Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

World Series (formerly ALDS/NLDS...)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
I'm a Pudge fan too. Always have been. I'm not even that tied to Yadi as a Cards fan. I was hoping they'd let him play out next season and then hand the reigns to Carson Kelly but instead they blocked Kelly with an aging vet just like they did Yadi with Matheny.

When you look at the numbers for their careers, on a rate basis Yadi is just as good. I'll do the math if you want but it isn't hard to see. Pudge caught a little over 20,000 innings. Yadi is a shade over 14,000 right now. Pudge has a shade over 10,000 At Bats and Yadi has 6,700. Pudge was a slightly better hitter (104 wRC+ to Yadi's current 100) but with framing in the mix (and the framing dataset goes back to 1988 so it includes Pudge's whole career) Yadi is substantially better defensively. Pudge had a longer offensive peak but at their peak season values aren't much different. Pudge peaked at 6.8 fWAR. Yadi peaked at 6.1. Neither of those figures includes framing data and Bill James is more than comfortable giving Yadi 2-3 WAR a year for framing and defense that isn't measured. I've never heard him put a definitive yearly value on Pudge's WAR bump for framing but Pudge was a league average or a bit above framer so it won't be nearly as much as Yadi's. When you dig into the advanced metrics for catching the sheen comes off of Pudge's defense a bit. He is still a great defensive catcher but he isn't at the top of the list anymore.

All true but even adding in WAR's totality for Molina would still place his far behind a 10 year peak that Ivan had in his prime. Molina is a great catcher and I would not mind seeing him in the HOF but I could also understand if he does not make it in, unless he can defy aging and produce at a high level late in his career. Other posts bring up a good point as well. When you look at the number of players that have played MLB and the demands of a catcher, Molina producing at the level he does rightfully places his name in the discussion.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Well, my World Series matchup prediction was accurate...just not the number of games it took to get there. Yankees put up a fight, that's for sure!

Same, I had Astros in 6 and Dodgers in 5, with the Dodgers in 7 for the WS.

Who you got in the WS and how many games?

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
Same, I had Astros in 6 and Dodgers in 5, with the Dodgers in 7 for the WS.

Who you got in the WS and how many games?

Apparently, this was my prediction:

Astros in 6.
Dodgers in 7.
Astros win the WS in 6

Was wayyy off with the Dodgers series. I still believe in my World Series prediction from a couple weeks back.

Maybe I'm just hoping for that prediction because I really like this years Astros team. Loaded with young talent & an veterans presence in the front of the rotation. Lots of present, former & future All-Stars...Altuve, Correa, Springer, Verlander, Keuchel, McCullers. But the Dodgers have done a lot better in the postseason than I thought they'd have done up to this point so I'm certainly not counting them out.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
How sad. You will be wearing your Yadi jersey sitting at home watching Albert Pujols who carried the Cardinals to 2 World Series wins and Clayton Kershaw get inducted into the hall of fame.

20 years after Yadier retires, majority of baseball fans will not know who Yadier is or was. F%@# Overrated Get-out-of-here Molina!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Did you seriously just join to hate on Sam Banks?

Members online

Latest posts