Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Your 2017 AL MVP?

Who wins the AL MVP?

• Mike Trout

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Jose Altuve

Votes: 19 48.7%
  • Aaron Judge

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • Jose Ramirez

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Other (Explain)

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
With the season coming to a close I'm interested in sparking another intelligent baseball debate. Or you could just pick an option from the poll I created.

Who do you believe is most deserving of winning the 2017 AL MVP? I was trying to think of 5 players to include in the poll but only four came to mind who I truly thought had a chance at 1st place votes so I included an "other" option for those who feel differently. Feel free to list the player's name & explain your reasoning if you wish.

Mike Trout - (114 GP, 402 AB) .306 avg/.442 OBP/.629 slg% 33 HR, 72 RBI, 1.071 OPS, 22 SB (6.7 bWAR/6.7 fWAR)
Additional Notes: Leads league in OBP, slg% & OPS. Missed roughly 45 games but still qualifies. 6th straight 6+ WAR season

Jose Altuve - (153 GP, 590 AB) .346 avg/.410 OBP/.547 slg% 24 HR, 81 RBI, .957 OPS, 32 SB (8.4 bWAR/7.5 fWAR)
Additional Notes: 4th straight 200-hit season. Leads league in bWAR, avg & hits. Runner-up in stolen bases & fWAR

Aaron Judge - (155 GP, 542 AB) .284 avg/.422 OBP/.627 slg% 52 HR, 114 RBI, 1.049 OPS, 9 SB (8.0 bWAR/8.1 fWAR)
Additional Notes: Single season rookie HR leader. Leads league in HR, runs, walks & fWAR. Runner up in bWAR, slg%, RBI & OPS

Jose Ramirez - (152 GP, 585 AB) .318 avg/.374 OBP/.583 slg% 29 HR, 83 RBI, .957 OPS, 17 SB (6.6 bWAR/6.3 fWAR)
Additional Notes: Leads league in XBH & doubles. Top 5 in avg, runs, slg%, bWAR, fWAR & OPS

Other - Lindor, Betts, Simmons, Abreu, Dozier, Kluber, Sale, Upton, Sanchez, etc. (anyone other than the aforementioned 4 players)
Explain:

Last edited:

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I believe Judge will win...chicks dig the long ball. I think Altuve gets snubbed on this one. He was steady start to finish and particularly in the absence of Correa he kept them afloat through all the injuries the Astros had, Judge will win on a blistering first half for the ages and a strong final month, the slump of July and August will be forgotten.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
because 200+ K's (yeah his other stats are nice) is a sign of an mvp. give me Altuve.

I compared judge to Mcgwires 87 season. he only leads mark in walks and strikeouts. did McGwire win the mvp? he came in sixth. different times yeah, but altuve with correa gone some time and Houston pitchers spending time on DL, he has my vote

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
because 200+ K's (yeah his other stats are nice) is a sign of an mvp. give me Altuve.

I compared judge to Mcgwires 87 season. he only leads mark in walks and strikeouts. did McGwire win the mvp? he came in sixth. different times yeah, but altuve with correa gone some time and Houston pitchers spending time on DL, he has my vote
With games left to play, Judge also has: 28 more runs, 8 more stolen bases, 51 more walks, .049 better OBP, almost same BA/SLG. Judge has a better rookie season.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Ugh, this argument again. Trout led the AL in strikeouts in 2014 and won the MVP.
Ks don't matter anymore, especially when Judge also led the league in walks and has a higher on-base percentage than Altuve.

crypticfreak1

May 16, 2016
I’m a Red Sox fan...... but Judge will win. What he has going for him that doesn’t show in the stats or any mvp voting category, is:
1- that he is a Yankee
2- he isn’t overly ****y
3- he is actually a really nice guy
4- his back story of being adopted adds to his fan base
5- Altuve, I love, and saw him play for my local minor league team- The TriCity ValleyCats, but has been very consistent each season and hasn’t won an MVP award yet even though each seasons stats are similar
6- Trout missed too many games and the Angels suck this year

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
I'm still undecided. I believe Altuve & Judge are equally deserving

Each player contributes in their own way, as the two All-Stars play a different game. Judge plays the power game as a middle of the order run producer, leading the league in power numbers (HR, ISO, slg%) while Altuve is a speedy middle infielder with the rare speed/contact/power combo, leading the league in hits, AVG & runner-up in stolen bases. Of course, Altuve's power numbers aren't close to those of Aaron Judge but he's a two time 20/20 player nonetheless.

According to advanced metrics, Judge is a slightly better defensive outfielder than Altuve is a second baseman but since Altuve plays a more premium position than Judge, his defensive metrics are just barely better than Judge's (Altuve 0.7 dWAR/Judge 0.4 dWAR). We are all aware of Judge's strikeout numbers but both players are on-base machines with a similar OBP & Judge has the superior OPS, however Judge plays at the hitter friendly Yankee stadium which is a big contributing reason why. When adjusted to ballpark factors the two players have a nearly identical OPS+ (Altuve 167 OBP+/Judge 168 OPS+). On the flip side, if we want to get deeper into sabermetrics, Judge has a superior wRC+ (170) than Altuve (161). The metric wRC+ is a more polished version of OPS+ that is based on wOBA rather than OPS and similarly adjusts to ballpark factors.

As far as their individual value to the team goes, I believe both ball clubs would still make the postseason without them. At worst, the Yankess lose homefield advantage. The Astros take the division either way which is why I believe Judge has been slightly more important to his team than Altuve.

I'll wait until the final game of the season before voting but even when all stats are final I think my vote will still go to the player I have in mind.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
All stats in OP have been updated to this very minute.

Aaron Judge now has 52 HR and apparently the one hit today set a new Yankees franchise record for number of home runs hit during home games in a single season, previously held by Babe Ruth in 1921.

Mike Trout has added a couple more home runs and upped his OPS since I first created this thread

Altuve's numbers haven't changed much and Jose Ramirez has dropped off a bit (not like he had much of a chance to win this thing)

Members online