Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Some important info for those who ship to Canada

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
I typically ship Canadian packages out of the PO I work at, using the standard Custom Dec Form 2976 (the 3-ply form, roughly 4X6, everyone has seen them and maybe even has a stack hanging around). Never had a problem having a package ship, but I have had issues with them being incredibly delayed or actually returned. So today, I went to a different PO and tried to mail a Canadian package with a 2976, and was turned down. Last summer, the USPS rolled out a replacement version of this form, the 2976-R (same info but much bigger, requires tracking # stickers to be stuck on before shipping), along with the move to First Class Flat Rate Int'l shipping (there's a grace period where both are still valid forms). So what has happened is that some POs have a system set up to only be able to ship with these new customs forms. No big deal, just took a minute, but what was interesting is that some Canadian POs require this new form as well! So if you ship from a US PO allowing the use of the old forms, to a Canadian office requiring the new forms (which you won't know ahead of time), good luck! You might see your package come back in a few weeks if someone up there wants to be a dick about it!

Dec 4, 2008
I typically ship Canadian packages out of the PO I work at, using the standard Custom Dec Form 2976 (the 3-ply form, roughly 4X6, everyone has seen them and maybe even has a stack hanging around). Never had a problem having a package ship, but I have had issues with them being incredibly delayed or actually returned. So today, I went to a different PO and tried to mail a Canadian package with a 2976, and was turned down. Last summer, the USPS rolled out a replacement version of this form, the 2976-R (same info but much bigger, requires tracking # stickers to be stuck on before shipping), along with the move to First Class Flat Rate Int'l shipping (there's a grace period where both are still valid forms). So what has happened is that some POs have a system set up to only be able to ship with these new customs forms. No big deal, just took a minute, but what was interesting is that some Canadian POs require this new form as well! So if you ship from a US PO allowing the use of the old forms, to a Canadian office requiring the new forms (which you won't know ahead of time), good luck! You might see your package come back in a few weeks if someone up there wants to be a dick about it!
Ouch, thanks for that heads up! I try to limit my shipments to Canada to thin singles that can go in a PWE or a padded mailer with a couple dollars of postage. All the more reason to avoid packages to the Great White North. Not worth the hassle.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Speaking of, don't try to send too much through in bubble mailers without Int'l Flat Rate shipping. I have had packages returned to me that the clerk "helpfully" put through for me at the lower rate, and it didn't fly once it went on its way.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
Maybe you could help me better understand which option I should pick when sending cards to Canada. They'll be in your basic #000 4x6 bubble mailer inbetween cardboard on inside for protection. Weight is 3-4 oz. If I print my own label through paypal shipping I have two options that I'm going between.
1) First Class Mail Int'l "Large Envelope" option comes to not really much more than sending domestically First Class.
2) First Class Package Int'l "Package" option comes to $6 more than sending domestically First Class.

If you have worked in a post office, what's the difference in the two services...something must be since it's 3x as much money. Will option#1 suffice for a bubble mailer in the 3-4 oz range...I guess my question really comes down to is a 4x6 000 bubble mailer considered a "large envelope" or a "package"? I understand neither has tracking included.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
According to the USPS guidelines, a Int'l Large Envelope has to be no thicker than 3/4" and uniformly thick (like a magazine or catalog, known as flats in the PO world, which makes sense as this is called Flat Rate). Not easy to send a larger package through that'll meet those qualifications, unless just one or two cards. Had to look that up, I'm on the delivery side, not the clerk side, so I don't know all this stuff by heart, but I've returned more than my share of packages that people tried to send that just didn't cut it.

Members online

Latest posts