Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Brendan McKay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
Hey, fellas. Last night I went to Game 3 of the NY-Penn League Division Series in Staten Island. They were playing the Hudson Valley Renegades and fortuitously enough, 2017 4th overall pick Brendan McKay towed the rubber. Through 5 innings, McKay thew 1 hit baseball and whiffed 6. I expected McKay to dominate this weak lineup, as he should being the best college player in the country, but there's currently an ongoing debate as to whether or not he'll remain a two-way player. Last night it all, but confirmed that he's a pitcher going forward. I don't doubt McKay's ability as a hitter, but for several reasons he's going to be a damn good one on the hill. Here's why:

Mechanics

There are only a handful of pitchers that I've personally seen in my 10 years of watching minor league ball that could repeat their deliveries without any flaws whatsoever. This category includes Madsion Bumgarner, Jake Arrieta and Jose Fernandez. McKay fits that bill. It didn't matter what he threw. His delivery was robotic and the game seemed natural to him.

McKay threw his fastball to all quadrants of the plate and his fastball had incredible life. He was averaging between 90-94 in previous reports, but last night, he hit 95 several times. He still needs a little bit of work on locating his breaking ball, but that will come with reps.

Advanced secondary stuff

They claim McKay throws a curve, but last night he flashed a slurve, as opposed to a traditional 12-6. He was getting more swing and misses on his changeup which is MLB ready right now.

These are just some brief notes, but McKay is no joke.

Last edited:

Members online