Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Card shops in hurricane areas.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I don't think there should be too much concern about flood damaged cards - Topps can reprint them. ;)

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
This could be extended to anything (home fires, flooding or any kind including burst pipes, collections being tossed by family members after death, recycling, etc). I'm sure a small amount of stuff is lost forever each year.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
With all of the focus on the actual hurricanes, I wonder how much memorabilia and cards get lost/destroyed from those hurricanes. Floods, wind blowing them away, etc. I bet it's massive with mandatory evacuation.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

:( I don't even want to think about this it makes me so sad! I know it's probably different for actual shop owners who face real hurricane threats, but I feel like I would do everything I could to save ALL of it, and certainly the valuable stuff. Drive by the shop with a couple large vehicles, empty it out, and then get the hell outta Dodge. Once I literally ran into a burning apartment building to grab a few of my most valuable card boxes, so given a few days notice I would try to save everything I could.

But yeah...that's some grim, grim thinking right there and makes a sad situation that much sadder.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I'm sure the shop owners took everything of value with them when they evacuated the area.
Of course during these tough times as card shop owners, some of them would probably just rather have the insurance money, since most of it would cover the cards they'd never sell otherwise.

DragonWagon

May 4, 2015
I would imagine that if you owned a card shop, then you would have insurance on your inventory. It doesn't make it any less of a horrible situation to lose it all. At least you will live another day to rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
I would imagine that if you owned a card shop, then you would have insurance on your inventory. It doesn't make it any less of a horrible situation to lose it all. At least you will live another day to rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Not sure how it works for shop owners, but I was told I needed collectible's insurance (not homeowner's) to insure a trading card collection, and as such, everything I wanted insured had to be appraised. I wasn't willing to fork out the money for an appraisal so I took other measures to ensure my most prized items would be secure. I imagine card shops have frequent enough turnover that it wouldn't be feasible to constantly have their merchandise appraised, and therefore they wouldn't be able to get much of it insured (except perhaps unopened boxes/sets with MSRPs). Businesses like that probably have a different type of insurance that covers their stuff, but when things like card condition, market trends, etc. come in to play to affect the value of a card, I wouldn't be surprised if it's not that simple.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I would imagine that if you owned a card shop, then you would have insurance on your inventory.

I would bet not many have it. I see it all the time on the local news about businesses in various industries burglarized, vandalized, closed down temporarily due to a major fire in their strip mall or nearby condos-under-construction-complex and they all cry to the media about how much it's cost them in inventory or revenue. There is insurance for those situations but it's obvious they didn't take it. I bet LCS profit margins are thin enough or sloppy enough that they can't afford insurance in case of natural disaster or theft or other business interruptions.

as for my own collection insurance, as pointed out in a recent post, it can be a specialized insurance with certain requirements for proof of ownership of the parts of the collection to be insured. Since I don't want the special rider from my insurance company, my most valuable stuff is in a safety deposit box and I"m not too worried about the flooding of the other things because I'm on super high ground.

Dec 4, 2008
There was a bit of Galarraga/Vizquel mania last year. The two deep pocketed buyers dropped in the neighborhood of $1m each on cards. Both were in the Miami. Hope those cards are ok! But seriously, the real value of the cards outside those 2 buyers is maybe 5-10% of the amounts paid. Wish I sold everything I had while the getting was good!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online