Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

LCS Fun Fact

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
For the first time in the 49 year history of the ALCS/NLCS, teams from the four largest US cities are playing.

#1 NY
#2 LA
#3 Chicago
#4 Houston

2005 was the only other time where even 3 of the 4 largest cities were involved (LA, Chicago, Houston).

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Let's see how that translates into LCS/WS ratings. I have a feeling they'll be stale or decrease compared to recent years.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
What makes you say that?

LCS/WS national ratings have been slumping or decreasing as time goes on and I don't think having 4 major city clubs in the playoffs is going to help much. Interesting stat in OP but I don't think it's going to increase MLB playoff ratings. Baseball is very regional. For instance, I don't think Royals or Cardinals fans are going to give a rats ass about clubs in the 4 markets but baseball fans in those markets will but that's not enough fan viewership for huge ratings. I think ratings will be huge in those 4 cities as it usually the case for playoff ratings in the cities of the participating teams, but not huge nationally so we'll see same or decreased ratings for this year's LCS/WS.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
If it’s the Yankees vs Cubs in the World Series, I predict the highest rated World Series ever.

If it’s the Dodgers vs Houston in the World Series, I predict one of the lowest rated World Series ever.

Nobody outside of the western part of the country is going to care about a Dodgers vs Houston World Series.

Every casual fan in the country will tune in to watch the Cubs play the Yankees.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
The games have been awesome so far and I'm doing my best to help the ratings.:p

Fans will be fans, they'll watch whoever since its the playoffs. It's the casual fan that I think MLB has to be concerned about.

ALCS Game 1 had above-average, strong ratings so that's a good start. I haven't seen ALCS Game 2 or NLCS Game 1 ratings yet to know if those were also strong.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
LCS/WS national ratings have been slumping or decreasing as time goes on and I don't think having 4 major city clubs in the playoffs is going to help much. Interesting stat in OP but I don't think it's going to increase MLB playoff ratings. Baseball is very regional. For instance, I don't think Royals or Cardinals fans are going to give a rats ass about clubs in the 4 markets but baseball fans in those markets will but that's not enough fan viewership for huge ratings. I think ratings will be huge in those 4 cities as it usually the case for playoff ratings in the cities of the participating teams, but not huge nationally so we'll see same or decreased ratings for this year's LCS/WS.

Even if baseball is completely regional, wouldn't the 4 largest regions attract the most attention?

I also feel like certain teams and players transcend the regions like the Cubs, Red Sox (who are obviously no longer in the Playoffs) and maybe the Yanks.

I also think Judge is someone who will catch garner national attention.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
For the first time in the 49 year history of the ALCS/NLCS, teams from the four largest US cities are playing.

#1 NY
#2 LA
#3 Chicago
#4 Houston

2005 was the only other time where even 3 of the 4 largest cities were involved (LA, Chicago, Houston).

The only flaw is that Houston was the 5th largest city in 2005. It became the 4th largest city in 2012.

Members online

Latest posts