Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2017 MVP Predictions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
Trout and Bryant opened the year as the betting favorites. A couple months ago it looked like Judge had AL locked up but he hit a bit of a cold spell. Any chance he can still pull it out?

My money is on Altuve for AL at this point. And I'd like to see Goldschmidt finally get his, but I have a feeling he'll be runner up for a 3rd time...perhaps to Blackmon?

Also, what an awesome year Votto quietly had! Is it just me or does he get so little buzz that it almost seems as if he retired? The dude is an on-base machine and I can only imagine what he'd have done if he were an Astro/Rocky/Yankee.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I agree, Altuve all the way. No chance for Judge. NL is a tougher call. Votto is so underrated. I feel like people in Cincy wanted him gone but as a Brewer fan I would kill if ONE of our guys could shorten up with two strikes lol I like Goldschmidt's chances. The list of players who would be God if they played in NY is massive haha

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
NL - Goldschmidt, Blackmon or Stanton
AL - Altuve

I realize Stanton likely won't make it with contending team but if he reaches 60 HR I feel like it will be enough. Otherwise, I feel it's a close call between Blackmon & Goldy. What they do for the remainder of the season will dictate the winner. I wouldn't rule out Harper or Arenado either.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
Usually I'd say it will probably go to a stud on a playoff team (Goldschmidt or Blackmon), but with Stanton putting up a monster year, I wouldn't be surprised to see him take home the MVP award, especially with all the media hype he's getting.

In the AL, Altuve is probably deserving, but even with the slump, Judge is probably a top-3 candidate. Trout missed some time, but he hasn't missed a beat since he returned.

In conclusion, no clue.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I think it will be Altuve and Stanton as long as Stanton ends up with around 60 homers.

I think Votto deserves to win as of now in the NL.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

OhioCollectibles

Aug 28, 2008
I think MVP is a fun product to open. Relativly inexpensive and a great introduction to collecting Hockey cards with great inserts and fun hits.

I collect Chet Lemon

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
If the Angels make the playoffs (currently 1 gb from WC 2) I think Trout should win, I'm not sure anyone has a bigger impact on his team. If they miss, I agree with Altuve. National league I say Goldy, again he's a monster in all phases of the game. I think Blackmon and Arenado will cost each other too many votes. I guess Stanton is a contender but for me he's 4th or 5th, not a real playoff contender? Not a real MVP candidate to me.

I agree with the thought on Votto, he will be the kind of guy that when he retires some people will lift their head and say "I didn't know he was still around". If he was in another city and on a good team he might get the attention he deserves.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Mike Trout and Joey Votto

edit: thats who SHOULD win when the season ends. who will win is possibly picked of the hat. 2002 AL 2000 NL 1995 AL etc etc :confused:

Last edited:

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Mike Trout and Joey Votto

edit: thats who SHOULD win when the season ends. who will win is possibly picked of the hat. 2002 AL 2000 NL 1995 AL etc etc :confused:

I'm curious to hear your reasons why Votto should win the MVP. Cinncy is 16.5 back in the division and 14.5 back from a wild card. If you took him off that team they would still be in last place. No disrespect to Votto, he's having a great season.
I would be in favor of renaming the award Most Outstanding Player, but until that happens it's gotta be someone on a contending team for me.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
I'm curious to hear your reasons why Votto should win the MVP. Cinncy is 16.5 back in the division and 14.5 back from a wild card. If you took him off that team they would still be in last place. No disrespect to Votto, he's having a great season.
I would be in favor of renaming the award Most Outstanding Player, but until that happens it's gotta be someone on a contending team for me.

I can agree that change needs to be made, the award is a mess.

I've never read any official MLB document (and have looked) that states players on playoff teams should get a bonus in voting... it was supposed to be an individual award to contrast the team award that is winning the WS. :) It seems to be creation of the writers who vote to keep up the views going into Oct. A MVP award should really have historical value due to its correctness, and when a team gets hyped then loses in the playoffs picking a guy on a winning team looks really bad.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/awards/awards_2002.shtml

The AL race in 2002 :lol: The A's were a 103 win team because they had the behemoth Vito (7.1 WAR) Hudson (7.0 WAR) and Mudler (4.6 WAR) Nowadays looking back at that award it needs some mighty explaining, as the guy who had better defense, better power, better walks, better WAR lost in a landslide. :shock: So I don't think team should matter in the individual award... A-rod brought the most to his team that year, its just his team didn't bring any value to him.

As for why Votto over Stanton, I think Votto has a better chance of being consistent down the stretch. I will acknowledge that both my picks right now are slightly behind, but Stanton is known for massive streaks then massive slumps. BUT if he keeps this up somehow he 100% deserves to win.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Ok, I like this, coherent discussion. I am on board. Here's my thoughts, first, let's rename it, let's make it the MOP and truly declare the most outstanding player, take the team aspect out. Second, if I was casting a vote I need to tie value to something, to me the most logical would be wins...playoff contention. So in the case of poor Joey Votto, with or without him his team sucks, not making a post season run. Where if you took a Stanton off the Marlins, no way they are close. If you remove Goldschmidt I don't know if the Diamondbacks make it and on down the line. That's how I draw the line in the sand.

Sent from my XT1585 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012

Ahh, the age-old argument of "What does mvp REALLY mean?" Maybe Votto was most valuable to Cincy because perhaps he single-handedly prevented them from having the worst record ever? It's just hypothetical (I'm not saying they are THAT bad without him), but would that not constitute "valuable"?

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Ahh, the age-old argument of "What does mvp REALLY mean?" Maybe Votto was most valuable to Cincy because perhaps he single-handedly prevented them from having the worst record ever? It's just hypothetical (I'm not saying they are THAT bad without him), but would that not constitute "valuable"?

You are 100% right, there is definitely value in that, that's why I'd like the name changed. Is there enough value in that to give him the award rather than someone who makes the difference between being a third place team and sitting in October or being a wild card and having a shot at the ultimate goal of winning a world series.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
You are 100% right, there is definitely value in that, that's why I'd like the name changed. Is there enough value in that to give him the award rather than someone who makes the difference between being a third place team and sitting in October or being a wild card and having a shot at the ultimate goal of winning a world series.

I've always felt Most Valuable Player was just a synonym for Most Outstanding Player, which in turn was a synonym for Best Player of the Year, etc.. I personally have never tied the term "valuable" to team performance like others do. I don't even recall that conversation being a thing in the 80's (although I was just a kid in the 80's). It seems like that's something that the talking heads on ESPN just started talking about one day and now all of a sudden everyone feels the need to redefine what MVP is.

A player who puts up an outstanding performance is valuable, period. Valuable to his own team AND valuable to other teams who go after those same players during free agency and offer them boatloads of money. I could see voters taking into account who the teammates are of a given player who's being considered for the award, because teammate performance has the potential to inflate the candidate's stats. But team wins can be attributed to so many things, including injuries, defense/pitching, offense, strength of schedule, etc. So it just doesn't make any sense to me to take team wins into consideration.

Also, on a separate idea...not like Trout isn't amazing and worthy of MVP consideration for every year he's been in the league, but he seems to be the "darling" who will get votes no matter what because the writers have simply fallen in love with the guy. He no doubt had an amazing year in 2012, but I'm shocked how many people I spoke to fought for the guy over Miguel Cabrera who just won the triple crown on a team with slightly less offensive power.

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
Trout pretty much has the AL MVP locked up. he's just that good. Altuve may give him a run. Jose Ramirez is a dark horse candidate - check out his #s.

Goldy, Blackmon, or Stanton for NL. Maybe Arenado if he finishes out the season in stellar fashion (please let this be very, very true!)

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
2012 was the first year I remember WAR being heavily discussed as a tool to determine a players season. I still can't believe people said WAR was a better indicator of a season than a triple crown.

Sent from my XT1585 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

I would argue WAR is a better indicator of a players all-around value than 3 random offensive stats, as they only represent offense (and not the most important ones) and leave out defense & base running abilities (speed).

But the thing is, a triple crown is incredibly tough to achieve, not only via skill but an incredible amount of luck is necessary. If you're playing for a team that has poor overall offense or hit in the leadoff spot chances are you won't win the RBI category. This is one of those stats like win/loss that are more indicative of the team & positioning of the lineup, than the player himself.

And while the Triple Crown may only represent offense (versus WAR that puts a value on everything), historically speaking the MVP has been awarded to the best offensive players with less attention to speed & defense.

Considering both of these things, awarding the Triple Crown winner (and not the WAR leader) was the correct thing to do. Regardless, I do believe WAR is one of the best tools out there to measure the all-around value of a player's season (but personally I do not like to rely on only one stat to determine this).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts