Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Matt Olson must be the leader in solo homers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
or he doesn't get many rbi situations. Hit #20 today...rbi #39 :confused:

must be solo homers for most of them. I can't find a homer chart if one exists, but I did sort game log by AB's per game and he hits his homers when he has 2-4 AB's per game so it doesn't appear to be a lot of 1AB late defense/pinch-hit homers where we can quantify the number of RBI per homer.

I wonder if he should be celebrating. He has 23 in Nashville this year and now 20 in MLB, but reaching 20 in MLB seems overrated considering it's the year of the longball.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I had an eureka moment - i was able to use splits to reverse-engineer the data.

9 solo HR
9 2R homers
1 3R homer
no GS
------------
19 HR at the time of the mlb.com stats (not updated with tonight's game yet) and 30 of his 38 RBI at the time were via HR.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
2015 Nelson Cruz- 44hr 93rbi
2009 Adrian Gonzalez 40hr 99rbi

those are the worst 40hr+ rbi totals I can recall seeing in recent years. no respect I tells ya! :lol:

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Kris Bryant has 19 solo shots of his 27 homers so far this year I believe.

yep, right on the money with 19 solo HR. In 2016, 22 solo HR of his 39 total.

and for another post, I wouldn't say USA BB is turning out players MLB ready because that means to me as being drafted straight to the majors and that rarely happens. USA BB does turn out players that have a good shot at being a MLBer, IMHO, as a lot of recent stars and stripes autos I've pulled, and some USA BB alum players I've seen at Triple-A, are people who are in the minors working their way towards a MLB shot.

psj

Jul 24, 2015
Long Island
That's why i loved Paul O'Neill. Guy hits 19hrs, but has 110rbi. I rather a player like him over say a Nelson Cruz type with his 44hrs and 93rbi. Not that Nelson Cruz is a bum, I'm not trying to say that at all

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
That's why i loved Paul O'Neill. Guy hits 19hrs, but has 110rbi. I rather a player like him over say a Nelson Cruz type with his 44hrs and 93rbi. Not that Nelson Cruz is a bum, I'm not trying to say that at all

O'Neil's RBI's like have much more to do with having guys like Jeter in front of him than O'Neil doing anything special. The research is pretty compelling that RBI has much less to do with personal ability and much more to do with the people around you and opportunity.

That said, I love Paul O'Neil (and those Yankee teams in general)

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
O'Neil's RBI's like have much more to do with having guys like Jeter in front of him than O'Neil doing anything special. The research is pretty compelling that RBI has much less to do with personal ability and much more to do with the people around you and opportunity.

That said, I love Paul O'Neil (and those Yankee teams in general)

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

I consider RBI's to be more of a team stat and never use it when assessing a player's performance. As you said, middle of the order hitters on teams with high powered offenses will naturally have higher RBI totals because there will be many more chances to derive them. Put that same player in the middle of a team that struggles with offense the following year and that RBI total will likely drop. That doesn't necessarily mean he's performed any worse than the previous year.

psj

Jul 24, 2015
Long Island
But that's kinda not what I was getting at. With O'Neill and his 110rbi, with only 19hr, that means he did everything else needed to get those runs in, not just hit home runs. So say with Cruz, he hit 43 solo shots, that's 43 of his 93rbi just from homers. I doubt they were all solo though. I was just saying O'Neill didnt get almost half of his rbi's from home runs

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Here are the percentage records for most solo homers since 1954 according to Fangraphs:

15+ homers:
Ken Singleton went 15-15, all solo homers in 1975.

20+ homers:
Curtis Granderson, 21 of 23 homers were solo in 2007.

25+ homers:
Toby Harrah, 22 of 25 were solo in 1982.
Bobby Bonds, 22 of 26 in 1970.

40+ homers:
Richard Hidalgo, 35 of 44 were solo in 2000.
Barry Bonds, 35 of 45 were solo in 2003.

Members online

Latest posts