Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

You've Never Seen these Before - 90s Prototype Edition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I lost some very minor auctions due to Gixen's failure too. Wonder if Mirror users were unaffected? I bought the membership once, but have mostly been using the free service. It seems every so often, something happens though and it doesn't work. It is somewhat regular, although infrequent, and almost feels like a "penalty" for not buying the service, but it is probably just technical difficulties with one of the server, like he says.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
Looking forward to seeing the Andruw's get listed. Did you happen to ask if he had any of the certified Platinum sets?
This is the one I have.

View attachment 73844

The only totally certifieds he mentioned to me he had, were these:

529529221.jpg

Since we have only ever seen the totally certified gold #s 1-10, perhaps all they made was 1-10 of these, but then again, you never know!

timtom

Apr 24, 2013
Nashville, TN
I lost some very minor auctions due to Gixen's failure too. Wonder if Mirror users were unaffected? I bought the membership once, but have mostly been using the free service. It seems every so often, something happens though and it doesn't work. It is somewhat regular, although infrequent, and almost feels like a "penalty" for not buying the service, but it is probably just technical difficulties with one of the server, like he says.

I do subscribe to the mirror and apparently both failed. I've had times that the regular server failed and the mirror won the auction for me, but never a time when both failed.

I'm really pissed it just so happened to fail on a card I was so excited about and likely will never see again. I had placed the snipe as soon as the auction was listed. I was out at a whiskey festival and knew I wouldn't be looking at my phone. I won an auction about 3 hours earlier with a snipe. Just really bummed out about this.

Just venting now

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Great story! I must admit, I was planning on going big on the red that ended yesterday, until I saw this story. The fact that there’s more, and more colors, and this story feels like a “promotion”... I totally lost interest. I had $150 saved in PayPal ready to make a fair stab at it, but once I saw the story, the ending of auctions, selling offline, etc, It’s exactly what I don’t like about the hobby. Every collector is different, so I am not being negative on any buyer or seller, just not my cup of tea. This story saved me some money, that’s for sure! FWIW the Gwynn ended at $80.

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Great story! I must admit, I was planning on going big on the red that ended yesterday, until I saw this story. The fact that there’s more, and more colors, and this story feels like a “promotion”... I totally lost interest. I had $150 saved in PayPal ready to make a fair stab at it, but once I saw the story, the ending of auctions, selling offline, etc, It’s exactly what I don’t like about the hobby. Every collector is different, so I am not being negative on any buyer or seller, just not my cup of tea. This story saved me some money, that’s for sure! FWIW the Gwynn ended at $80.

Thanks for reading! I can definitely see your point - it is always best to know/think something is a 1/1, however to me, I just think of these as potentially a significantly rarer type of the 96 mirror golds, 98 crusade reds, etc. and a cool story to boot. While it may take the wind out of some sails initially, down the road, I can easily see these being much bigger than they already are ... especially when all are cataloged and when more information is out about them.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Unknown is a bit heavy handed and even fake new-ish. Might want to edit the web article and title as full sets have been known since about 1999 or 2000 when D&A sold multiple sets of Red and Blue.

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Unknown is a bit heavy handed and even fake new-ish. Might want to edit the web article and title as full sets have been known since about 1999 or 2000 when D&A sold multiple sets of Red and Blue.

Okay, how about unknown by 99%? :)

David K.

Aug 26, 2008
Fresno, CA
Crazy stuff.....Lots of the higher ups walked out the door with stuff that should have lefted for the Insolvent court. Best regards David

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
Fascinating.

Hoping to fill in some gaps on my side. I've had two Mirror Red Erstad for a while.

Any other news on Platinum Golds /30? I can confirm I've seen #s 2, 5, 9, 10, 11, 15, 16, 18, 19, 20, 27, 28.

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Fascinating.

Hoping to fill in some gaps on my side. I've had two Mirror Red Erstad for a while.

Any other news on Platinum Golds /30? I can confirm I've seen #s 2, 5, 9, 10, 11, 15, 16, 18, 19, 20, 27, 28.

Sadly, I don't have any other information. That is interesting though! Do you have any pics of the #s higher than 10?