Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

New to the forum. I PC Jeff Frye and Ozzie Smith mainly.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Nice to meet you all.

I've been collecting sports cards since the mid '80s after I got a box of 1986 Donruss to keep me busy on a drive to Disney World. My dad and I organized card shows all over Eastern Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Missouri during the 80s and early 90s before teenage pursuits pulled me away. My favorite memory of those days is spending an entire day visiting with Buck O'Neil at a Tulsa show while he signed autographs. I've met lots of athletes through the years at auto signings but Buck was different. I kept collecting sporadically until about 2002, which thankfully was long enough to stock up on the RCs of some Cardinal (now ex-Cardinal) named Albert Pujols. We even had a little shop in Tahlequah for a few years during the early 90s.

My son just turned 6 and he's gotten really interested in baseball and Pokemon cards so I thought it was time to get my feet back into collecting as well. Wow have things changed.

I was a voracious Ozzie Smith collector. Most of my collection is still in storage but at the time of his retirement I had 99% of the Ozzie cards listed in Beckett. I know I'm only probably 30% of the way to that now. It seems like he's had more cards produced since he retired then he did while active. I also have every regional issued card I've ever come across of him. It's been years since I counted but at one time I had about 2,200 individual cards. I also have several signed balls, photos, bats, and a glove. Throw in Starting Lineups, McFarlanes, and bobbleheads and I'm surprised my wife lets me live at our house.

I've also done my best to collect every Jeff Frye card there is out there and I'm almost there. I just need a few of the really rare ones like 1999 Fleer Tradition Starting 9 and his printing plates. I've been a fan of his since he signed autographs for us in 1991 while he was with the Tulsa Drillers.