Please don't adblock plus me bro

User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Therion's All Time Astros Autograph Collection (37 To Go!)

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Assuming some of these are budgetary constraints? I see a 77T Taveras for $30 obo on eBay and another for $40 obo. Several 64-65 Grote cards signed for $5-20+ as well. Didn't search any others, but both were Dodgers as well.

AstrosAtoZ
     AstrosAtoZ
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just havenít picked them up yet.

Some of it is also finding the right auto. Taverasí 77T is a four player RC. He has another Astros card that looks much better but doesnít come up terribly often.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

AstrosAtoZ
     AstrosAtoZ
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today swings us back to the other end of the alphabet and I've knocked off my last A need, Norichika Aoki. Not the ideal card, but I'll update one day. Got it in a group of 10 autos for $8, so can't complain too much.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it one of those SSPC cards? I only have Dodger minor league issues or a 1990 Target card that I am aware of. Those are technically Dodgers, but they are a last resort over just about anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Therion View Post
    I just haven’t picked them up yet.

Some of it is also finding the right auto. Taveras’ 77T is a four player RC. He has another Astros card that looks much better but doesn’t come up terribly often.

AstrosAtoZ
     AstrosAtoZ
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
    Is it one of those SSPC cards? I only have Dodger minor league issues or a 1990 Target card that I am aware of. Those are technically Dodgers, but they are a last resort over just about anything else.
    Yep! Taveras is also a possibility for a private signing on SCN, so waiting to see if that works out.

My big issue are guys like Brian Powell. Ever since his suicide, people have gone crazy because he didn't sign much. $150 for a baseball is not happening.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the biggest issues of what it is really worth. To a passionate set or theme collector, a rare or scarce autograph on a specific card or team item may be worth a ridiculous amount. To the greater majority of the rest of the world, it's worth next to nothing. However, if a seller sees one example of a crazy price, they think their item should be worth that and they never budge.

Powell is a prime example and his signature should pretty much be worthless. His career was not noteworthy in any way that I saw, so he is probably only sought by team or set collectors.

Although he never actually played for the Dodgers, he has a single Dodger card. Leigh Neuage died at 19 and his autographs are understandably scarce, but to anyone other than a Bowman or Dodger completist, is there really any reason for it to be worth anything more than any other player that never played MLB ball in the end?

I am working on getting a signature of a different player who also died young, although after his career had already ended. He never played at the MLB level but had 1 card and I have never seen one signed. The signature that I may be able to obtain is NOT on the card, but from a cancelled check. I would like it for the novelty and might possibly try to make it into a custom if I get one, but I also would not be willing to pay a lot for it. Aside from passing away young and thus keeping supply down, there really is nothing to drive value in this person's signature and I imagine demand would not be there even if a flood of signatures became available. I also imagine that if a signed card did come to market though, it would bring crazy prices just because of set collectors.

Yep! Taveras is also a possibility for a private signing on SCN, so waiting to see if that works out.

My big issue are guys like Brian Powell. Ever since his suicide, people have gone crazy because he didn't sign much. $150 for a baseball is not happening.

AstrosAtoZ
     AstrosAtoZ
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Patience pays off in the end. I refused to pay $150 for Dr. Mike Marshall. I needed him and everyone that had something wanted too much. His career was interesting but not in any way worth that price.

Eventually an auction popped up in honest auction format and I got him for $38. Patience wins in the end. I donít need the last 62 cards today. Iíve worked 10 years to get here. I can wait 10 more to finish.

AstrosAtoZ
     AstrosAtoZ
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The final "S" arrived today!

Mike Stanton

His autograph is only moderately difficult to find but mostly because of the Yankees pitcher with the same name.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if everyone sees "?" for your photos or just some, like me. Is that the same Stanton who played for the Mariners in the 80s? His signature is tougher to find than most common type players of that same era for the Mariners. In fact, several 80s era Mariners seem a lot harder than you'd expect given their careers. Some guys just don't like to sign I guess.
    Last edited by mrmopar; 12-05-2017 at 07:52 PM.

mrmet17
    Mentioned
    505 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah Iím not seeing the pics either

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

AstrosAtoZ
     AstrosAtoZ
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weird. Iím not sure what is going on with the pics. Iíll play with my website to see if I can fix it.

And yes, it is that Mike Stanton. He briefly played for the Astros.

mrmet17
    Mentioned
    505 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weird. Iím not sure what is going on with the pics. Iíll play with my website to see if I can fix it.

And yes, it is that Mike Stanton. He briefly played for the Astros.

I donít think itís just you, Iíve noticed a lot of peopleís pics are coming up broken

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

AstrosAtoZ
     AstrosAtoZ
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Christmas brought me three new autographs and two upgrades!

Francisco Cordero

Jim Crawford

Jerry Grote

And two upgrades, including a biggie!

Yulieski Gurriel. Upgraded from an IP. He notoriously signs teeny tiny and this one is larger than typical, so a big upgrade!

Craig Biggio, upgraded from an IP auto.

AstrosAtoZ
     AstrosAtoZ
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another Christmas gift given to me for Boxing Day.

Alex Taveras, also signed by Bob Bailor, but the Taveras is the auto I care about.

AstrosAtoZ
     AstrosAtoZ
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last new autograph of 2017.

Anderson Hernandez

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast