Thread: Your 2017 AL MVP?

Senior Member death2redemptions's Avatar
     ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still undecided. I believe Altuve & Judge are equally deserving

Each player contributes in their own way, as the two All-Stars play a different game. Judge plays the power game as a middle of the order run producer, leading the league in power numbers (HR, ISO, slg%) while Altuve is a speedy middle infielder with the rare speed/contact/power combo, leading the league in hits, AVG & runner-up in stolen bases. Of course, Altuve's power numbers aren't close to those of Aaron Judge but he's a two time 20/20 player nonetheless.

According to advanced metrics, Judge is a slightly better defensive outfielder than Altuve is a second baseman but since Altuve plays a more premium position than Judge, his defensive metrics are just barely better than Judge's (Altuve 0.7 dWAR/Judge 0.4 dWAR). We are all aware of Judge's strikeout numbers but both players are on-base machines with a similar OBP & Judge has the superior OPS, however Judge plays at the hitter friendly Yankee stadium which is a big contributing reason why. When adjusted to ballpark factors the two players have a nearly identical OPS+ (Altuve 167 OBP+/Judge 168 OPS+). On the flip side, if we want to get deeper into sabermetrics, Judge has a superior wRC+ (170) than Altuve (161). The metric wRC+ is a more polished version of OPS+ that is based on wOBA rather than OPS and similarly adjusts to ballpark factors.

As far as their individual value to the team goes, I believe both ball clubs would still make the postseason without them. At worst, the Yankess lose homefield advantage. The Astros take the division either way which is why I believe Judge has been slightly more important to his team than Altuve.

I'll wait until the final game of the season before voting but even when all stats are final I think my vote will still go to the player I have in mind.
    Look, I'm gonna be honest with you. I really need a job. And I will take any position, as long as it doesn't involve having sex with old ladies for money or bear traps. Those are my two bugaboos. While mulling over my resume feel free to check out my baseball card collection, it's small and simple, kinda like me - >>>>> http://s822.photobucket.com/user/JDf...ds%20n%20stuff

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tramers View Post
    hard to beat a Yankee #%$^&*
    Stop the whining. There have been only 3 Yankees awarded MVP in the past 40 years.
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

tramersfoulball
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well I did get his auto when in minors .

ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All stats in OP have been updated to this very minute.

Aaron Judge now has 52 HR and apparently the one hit today set a new Yankees franchise record for number of home runs hit during home games in a single season, previously held by Babe Ruth in 1921.

Mike Trout has added a couple more home runs and upped his OPS since I first created this thread

Altuve's numbers haven't changed much and Jose Ramirez has dropped off a bit (not like he had much of a chance to win this thing)
    Look, I'm gonna be honest with you. I really need a job. And I will take any position, as long as it doesn't involve having sex with old ladies for money or bear traps. Those are my two bugaboos. While mulling over my resume feel free to check out my baseball card collection, it's small and simple, kinda like me - >>>>> http://s822.photobucket.com/user/JDf...ds%20n%20stuff

beanzy46
     andyscags
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moxacaine View Post
    Judge will win but I think Altuve should.
    +1

Sent from my SM-G920P using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    -Andy

Always looking to add to my vintage pc's and set needs, let me know what you've got!

justcallmepete
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Edwin Encarnacion again is in the background despite a great Sept and season. Actually most of the team fly under the radar but they're my pick to go all the way.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy ****, your gold ref. auto? I never would have had the balls to hold that card.

To answer the MVP question:
    Judge should and will win the AL MVP

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aaron Judge had more multi-homer games (4) in September than the rest of his season combined.

I'd like to point out his September numbers:

90 AB
    29 R
    28 H
    80 TB
    7 2B
    0 3B
    15 HR
    32 RBI
    28 BB
    1 IBB
    32 SO
    2 SB
    0 CS
    .311 AVG
    .463 OBP
    .889 SLG
    3 SF

If he had this pace for the year, he'd have totals of: .311 BA with 90 HR and 192 RBI. Obviously off the chart production!

For whatever reason, he tired in July and August, but he's found himself again and is perhaps the greatest threat at the plate of all 10 teams heading into the playoffs. That alone shows he's the ultimate MVP, esp when considering what his season totals are as well. He could obviously carry New York if he stays hot, but I highly doubt he gets much of anything to hit vs Minnesota. We'll see how he's pitched if NY makes it to the ALDS.

@WCTYSON -- I hit that one, but it's gone now
    WTTF/WTB: Looking for Red Sox cards I don't have of players from modern Bowman products. Always open to trade!

ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WCTYSON View Post
    To answer the MVP question:
    Judge should and will win the AL MVP
    This is the conclusion I have come to:
    1. Judge & Altuve have been equally productive, just in different ways. Altuve with contact & speed, Judge with the long ball & producing runs. Altuve leads the majors in bWAR (8.4), Judge leads the majors with fWAR (8.2).
    2. Ultimately I feel Judge has been slightly more valuable to his team than Altuve. The Astros were going to win the division with or without Altuve and while the Yankees would still have likely grabbed a Wild Card spot without Judge, I feel he gave them the push for home field advantage.
    3. As icing on the cake, Judge broke some long standing records along the way (rookie HR record, franchise record for home game HR's by a Yankees player...probably some monthly records too) and did it all as a rookie

ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *Final 2017 season stats:

Mike Trout - (114 GP, 402 AB) .306 avg/.442 OBP/.629 slg% 33 HR, 72 RBI, 1.071 OPS, 22 SB (6.7 bWAR/6.7 fWAR) 181 wRC+ .437 wOBA
    Jose Altuve - (153 GP, 590 AB) .346 avg/.410 OBP/.547 slg% 24 HR, 81 RBI, .957 OPS, 32 SB (8.4 bWAR/7.5 fWAR) 159 wRC+ .405 wOBA
    Aaron Judge - (155 GP, 542 AB) .284 avg/.422 OBP/.627 slg% 52 HR, 114 RBI, 1.049 OPS, 9 SB (8.0 bWAR/8.1 fWAR) 172 wRC+ .430 wOBA
    Jose Ramirez - (152 GP, 585 AB) .318 avg/.374 OBP/.583 slg% 29 HR, 83 RBI, .957 OPS, 17 SB (6.6 bWAR/6.3 fWAR) 148 wRC+ .396 wOBA

*bWAR & fWAR have not been calculated for today's games.

Mr. Enfuego
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Judge will take it hands down for a few reasons:

- the kid is a rookie
    - came a long way from his first debut
    - has been “pretty” consistent throughout the season with the exception of his minor slump
    - not a factor, but he won the HR Derby
    - broke and set various Rookie and Yankee records

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board
    "Are you crying? Are you crying? There's no crying in Baseball!!" - Tom Hanks.

dsj51
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Judge all the way.

ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a close one folks (between Judge & Altuve)

ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was off with this one & the voting wasn't as close as I had expected either. Altuve received 27 of the 30 first place votes. I predicted Judge would just barely edge Altuve in voting but honestly I didn't believe you could go wrong with either of them

My end of season prediction
    1. Judge
    2. Altuve
    3. Trout
    4. Ramirez

The actual voting results
    1. Altuve
    2. Judge
    3. Ramirez
    4. Trout

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Best candidate won.. Congrats to Jose Altuve for winning 2017 American League MVP with 27 of 30 first place votes. Why Jose Ramirez got a first place vote from a Kansas City writer is odd. I thought homer Royals fans stuffed ALL Star ballot boxes only
    Carl Tompkins
    togatx@aol.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast