really rare Negro League signatures including:
    - Cannonball Redding signed contact (in the guide you have it indicates that no Redding signature exists. He was illiterate and the signature is written in print.)
    - Alejandro Oms signed passport
    - 3 Pedro "Perucho" Cepeda signed contracts

    To be honest I've mostly moved away from cards, but felt like I want to still own the 2001 Stitches in Time autograph.
    Last edited by Topnotchsy; 09-10-2017 at 12:54 AM.

  2. #47
    Senior Member Pinbreaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Aliso Viejo, CA
    Posts
    9,147
     Pinbreaker
     pinbreaker
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was looking thru my cards and I came across these.. It's a small set.. that didn't cost me that much to do. I just wish that they could have had a few more players from that team..
    I might have to have someone do customs of Walter Mathau and Vic Morrow..

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blunt-a.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	73201Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blunt-b.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	73202

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cavagnaro-a.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	73203Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cavagnaro-b.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	73204

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pollock-a.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	73205Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pollock-b.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	73206

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stambaugh-a.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	73207Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stambaugh-b.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	73208

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	haley-a.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	73209Click image for larger version. 

Name:	haley-b.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	73210

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oneal-a.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	73211Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oneal-b.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	73212

  3. #48
    Junior Member forgerelli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    201
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Topnotchsy View Post
    My Negro League book collection has been growing. I have that guide as well as:

    The Biographical Encyclopedia of the Negro Baseball Leagues
    Outsider Baseball: The Weird World of Hardball on the Fringe, 1876–1950
    Barnstorming to Heaven: Syd Pollock and His Great Black Teams

    I've been able to pick up some really rare Negro League signatures including:
    - Cannonball Redding signed contact (in the guide you have it indicates that no Redding signature exists. He was illiterate and the signature is written in print.)
    - Alejandro Oms signed passport
    - 3 Pedro "Perucho" Cepeda signed contracts

    To be honest I've mostly moved away from cards, but felt like I want to still own the 2001 Stitches in Time autograph.
    I'd love to see the Redding and Oms items. I have a small library of Negro League books. One of my all time favorite baseball topics to read about.

    Scott F
    Mariano Rivera Super Collector. Always buying rare Mo's - PSA's, Auto's, Patches, Printing Plates, or any other rare Mo's. I PAY MORE THAN ANYONE FOR MARIANO'S I NEED.

  4. #49
    Featured Contributor
    The best players in history?
    Super Moderator
    Topnotchsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    8,943
     Topnotchsy
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by forgerelli View Post
    I'd love to see the Redding and Oms items. I have a small library of Negro League books. One of my all time favorite baseball topics to read about.

    Scott F
    It's a remarkable part of American history. Obviously there's the very negative reasons why such a league needed to exist, but there's also incredible stories and people.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Richard Cannonball Redding Contract 1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	413.9 KB 
ID:	73216Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	73217

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alejandro Oms Passport Picture Signed.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	73218

  5. #50
    Junior Member forgerelli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    201
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Topnotchsy View Post
    It's a remarkable part of American history. Obviously there's the very negative reasons why such a league needed to exist, but there's also incredible stories and people.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Richard Cannonball Redding Contract 1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	413.9 KB 
ID:	73216Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	73217

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alejandro Oms Passport Picture Signed.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	73218
    Absolutely incredible items. Very few people know how rare those are. Even on a baseball collection message board. Truly world class.

    Have you spoken with Kevin Keating about the Redding auto? I'd be curious to know what he thinks about it. Redding was one of the guys that I thought would make the HOF when they did the big Negro League selection but didn't. I think there's still a chance he could make it some day too. If he did the value of that contract would soar.

    Scott F
    Mariano Rivera Super Collector. Always buying rare Mo's - PSA's, Auto's, Patches, Printing Plates, or any other rare Mo's. I PAY MORE THAN ANYONE FOR MARIANO'S I NEED.

  6. #51
    Featured Contributor
    Bridging the Gap
    Senior Member
    mouschi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,606
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I halfheartedly worked on the 2011 Topps Sparkle set of the retired players. I never got further than 15-20 of them iirc though. It is such a beautiful looking set though!
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME!
    Do you have rare Jose Canseco cards? Let me know! www.CansecoCollector.com

  7. #52
    Featured Contributor
    Bridging the Gap
    Senior Member
    mouschi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,606
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinbreaker View Post
    I was looking thru my cards and I came across these.. It's a small set.. that didn't cost me that much to do. I just wish that they could have had a few more players from that team..
    I might have to have someone do customs of Walter Mathau and Vic Morrow..

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blunt-a.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	73201Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blunt-b.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	73202

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cavagnaro-a.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	73203Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cavagnaro-b.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	73204

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pollock-a.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	73205Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pollock-b.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	73206

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stambaugh-a.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	73207Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stambaugh-b.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	73208

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	haley-a.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	73209Click image for larger version. 

Name:	haley-b.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	73210

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oneal-a.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	73211Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oneal-b.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	73212
    I was named after Tanner from the Bad News Bears
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME!
    Do you have rare Jose Canseco cards? Let me know! www.CansecoCollector.com

  8. #53
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    511
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calripkenjrcollector View Post
    Amongst other sets, only one I can think of that I need the most of is the 1992 Topps Gold Winners Set. I have about 800 doubles but I need 150+ more to have a complete set... Anyone have some for trade?
    Not sure if you collect variations or build master sets but 1992 Topps Gold Winners has a ton of variations (excluding foil color variations). For example, all horizontal cards have two different sheet codes, ex. F* and C*. Many cards have the ToppsGold ghost logo on back printed in two different places, often very noticeable (Draft Picks and All-Stars for example). The hardest variations appear to be the non-horizontal subjects with differing print codes. I no longer have a master list on hand but if interested, it may be worth sorting through your 800 doubles.
    http://junkwaxgems.wordpress.com/ My Error & Variation blog, focusing on the little-known rarities of the junk era.

    http://www.comc.com/Users/JunkWaxGems,sr My COMC account, focusing on oddball, variations and promos.

  9. #54
    Senior Member TNP777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    the 209
    Posts
    3,357
     dodgergeo
     dodgergeo
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still trying to chip away at a few:

    * 2002 Topps 206 Dodgers master mini set (minus the /5 and /1 Bazookas)
    * 2004 Topps World Series programs
    * 2006 Topps Declaration of Independence
    * 2006 Topps Turkey Red red border master set

  10. #55
    Member Calripkenjrcollector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    National City, California
    Posts
    813
     Bay-buyer-09
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksoncoupage View Post
    Not sure if you collect variations or build master sets but 1992 Topps Gold Winners has a ton of variations (excluding foil color variations). For example, all horizontal cards have two different sheet codes, ex. F* and C*. Many cards have the ToppsGold ghost logo on back printed in two different places, often very noticeable (Draft Picks and All-Stars for example). The hardest variations appear to be the non-horizontal subjects with differing print codes. I no longer have a master list on hand but if interested, it may be worth sorting through your 800 doubles.
    Thanks for the info, I thought some golds looked off color but didn't really paid attention to it then. I'll have to dig them up and double check including the codes. Thanks.....
    ***** ***** *****



    ***** ***** *****

  11. #56
    Featured Contributor
    The best players in history?
    Super Moderator
    Topnotchsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    8,943
     Topnotchsy
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by forgerelli View Post
    Absolutely incredible items. Very few people know how rare those are. Even on a baseball collection message board. Truly world class.

    Have you spoken with Kevin Keating about the Redding auto? I'd be curious to know what he thinks about it. Redding was one of the guys that I thought would make the HOF when they did the big Negro League selection but didn't. I think there's still a chance he could make it some day too. If he did the value of that contract would soar.

    Scott F
    Thanks Scott! I' was pretty glad to find these.

    I haven't spoken to Kevin on the Redding. Are you in touch with him by any chance?

    Do you have any Negro League items?

  12. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
    Posts
    2,344
     autocut
     autobilia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Sent from my 2PZC5 using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by IUjapander
    Teaching your kids the value of cards is an important lesson.
    -------------------------------------------
    Looking for any Fred Williamson cards #'d /10 or less.

    -------------

  13. #58
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
    Posts
    2,344
     autocut
     autobilia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Sent from my 2PZC5 using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by IUjapander
    Teaching your kids the value of cards is an important lesson.
    -------------------------------------------
    Looking for any Fred Williamson cards #'d /10 or less.

    -------------

  14. #59
    Junior Member forgerelli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    201
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Topnotchsy View Post
    Thanks Scott! I' was pretty glad to find these.

    I haven't spoken to Kevin on the Redding. Are you in touch with him by any chance?

    Do you have any Negro League items?
    I bought some stuff off him in the 90's when I discovered the Negro Leagues through Ken Burns' Baseball documentary. I did a lot of window shopping in the old Sports Collectors Digests (wish I had some money back then, could have picked up some treasures on the cheap). I mostly just bought books and learned as much as I could about the Negro Leagues, it just fascinates me. I don't have anything really rare, Judy Johnson/Buck Leonard signed 8x10, a Satchell Paige signed HOF postcard, that kind of stuff. I did attend a few Negro League conventions/signings and met a ton of guys and got signatures from a lot of them.

    I'm sure Keating has an online presence where you could contact him.

    I'd love to know what you paid for those autos.

    Scott F
    Mariano Rivera Super Collector. Always buying rare Mo's - PSA's, Auto's, Patches, Printing Plates, or any other rare Mo's. I PAY MORE THAN ANYONE FOR MARIANO'S I NEED.

  15. #60
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Mourmelon le Grand, France
    Posts
    1,384
     dominiqperrin
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello all!
    Still working on :
    2005 Leaf Gold autos /10 (I have completed 64% of the set) 45 of 70
    2005 Leaf autos (rookies only) (I have completed 78% of the set) 25 of 32
    2005 Leaf Patch off my Back autos /10 (I only need 1 card: Omar Vizquel which I NEVER see pop up anywhere)
    2007 Topps Finest Black Refractors /99 (I only need 17 cards to complete this monster)
    I completed the 2006 Bowman White /120 (both the base and rookies including all the autos)

    Any help would be awesome!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •