Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Brewers lose their ace Jimmy Nelson for the rest of season in midst of postseason push

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
http://m.mlb.com/news/article/253386250/brewers-jimmy-nelson-to-miss-rest-of-season/

This is terrible news for the Brewers, Jimmy Nelson (and my fantasy team) :(

He was injured diving headfirst back to 1st base. After receiving an MRI scan Saturday morning it revealed he had a partial labrum tear and a strained rotator cuff in his right shoulder.

Not many people outside those in Milwaukee realize just how good of a breakthrough season Jimmy Nelson was putting together. You might look at his 3.49 ERA and think that he's certainly put together a solid season but not worthy of Cy Young consideration when in fact, he is deserving of just that. I know not everyone cares for sabermetrics but for those who do, according to fangraphs, his 4.9 fWAR ranks him as the 4th best pitcher in the major leagues & the 2nd best in the NL (behind Scherzer). I'm not claiming that I believe he's the 2nd best pitcher in the NL but I do think had he been able to complete his final 4 starts this year in his usual fashion he'd finish top 5 in Cy Young voting (or receive some votes at the very least). He finished one strikeout shy of the 10th 200-strikeout season in Brewers history.

2017 Season: 12-6, 3.49 ERA/3.03 FIP, 171.1 IP 199 SO/48 BB, 1.25 WHIP (4.9 fWAR)

He ranks top 10 in the NL with the following stats:
3.03 FIP - 4th
3.14 xFIP - 2nd
3.49 ERA - 9th
199 Strikeouts - 3rd
10.2 K/9 - 5th
4.15 K/BB - 6th
0.8 HR/9 - 2nd
2.5 BB/9 - 10th
175.1 IP - 9th

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
I've been saying it for years - bring the DH to the NL.

That is all.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
To say I'm devastated and praying for Jimmy's labrum seems stupid given his general health and hurricanes/earthquakes destroying lives yet here I am. Awful news.

Jimmy Nelson is my favorite active player and I still don't want the DH.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I think, in the last 10-12 years, the most catastrophic injuries to Brewers' top-end pitching has come on the base-paths.

It's not them throwing their arm out, it's tweaking a knee running, or sliding, or even odd stuff like hang nails and blisters (*ahem* Ben Sheets).

I still prefer my pitchers to hit.

Members online