Please don't adblock plus me bro

User Tag List

Thread: LCS Fun Fact

Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LCS Fun Fact

For the first time in the 49 year history of the ALCS/NLCS, teams from the four largest US cities are playing.

#1 NY
    #2 LA
    #3 Chicago
    #4 Houston

2005 was the only other time where even 3 of the 4 largest cities were involved (LA, Chicago, Houston).

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What makes you say that?
    After I had identified a few, I saw and recognized the shade of him who made, through cowardice, the great refusal.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WCTYSON View Post
    What makes you say that?
    LCS/WS national ratings have been slumping or decreasing as time goes on and I don't think having 4 major city clubs in the playoffs is going to help much. Interesting stat in OP but I don't think it's going to increase MLB playoff ratings. Baseball is very regional. For instance, I don't think Royals or Cardinals fans are going to give a rats ass about clubs in the 4 markets but baseball fans in those markets will but that's not enough fan viewership for huge ratings. I think ratings will be huge in those 4 cities as it usually the case for playoff ratings in the cities of the participating teams, but not huge nationally so we'll see same or decreased ratings for this year's LCS/WS.

Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If itís the Yankees vs Cubs in the World Series, I predict the highest rated World Series ever.

If itís the Dodgers vs Houston in the World Series, I predict one of the lowest rated World Series ever.

Nobody outside of the western part of the country is going to care about a Dodgers vs Houston World Series.

Every casual fan in the country will tune in to watch the Cubs play the Yankees.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t think viewership has declined, just changed along with how it is measured.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.barro...lem-1501909637

I do agree some markets are regional but not any of these four. Quite often in major metros the residents are transient and that market is mobile.
    After I had identified a few, I saw and recognized the shade of him who made, through cowardice, the great refusal.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The games have been awesome so far and I'm doing my best to help the ratings.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by u2me57 View Post
    The games have been awesome so far and I'm doing my best to help the ratings.
    Fans will be fans, they'll watch whoever since its the playoffs. It's the casual fan that I think MLB has to be concerned about.

ALCS Game 1 had above-average, strong ratings so that's a good start. I haven't seen ALCS Game 2 or NLCS Game 1 ratings yet to know if those were also strong.

Featured Contributor
    The best players in history?
    Super Moderator
     Topnotchsy
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rsmath View Post
    LCS/WS national ratings have been slumping or decreasing as time goes on and I don't think having 4 major city clubs in the playoffs is going to help much. Interesting stat in OP but I don't think it's going to increase MLB playoff ratings. Baseball is very regional. For instance, I don't think Royals or Cardinals fans are going to give a rats ass about clubs in the 4 markets but baseball fans in those markets will but that's not enough fan viewership for huge ratings. I think ratings will be huge in those 4 cities as it usually the case for playoff ratings in the cities of the participating teams, but not huge nationally so we'll see same or decreased ratings for this year's LCS/WS.
    Even if baseball is completely regional, wouldn't the 4 largest regions attract the most attention?

I also feel like certain teams and players transcend the regions like the Cubs, Red Sox (who are obviously no longer in the Playoffs) and maybe the Yanks.

I also think Judge is someone who will catch garner national attention.

youseekyoda421
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was expecting a fun fact about my Local Card Shop

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    General TV Ratings have become almost irrelevant...
    Currently looking for: 2012 Ultra football (1992 style) #31 Rudy and Gold parallel version of 2011 Bowman Platinum Chase Utley #94.

Always looking for: 2008 BC Jake Peavy Orange Refractors /25, have 6 so far.

AstrosAtoZ
     AstrosAtoZ
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cjedmonton View Post
    For the first time in the 49 year history of the ALCS/NLCS, teams from the four largest US cities are playing.

#1 NY
    #2 LA
    #3 Chicago
    #4 Houston

2005 was the only other time where even 3 of the 4 largest cities were involved (LA, Chicago, Houston).
    The only flaw is that Houston was the 5th largest city in 2005. It became the 4th largest city in 2012.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by youseekyoda421 View Post
    I was expecting a fun fact about my Local Card Shop
    That was my first thought too.
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AstrosAtoZ
     AstrosAtoZ
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only knew this because I lived in Houston when it took the fourth spot.