Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I hate being outbid by hundreds of dollars on a card I really wanted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Yeah, I cannot compete with certain bidders. As a Yankee collector, I have come to grips that I will never own certain cards.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
If I have to be outbid, I'd much prefer be outbid by hundreds of dollars...means I wasn't close to owning it. I can accept that. I HATE being underbidder...and when I lose, I'm underbidder the majority of the time.

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
If I have to be outbid, I'd much prefer be outbid by hundreds of dollars...means I wasn't close to owning it. I can accept that. I HATE being underbidder...and when I lose, I'm underbidder the majority of the time.

I agree with this. There have been quite a few auctions in the last couple of weeks that I have lost by just pennies.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
Worse than anything, is forgetting to bid and watch the auction end for much, much, much, much less than you would've bid.

psj

Jul 24, 2015
Long Island
Worse than anything, is forgetting to bid and watch the auction end for much, much, much, much less than you would've bid.

Yes goob! I do this way 2 many times lol. Also, I agree, id rather be outbid by alot, than outbid by $1. And as [MENTION=1722]nevermore[/MENTION] mentioned, being a Yankees collector, I'm used to being outbid on certain Yankees cards

Last edited:

David K.

Aug 26, 2008
Fresno, CA
That happened to me.....2008 ud heroes ken Griffey jr. auto/gu numbered 1/5 emerald auto.......sold for about $138.00.....I had a max bid of $205.00 that I forgot to bid on it on the last day........luckly another one showed up 6 months later and I landed it for $125.00!! Best regards, David

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I guess that wasn't all, but this is the card in question.
gwynn-museum.jpg
This card had been listed last week at a $600 BIN/BO, quickly changed to $900, then restarted as an auction. Sold for $610. I thought I had a strong bid at $426, but got crushed. I actually enrolled in Gixen to snipe it, having fallen asleep at the switch too many times by now to ask for more of that heartburn.

To make matters worse, I looked at sold auctions and see that not one but TWO Koufaxes had sold this summer, the last just a couple days ago. I've added two more Museums in the last week, so I'm happy to keep making progress and can't complain too much. But between the Gwynn, Koufax, and a Buster Posey (that had been listed together with a Bench for $18,000 BIN/BO, to which I just shook my head), I feel like I'll never complete it. I've never seen a Gwynn before, and hadn't seen a Koufax since 2013.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Oh yeah. That is the worst, no question. That happened one too many times with me, so I changed my bidding habits and email preferences to make sure that never happens again.

trogdor

Feb 18, 2013
The Gwynn is headed to my collection. Sorry! I had never seen it before and figured I had to bid high and it went a way higher than I would have hoped.

Upset about the Koufax too! Seem to never be able to get to it quickly enough.

If I see another Gwynn you'll be the first guy I tell. Good luck!

cbrandtw

Sep 12, 2008
Daphne, AL
All of these are so frustrating. I've had all of them happen to me countless times in my years of collecting. I always prefer being outbid by a lot instead of being the under bidder. Although it seems like you lost the auction by a dollar or 5 or 10 you simply never know what the high bidder's max was. I always seem to think, "If I only bid one more time I would have won". The worst is when you bid at the very last second and lose by not even an entire bid increment. Now that is an awful feeling.

Enough of the negativity. How wonderful does it feel when you bid $500.00 and win the auction at $250?

David K.

Aug 26, 2008
Fresno, CA
I guess that wasn't all, but this is the card in question.
View attachment 73518
This card had been listed last week at a $600 BIN/BO, quickly changed to $900, then restarted as an auction. Sold for $610. I thought I had a strong bid at $426, but got crushed. I actually enrolled in Gixen to snipe it, having fallen asleep at the switch too many times by now to ask for more of that heartburn.

To make matters worse, I looked at sold auctions and see that not one but TWO Koufaxes had sold this summer, the last just a couple days ago. I've added two more Museums in the last week, so I'm happy to keep making progress and can't complain too much. But between the Gwynn, Koufax, and a Buster Posey (that had been listed together with a Bench for $18,000 BIN/BO, to which I just shook my head), I feel like I'll never complete it. I've never seen a Gwynn before, and hadn't seen a Koufax since 2013.
A very nice looking card numbered to #10! Best regards, David

Members online