Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

September 11th, 2001 - I'm sure you can remember exactly what you were doing!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

westusmc

Jan 16, 2016
Tulsa, OK
I was a junior in college and saw it on TV at a cafe at school. I immediately called my reserve center. I was in the LCpl in the Marine Corps reserves. I ended up spending 2 of the next 4 years on active duty spread over 3 separate activations/deployments. It definitely changed the trajectory of my life. I met tons of people I wouldn't have met otherwise. It took me 7 years vs 4 to finish college. I'm probably in the same job field I would have been in otherwise. Who knows if I would have met my wife. We have a 1yo baby now. Who knows what would have happened. That attack set into motion a global chain of events that has effected millions of people and killed tens of thousands.

Calripkenjrcollector

Dec 12, 2009
National City, California
My ship was stationed at Naval Station Ingleside, Texas (about 45 miles or so from Corpus Christie). My ship is now stationed here in San Diego area (USS Defender MCM-2) is also the ONLY ship in US Naval history to ever sailed on ALL 5 lakes in (2000-2001). Five ships left Ingleside, Texas and we were the only ship to accomplish the mission. YAY! Those were the days......

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
I walked into my High School Freshman English class to see my teacher had the TV on in a corner of the room and sat down minutes before the 2nd plane hit. What a terrible day.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
My dad and I ran a website hosting and design company. He had taken a contract in Memphis and I was at home asleep. He called me about 8 in the morning, waking me up. I remember a moment of dread thinking a server was down, because that's just about the only reason I'd get a call at that time. I answered and the first thing he said was,"Two planes just flew into the World Trade Center." I immediately realized,"We're under attack." Spent the rest of the morning, like everyone else, glued to the TV. Eventually I tried to do some work while listening to NPR. I remember late in the morning the anchor said,"The south tower...has collapsed." Ran back to the TV, and I was stunned. That hadn't crossed my mind at all, and I don't think it had to most people, that they would fall. That somehow made it even more real, and, of course, more tragic. I grew up in Philadelphia and the Hudson Valley and had been to NYC many times. I remember walking by WTC and getting a sense of the scale that even in other parts of midtown Manhattan you don't feel. That sense came back to me really hard with the street scenes where people were running away from the clouds of dust and smoke.

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL
I was stationed in Camp Lejeune, NC (during my Marines Corps days) and right in the middle of a full blown inventory. Our Battalion Commander sent out an email to our Chains of Command to pause operations, find a radio or TV and see for ourselves what was going on. Right after, he asked that those who have family within NYC to immediately contact our families and check in their safety. Luckily my family was not in that area THAT DAY, they tend to go there from time to time for shopping or other randomness...

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Members online