Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Pat Neshek calls Zack Greinke an "a-hole, turd and socially awkward" for not signing his cards.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Pat Neshek calls Zack Greinke an "a-hole, turd and socially awkward" for not signing his cards.

ESPN -- Colorado Rockies reliever Pat Neshek ripped Zack Greinke on a message board on Tuesday, writing that the Arizona Diamondbacks ace backed out on a promise to sign baseball cards for him.

Posting under the username "heat17" on SportsCollectors.net, Neshek wrote that Greinke agreed to sign autographs for him at the All-Star Game. Neshek, then with the Philadelphia Phillies, and Greinke were teammates on the National League squad.

Neshek, a noted autograph hound, wrote: "I asked him at the all star game if he would sign for me and he said he would... so a couple weeks ago we played them and I sent over the cards I needed signed... basically 3 league leaders cards with Kershaw and Wainwright already done and 2 from 2015 to complete the set. He said no... I waited around for him during batting practice and went up to him and he totally denied having the conversation at the all star game... I then asked why this was a problem and he said it's because "I wear him out." Hard to wear someone out when he has never signed for me. This is the only a-hole in major league baseball that has been a turd to me.

"So going back to the conversation I said can you just get these done it will take 5 seconds... just draw a little z on them for me... He said no I will never sign for you... I walked away... a couple minutes later I confronted him in the outfield while he was jogging and told him what I thought of him... he just kept on running then said I wouldn't even sign for your kid if he asked.... I wanted to laugh knowing he had probably thought of that line for a long time and that was the best he could come up with... I then let him know what I thought of him again and being the socially awkward guy he is ran back to the dugout and went inside. Soooo I'm done with this guy. I'm basically gonna have to trade with someone on here to 50/50 them down the road."

While Neshek called Greinke "socially awkward," the Diamondbacks right-hander was diagnosed with social anxiety disorder in 2006 and has talked about his battles with it in the past.

Before he headed to the All-Star Game in July, Neshek had said that his goal was to get Greinke to sign for him, noting that his autograph was a tough one to get. He even indicated he would have his 3½-year-old son run over to get the autograph.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I commented about this in the morning thread earlier but I'd also like to add Neshek might be my new favorite player ever for publicly calling someone "a turd" that's just fantastic

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Neshek has a distinct advantage that most autograph collectors will never have. That being said, I guess it is a relief to hear that even a MLB player will find it hard to land certain signatures. Welcome to autograph collecting and specifically collecting a specific card, set or theme. I have a decent sized list of cards I can pretty much write off due to odd signing habits of players over the years.

Given only what you see in the article, it does seem that Greinke is a bit of a jerk. We only get the one side and I can't say I know what dealing with a social anxiety is like, but I still have a personal issue with players who are unwilling to sign for fans. It's been discussed ad nauseam, but when you are being paid an excessive amount of money to basically play a game that is supported financially by the fans along with all the other revenue streams it generates, it isn't much to ask of a player in my opinion. Before "that guy" comes in and argues the counterpoint, I'd sign the **** out of my autograph for fans if I was making a high 6 or seven figure salary to play a game that is a childhood dream of most kids.

Neshek has it figured out. I wish more did as well.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I heard Hunter Pence's wife on the Giants pre game a few weeks ago. She's so freaking annoying to begin with but they asked about Hunter signing autographs. She said well he doesn't always sign, some people want an autograph and some people are just trying tob sell them. I wanted to call the show and ask her how must she thinks a Hunter Pence in person autograph might possibly sell for? I understand athletes don't owe us anything but jeez, u can make a fan for life with a few minutes to sign and take a few pics

Bring me your Bickford, Ryan McMahon, Senzatela and Peter Lambert cards

OhioCollectibles

Aug 28, 2008
I heard Hunter Pence's wife on the Giants pre game a few weeks ago. She's so freaking annoying to begin with but they asked about Hunter signing autographs. She said well he doesn't always sign, some people want an autograph and some people are just trying tob sell them. I wanted to call the show and ask her how must she thinks a Hunter Pence in person autograph might possibly sell for? I understand athletes don't owe us anything but jeez, u can make a fan for life with a few minutes to sign and take a few pics

Bring me your Bickford, Ryan McMahon, Senzatela and Peter Lambert cards
I thought he was dating Stephanie Tanner.

I collect Chet Lemon

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Baseball players are all kinds of people. It seems common courtesy that players will sign for other players even if they ignore fans, but there are definitely people who just won't for anyone. But you can have social anxiety disorder or some other malady and still be an a-hole. The effort it took to argue with Neshek certainly dwarfed the effort it would take to sign, but so what, just leave him alone and your card unsigned.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
An adult getting mad that he can not have an autograph of another adult, really breaks my heart. Couldn't Pat just buy an auto? And yes, Pat is an autograph hound that hounds people that do not give him what he wants. Talk about an entitled *******.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
An adult getting mad that he can not have an autograph of another adult, really breaks my heart. Couldn't Pat just buy an auto? And yes, Pat is an autograph hound that hounds people that do not give him what he wants. Talk about an entitled *******.
I was getting ready to post something similar to this. You said it much better than I would have.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
Autograph hound or passionate collector?
Ive personally dealt with Pat and he is extremely professional. He has passion and when he wanted something that ended up not being obtainable to him, yes, he let the better of his emotions get to him. There are plenty of collectors on this board that are completest and when that last card they need to say complete a rainbow the owner holds out for more or wont let go of throw a fit as well. But as others have said, if Zack said yeah Ill hook you up down the line and then blew Pat off like it never happened, Zack no better the person then anyone trying to make Pat out to be a bad guy is.

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida

It wasn't about the autograph, he said had an agreement with Greinke to get his autograph and Grienke backed out. That's the scumbag move

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
It wasn't about the autograph, he said had an agreement with Greinke to get his autograph and Grienke backed out. That's the scumbag move

Pat did not get what he wanted after hounding the guy and then went to a message board to call the guy an *******, socially awkward, and that he acts like a turd. Who's the scumbag?

seitas

Aug 7, 2008
I have a friend that played on the 2011 Milwaukee Brewers team. Me and some buddies went to a game in Colorado to visit said friend. We had dinner at a very nice restaurant in downtown Denver and several guys from the team were there. No Greinke, but there were some stories told about him and the common thread was that he was the strangest dude on the team. One of his regular bits was that he would tell everybody that he was staying in his room and wasn't interested in going out. Then they'd see him out all by himself often wearing things to try to disguise himself.
My favorite Grienke story comes from his first spring training with the Dodgers. Mattingly was giving a speech on the last day of spring training and when he was done asked if anyone had anything to say. Grienke, who is famously not fond of speaking in front of groups, raised his hand. he then went in front of the team and said, "I've noticed that a lot of you guys don't wash your hands after you use the restroom." The room wanted to laugh but then they realized he was serious and it became uncomfortable as Greinke explained the virtue of cleanliness.

Yankees48

Jul 2, 2014
Greinke could've just done it, but neshek seems like the bigger ****** to me. If someone doesn't want to sign for you just accept it and leave them alone. Just because you are a player doesn't mean that you're entitled to have people sign for you whenever you want.

Last edited:

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
someone who says they are gonna do something, then not do it

Okay man, I guess everyone on this planet is a scumbag then. What this exposed to me, is that Pat is just another collector that acts like a petulant child when he does not get his way or if something important to him is not to someone else.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side

I was getting ready to post something similar to this. You said it much better than I would have.

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. There is something messed up about going to the media (it was a message board but he damn well knew that when an athlete speaks out against another athlete on a public forum it would get out there) and calling him a socially awkward turd while fully aware of his disorder because he won't sign his baseball cards. It's just very childish. After reading this tabloid story I can understand why Neshek "wears him out". After telling him he wouldn't sign, Neshek confronts him two or three more times.

I can understand why Neshek is pissed (after all Greinke *allegedly* said he would sign his cards) but handled the situation poorly. If he had gone on the message board and said something like, "man, this sucks. Greinke backed out on the deal we made at the All-Star break and didn't sign my cards. That pisses me off." and left out all the social awkward turd talk I'd have no issue with any of it.

You also have to realize this is only Neshek's side to the story, we have no idea how much truth there is to it. People always tend to leave out little tidbits that they know make themselves appear bad. I mean, just listening to his side of the story he sounds like a pest.

Members online

Latest posts