The best players in history?
    Super Moderator
     Topnotchsy
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny thing about the great increase in homeruns this season

The increase in number of home runs hit this season is well documented, but one thing that has been pretty interesting is that unlike back in the late 90's and early 2000's, the homeruns are spread much more widely. So while there are more players than ever before hitting 10 and 20 homeruns, we do not see nearly as much at the top. Sure Stanton is pushing 60, but he's currently 20 homeruns ahead of the Cody Bellinger, who is second in the NL with 39 homeruns.

We still have a few more games left, so the list may change for this year, but here's the number of players in the Majors with 40 or more homers by season:

2000 - 16
    2001 - 12
    2002 - 8
    2003 - 10
    2004 - 9
    2005 - 9
    2006 - 11
    2007 - 5
    2008 - 2
    2009 - 5
    2010 - 2
    2011 - 2
    2012 - 6
    2013 - 2
    2014 - 1
    2015 - 9
    2016 - 8
    2017 - 4
    Last edited by Topnotchsy; 10-08-2017 at 02:02 AM.

griffey-collector
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    crazy decline there in the middle.
    then all of a sudden it's mid-high single digits again.
    **looking for Sweet spot, game ball and sweet sigs autos off my needs list.**

bmaaaaaaac
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well wouldn't you say that that the previous homerun surge was due to individuals using banned & unbanned substances that gave a handful of players amazing strength & HR range. While this year appears to be more that the balls are being made differently, and deep triples are now carrying those few extra yards, meaning just a percentage increase across the board.
    Randy Johnson Collector!! 5,180 Unique Cards & Counting.
    https://sportscardalbum.com/u/bigunitcards

Featured Contributor
    The best players in history?
    Super Moderator
     Topnotchsy
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigunitcards View Post
    Well wouldn't you say that that the previous homerun surge was due to individuals using banned & unbanned substances that gave a handful of players amazing strength & HR range. While this year appears to be more that the balls are being made differently, and deep triples are now carrying those few extra yards, meaning just a percentage increase across the board.
    For sure, I would have thought that many of the 30-35 homer guys would have become 40 homer guys. Last year there were 38 players with 30 or more homers. This season there are 41. Last year there were 111 players with 20 or more. This year 118.

Looking at total number maybe the key point is that homeruns were up a ton last year, from under 5000 to 5600. This year that has continued to over 6000....

Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I agreed it is surprising that there hasn't been a jump from levels, meaning 20 hrs getting to 30, 30 to 40 jumps etc. It seems that there are just a lot more people hitting 10-20 type ranges to get the overall bumps in total.

Ryan
    Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector
    ALWAYS LOOKING FOR ODDBALL, REGIONAL, TEAM ISSUED, VARIATIONS, AND TOUGH CARDS OF WILL CLARK AND MIKE BROWN

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be interested in seeing how many 1st and 2nd year players, hr totals per year.

Senior Member death2redemptions's Avatar
     ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This trend actually gives more credence to the juiced ball theory although, personally, I'm not sold on the idea because people cry juiced ball every there is a large spike in home runs across the league (late 80's, early 00's come to mind). It was the 2nd half of 2015 when critics shouted juiced ball but if that were true there would have been an immediate spike that would have leveled out but instead it has been slowly increasing since 2014. Sure, there is evidence the ball being used in 2017 has slightly different dimensions (or whatever you want to call it) than the balls being used five years ago (but the same as last years ball) but there is nothing conclusive enough to say that the HR spike is all due to the ball being used.

This is the first time in 10 years we've had two players hit 50+ HR

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigunitcards View Post
    Exactly.
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could some players have figured out how to beat the tests?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So let's just say Stanton has 60.

I believe that would make him the sixth player to do so.

Two of them legit and three tainted.

Which group does stanton belong to?

I think legit as was always a monster but ya never know.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BBCgalaxee View Post
    So let's just say Stanton has 60.

I believe that would make him the sixth player to do so.

Two of them legit and three tainted.

Which group does stanton belong to?

I think legit as was always a monster but ya never know.[
    I think he's clean and has always been a potential 50-homer guy but he got hurt every year.
    This year he's healthy and had a crazy hot month-plus long streak this season that gave him a chance at 60 homers.

Of course, I thought ARod was clean too. And then you see little guys like Dee Gordon being busted for PEDs, so you never know anymore.
    Last edited by Austin; 10-01-2017 at 05:41 PM.
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

Senior Member death2redemptions's Avatar
     ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't be surprised to find out anyone (insert name here) was using PED's these days so I just assume clean until proven dirty.

As for Stanton, it's not as if there was a sudden surge in power this year. He was always going to become a 50-HR guy, it was just a matter of whether or not he could stay healthy for an entire season. Back in 2015 (at age 25) he had roughly the same HR per at-bat rate but was limited to only 74 games (due to injury). Last year was just an unusual down year for him.

tigger0007
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    59 by Stanton and 50 by Aaron Judge............Monster home runs. Best regards, David
    Losted in Space, on Gilligian's island without a boat, can't get back into Narnia, struck in a time machine!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jjoey52 View Post
    Could some players have figured out how to beat the tests?
    Absolutely! I think the dopers are able to keep ahead of the sports testing labs. That's why I was saying in another thread it would be interesting to keep a Judge A and B sample (and maybe Stanton and others who had a lot of HR's this year) and test them in 10 years to see if they are clean or had substances that the sports testing labs eventually found a test for.

BTW, does anyone know if the NL broke their all-time single season homer record. I know the AL (and MLB as a total) was past their all-time single season homer record when Judge hit his 50th but the NL was a few homers short at the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast