Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Have any modern cards been counterfeited since the '80s?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The 1980s and earlier were filled with counterfeits of every valuable card, from the T206 Honus Wagner to the '63 Topps Pete Rose rookie to the '84 Fleer Update Gooden, Puckett and Clemens.

Then the '90s came and foil and chrome and gloss and holograms mostly put an end to the fakes.

But with printing technology so advanced today, (look at what Mouschi is making) have there been any reports of modern cards being counterfeited?

I'm not talking forged autographs or fake patches. I mean the actual card, like rare low-numbered cards and rookies.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I just posted about the 1989 UD blank backs on that thread. I wondered if these are legit? Anyone know the story with them? They're not particularly valuable, but given the hype when they were released I could see people printing these as "promos" for rabid collectors...

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
I bet it happens a lot more than people think it would. One off the top of my head is the 2000 SP Authentic Chirography Sandy Koufax. It's definitely being faked in large numbers with a fake signature. And I've held one in hand. Card itself was off, not just the signature, so it's not just backdoored cards being put out into the marketplace. It's full counterfeit. Certain cards would be very difficult to fake though.

Last edited:

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
It's far easier to stick a fake patch in a legit GU card than go through the trouble of creating a fake card from scratch. My guess would be that almost all modern cards worth faking would have technology above the capabilities of your average patch faking scumbag.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
As Nolan said, that Koufax is one, we have on at the warehouse. Also the USA Bryce Harper Auto has been faked. 1991 Desert Shields, 1990 Aqueous I believe, though I haven't held a fake. Though the last 2 are more fake stamping than the entire card being forged.

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector

JEBJJA

Aug 11, 2008
South Jersey- Near Philly
I know it's football but The Proline autographs from 1991 football. The auto's are on the back of the card and even the permanent stamp on the back has been faked. Also the 2009 rookie premier autographs in Topps football. That's why the last few years before Topps lost their license they numbered them /90.

Jul 22, 2016
f6e6fff6644fd0a8ae9f8d2286b18323.jpg

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Members online