Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BA's Organizational Top 10 Prospect Lists Thread (Today - Update)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
This thread will be used to post and comment on Baseball America's Top 10 lists for 2018.

The NL East lists kick off today, beginning with the Braves.

Notable omissions include Bryse Wilson, Touki Toussaint and Joey Wentz, among others. With such a stacked system it's not that surprising, though. They're almost certainly the #1 overall system right now.

Atlanta Braves Top 10 Prospects

1. RONALD ACUNA, OF
2. LUIZ GOHARA, LHP
3. MIKE SOROKA, RHP
4. KYLE WRIGHT, RHP
5. IAN ANDERSON, RHP
6. AUSTIN RILEY, 3B
7. KOLBY ALLARD, LHP
8. MAX FRIED, LHP
9. KEVIN MAITAN, SS
10. CRISTIAN PACHE, OF

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2018-atlanta-braves-top-10-prospects/#5Ybm81ZIhcypVseU.97

Last edited:

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
This thread will be used to post and comment on Baseball America's Top 10 lists for 2018.

The NL East lists kick off today, beginning with the Braves.

Notable omissions include Bryse Wilson, Touki Toussaint and Joey Wentz, among others. With such a stacked system it's not that surprising, though. They're almost certainly the #1 overall system right now.

1. RONALD ACUNA, OF
2. LUIZ GOHARA, LHP
3. MIKE SOROKA, RHP
4. KYLE WRIGHT, RHP
5. IAN ANDERSON, RHP
6. AUSTIN RILEY, 3B
7. KOLBY ALLARD, LHP
8. MAX FRIED, LHP
9. KEVIN MAITAN, SS
10. CRISTIAN PACHE, OF

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2018-atlanta-braves-top-10-prospects/#5Ybm81ZIhcypVseU.97

I've begun compiling my own list and will be releasing a few shortly, but omitting Wilson is a major error. Spoiler: He's number 2 on my list.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side

1. RONALD ACUNA, OF
2. LUIZ GOHARA, LHP
3. MIKE SOROKA, RHP
4. KYLE WRIGHT, RHP
5. IAN ANDERSON, RHP
6. AUSTIN RILEY, 3B
7. KOLBY ALLARD, LHP
8. MAX FRIED, LHP
9. KEVIN MAITAN, SS
10. CRISTIAN PACHE, OF

I'm not a fan of this ranking...not one bit. Neither Pache or Fried should be included among the top 10 and they should have been replaced with Wilson & Wentz. Austin Riley & Ian Anderson are too high and Kolby is too low. I have no complaints with their top 3.

Off the top of my head, I'd rank them something like this...

1. Ronald Acuna
2. Luiz Gohara
3. Mike Soroka
4. Kolby Allard
5. Kevin Maitan
6. Kyle Wright
7. Joey Wentz
8. Bryse Wilson
9. Ian Anderson
10. Austin Riley

If I put more thought into it I may rearrange #'s 6-9 but it would be of the same combination of pitching prospects (Wright, Wentz, Wilson, Anderson). I could probably say the same thing about #'s 2-4. Same group of players, just possibly moved around.

Maitan may not have set the world on fire in his pro debut but you must remember he's still only 17.
Despite a decent ERA, I do believe Kolby underperformed this season. Too many walks, not enough strikeouts. However, throughout the season Kolby Allard would have these starts where he flashed his incredible potential with scoreless double digit strikeout performances.
While I don't believe Joey Wentz & Bryse Wilson have received the attention they deserve, I'm just not sold on Ian Anderson. Yes, the kid can put up those k's but his command is flimsy at best. His stats improved when they decided to only use him 1 or 2 innings a start but that's only natural.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
I'm not a fan of this ranking...not one bit. Neither Pache or Fried should be included among the top 10 and they should have been replaced with Wilson & Wentz. Austin Riley & Ian Anderson are too high and Kolby is too low. I have no complaints with their top 3.

Off the top of my head, I'd rank them something like this...

1. Ronald Acuna
2. Luiz Gohara
3. Mike Soroka
4. Kolby Allard
5. Kevin Maitan
6. Kyle Wright
7. Joey Wentz
8. Bryse Wilson
9. Ian Anderson
10. Austin Riley

If I put more thought into it I may rearrange #'s 6-9 but it would be of the same combination of pitching prospects (Wright, Wentz, Wilson, Anderson). I could probably say the same thing about #'s 2-4. Same group of players, just possibly moved around.

Maitan may not have set the world on fire in his pro debut but you must remember he's still only 17.
Despite a decent ERA, I do believe Kolby underperformed this season. Too many walks, not enough strikeouts. However, throughout the season Kolby Allard would have these starts where he flashed his incredible potential with scoreless double digit strikeout performances.
While I don't believe Joey Wentz & Bryse Wilson have received the attention they deserve, I'm just not sold on Ian Anderson. Yes, the kid can put up those k's but his command is flimsy at best. His stats improved when they decided to only use him 1 or 2 innings a start but that's only natural.

I definitely think Soroka and Wilson will fair better going forward than Allard, Anderson and Wright.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
I definitely think Soroka and Wilson will fair better going forward than Allard, Anderson and Wright.

Definitely agree with Soroka. I also agree that Wilson could end up leap frogging Anderson & Wright in the ranks. But not Allard. Wilson had a better season than Allard but Wilson was pitching in single-A at 19 while Allard was pitching in double-A at the same age (for most of the season). It's still possible Allard doesn't reach his lofty projections & Wilson continues to pitch far better than originally projected. I'd like to see him develop a plus secondary pitch when he reaches the higher levels.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
I think BA'S love for Gimenez is a bit too strong. He has a high ceiling, but he's incredibly far away from reaching it. I'm close to compiling my Mets top 10 and I don't foresee Gimenez as my #1 right now.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
First two, maybe.

Sent from my XT1650 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

It wasn't long ago when the Mets had a strong farm system but right now it looks really weak. I see possibly 5 players who I'd considered average & one or two who are above average. Most of their top pitchers look like future bullpen arms.

I think BA'S love for Gimenez is a bit too strong. He has a high ceiling, but he's incredibly far away from reaching it. I'm close to compiling my Mets top 10 and I don't foresee Gimenez as my #1 right now.

Where would you rank Peter Alonso? He might be my favorite of a very thin system. Some project his raw power as plus-plus & if he can continue to make consistent contact it could translate into far greater game power.

My top 3 would be a combo of Alonso/Peterson/Gimenez but I can't think of any specific order to rank them.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
It wasn't long ago when the Mets had a strong farm system but right now it looks really weak. I see possibly 5 players who I'd considered average & one or two who are above average. Most of their top pitchers look like future bullpen arms.

Now this is sad. From today's chat:

Matt Eddy: The Mets have a bottom-third system right now, and they possibly could rank in the 26-30 group based on lack of a blue-chip talent. They aren't particularly deep either once you get past No. 15.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
Now this is sad. From today's chat:

Matt Eddy: The Mets have a bottom-third system right now, and they possibly could rank in the 26-30 group based on lack of a blue-chip talent. They aren't particularly deep either once you get past No. 15.

Dang, that is low.

The D-Backs farm system has been near the bottom the last couple years but it's possible their farm now exceeds the Mets since they have a couple prospects who rank in the top 50-100 (Smith, Duplantier).

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.

Where would you rank Peter Alonso? He might be my favorite of a very thin system. Some project his raw power as plus-plus & if he can continue to make consistent contact it could translate into far greater game power.

My top 3 would be a combo of Alonso/Peterson/Gimenez but I can't think of any specific order to rank them.

I haven't gotten to my Mets top 10 yet, but Gimenez won't be my number 1. Off the top of my head, it's probably going to be this: Dunn, Peterson, Alonso and Gimenez to start

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
In BA's eyes, Crawford can do no wrong. That's 4 years in a row he's held the top slot.

Philadelphia Phillies Top 10 Prospects

1. J.P. Crawford, SS
2. Sixto Sanchez, RHP
3. Scott Kingery, 2B
4. Adonis Medina, RHP
5. Adam Haseley, OF
6. Jojo Romero, LHP
7. Jhailyn Ortiz, OF
8. Jorge Alfaro, C
9. Mickey Moniak, OF
10. Franklyn Kilome, RHP

http://www.baseballamerica.com/mino...hillies-top-10-prospects/#olIU0Mij8MjarEZj.97

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
In BA's eyes, Crawford can do no wrong. That's 4 years in a row he's held the top slot.

1. J.P. Crawford, SS
2. Sixto Sanchez, RHP
3. Scott Kingery, 2B
4. Adonis Medina, RHP
5. Adam Haseley, OF
6. Jojo Romero, LHP
7. Jhailyn Ortiz, OF
8. Jorge Alfaro, C
9. Mickey Moniak, OF
10. Franklyn Kilome, RHP

http://www.baseballamerica.com/mino...hillies-top-10-prospects/#olIU0Mij8MjarEZj.97

Wow is this list way off from mine. Spoiler: When I post it, Crawford is not #1. I have Kingery, Sanchez and Crawford in my top 3.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States

1. J.P. Crawford, SS
2. Sixto Sanchez, RHP
3. Scott Kingery, 2B
4. Adonis Medina, RHP
5. Adam Haseley, OF
6. Jojo Romero, LHP
7. Jhailyn Ortiz, OF
8. Jorge Alfaro, C
9. Mickey Moniak, OF
10. Franklyn Kilome, RHP

To be fair...they did drop Crawford to 92 on their top 100.

It's hard to ignore the numbers he put up after his putred first half.

His slash line from 7/13 (post injury) to 9/4 was 287/385/513 with an 898 OPS

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
To be fair...they did drop Crawford to 92 on their top 100.

It's hard to ignore the numbers he put up after his putred first half.

His slash line from 7/13 (post injury) to 9/4 was 287/385/513 with an 898 OPS

Despite Crawford's second half, I believe Sanchez and Kingery consistently had better overall years and deserved to rank above him. But we all know about BA's hard-on for premium position guys, led off by shortstops.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
Despite Crawford's second half, I believe Sanchez and Kingery consistently had better overall years and deserved to rank above him. But we all know about BA's hard-on for premium position guys, led off by shortstops.

I get Kingery but not really sure about Sanchez...he was good but he didn't exactly set the world on fire...I would say Adonis Medina is on par with sanchez.

Either way it's a good problem to have.

Members online

Latest posts