Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Value and thoughts on authenticity of Jackie Robinson & Dodgers team signed ball

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jhk

Sep 19, 2009
North Kakalaki
Hey, so first if this is the wrong section, please let me know or mods move it.

I’m trying to get some values on a Brooklyn Dodgers team ball I believe from ‘47 that wasn’t signed on a real ML ball but a dime store Branch Rickey ball that was only available at the Dodgers store or stadium. Jackie Robinson in the sweet spot!! If I’m wrong, please let me know. Any thoUghts on value as I’ve done my research couldn’t come up with much.

I’ve got the chance to pick it up for around 600.

Thanks in advance folks!

Attachments

• 295F7F54-2BE6-490A-87BE-40FD1EB4C685.jpeg
    295F7F54-2BE6-490A-87BE-40FD1EB4C685.jpeg
    394.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 7CB3CA04-DA5C-4C50-AF7E-5A2CFDF7BF82.jpeg
    7CB3CA04-DA5C-4C50-AF7E-5A2CFDF7BF82.jpeg
    449.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 87ADEF6D-C416-4A9B-9BB5-1A453BDBFD71.jpeg
    87ADEF6D-C416-4A9B-9BB5-1A453BDBFD71.jpeg
    434.6 KB · Views: 24

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
If genuine, it is a good pickup for 600. The Robinson on the sweet spot is great, but you also have a nice HOFer in Arky Vaughn on there. As you point out, the quality of ball drops the value a bit. I think it looks legit, but can't see it that well, especially the Robinson because of the glare. It looks a bit funky, but it's tough to sign on such a small, curved surface. My main concern would be that clubhouse signers in those days were damn good at replicating star autographs.

The place to post this is on Net54, by the way. I trust the collective opinion there more than any TPA.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
I can tell you the Dodgers baseballs from this era are laden with Clubhouse signatures and I would proceed with caution before laying out any money for it. I would suggest you go to the Net54 boards and posting this on the autograph section and some of the best autograph experts will give you an opinion that is more solid than any JSA or PSA certificate. You can also reach out to Richard Simon who I trust with my life if my life depended on determining if an autograph is legit or not. Richard can be reached via email at [email protected] Send him these pictures and he will tell you if they are genuine or not.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Value and thoughts on authenticity of Jackie Robinson & Dodgers team signed ball

Some good recommendations above. I believe Richard Simon charges a fee for a formal assessment but you can post on net54 to get opinions.

Would help to have a full list of players. A couple of names like Vaughan were on the team in both 47 and 48 but not after. Since Jackie was there starting in 47 that can help pin the time.

Jackie rarely signed on the sweet spot. If it’s legit that would boost the value.

My biggest concern would be that someone added a Jackie to a ball that was from that era but not signed by him. With the glare in the pictures I can’t judge whether it looks authentic to me. I’m not an autograph expert, but I have quite a few Jackie Robinson signatures starting from 1937 and into the 50’s including a 46 minor league ball and a 47 ball...

I included some pictures for comparison

f7f758ffc0a82c513b687a0a8509d35a.jpg

d2cf0d06adb6b768264c86adc28fa064.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Some good recommendations above. I believe Richard Simon charges a fee for a formal assessment but you can post on net54 to get opinions.

Would help to have a full list of players. A couple of names like Vaughan were on the team in both 47 and 48 but not after. Since Jackie was there starting in 47 that can help pin the time.

Jackie rarely signed on the sweet spot. If it’s legit that would boost the value.

My biggest concern would be that someone added a Jackie to a ball that was from that era but not signed by him. With the glare in the pictures I can’t judge whether it looks authentic to me. I’m not an autograph expert, but I have quite a few Jackie Robinson signatures starting from 1937 and into the 50’s including a 46 minor league ball and a 47 ball...

I included some pictures for comparison

f7f758ffc0a82c513b687a0a8509d35a.jpg

d2cf0d06adb6b768264c86adc28fa064.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

I always marvel at your collection.

I believe you might be right about Richard Simon and as you say, posting a picture on the board usually gets him to chime in. If the OP is looking to sell this item Richard will usually let you know if the item is good if you send him an email and typically provide a more than fair offer for it.