Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BA's Organizational Top 10 Prospect Lists Thread (Today - Update)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
I really don't understand why Alcantara is being ranked higher than O'Neill (jbone had a similar ranking I believe). Honestly I don't see anything that stands out about him (certainly not top 100) & while O'Neill's batting average & OPS took a dip this year, his power potential is enough to keep him among the top 100.

BA's Kyle Glaser told me earlier in the chat he expects the top five to make it into BA's 100, and Hicks may also have a shot.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
BA's Kyle Glaser told me earlier in the chat he expects the top five to make it into BA's 100, and Hicks may also have a shot.

I figured as much because I couldn't see BA dropping O'Neill from the top 100 and if he makes it in then Alcantara would have to as well.

Jordan Hicks making the top 100 would sort of surprise me but it wouldn't shock me either. No standout plus pitches and below average command but up to this point his stats have been pretty good.

Kind of a potential fringe top 100 prospect in my mind.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Jordan Hicks making the top 100 would sort of surprise me but it wouldn't shock me either. No standout plus pitches and below average command but up to this point his stats have been pretty good.

Kind of a potential fringe top 100 prospect in my mind.

Scouting Report: Athletic, physical and aggressive, Hicks works 93-98 mph with his fastball, sits 95 and touches 101 in short bursts. He holds his velocity deep into his starts, and his fastball plays up further with armside life that handcuffs same-side batters. Hicks pairs his heater with a tight power curveball at 79-82 mph that is his go-to swing-and-miss pitch and draws plus-plus grades. He also has a firm changeup with depth that flashes average and an 83-85 mph slider he'll mix in. While Hicks' arsenal is nasty, his delivery has a lot of moving parts and causes below-average command and control at times. He has the athleticism to streamline and repeat but has yet to show he can.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
Scouting Report: Athletic, physical and aggressive, Hicks works 93-98 mph with his fastball, sits 95 and touches 101 in short bursts. He holds his velocity deep into his starts, and his fastball plays up further with armside life that handcuffs same-side batters. Hicks pairs his heater with a tight power curveball at 79-82 mph that is his go-to swing-and-miss pitch and draws plus-plus grades. He also has a firm changeup with depth that flashes average and an 83-85 mph slider he'll mix in. While Hicks' arsenal is nasty, his delivery has a lot of moving parts and causes below-average command and control at times. He has the athleticism to streamline and repeat but has yet to show he can.

Wow, the scouts at BA have a far more favorable report than mlb.com's *most recent. They have him listed as above average with both the fastball and curveball (with the potential for the curve to become a plus pitch due to spin rate)

*to be fair it was released midseason and Hicks since showed improvement since the promotion to high-A

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
Bryce Harper big leagued it in Junior College. I'm fine with it. 18 year olds are all immature.

Delvin Perez isn't and will never be Bryce Harper, big leaguing or no big leaguing. Harper got away with stuff like that because his talent never wavered. Perez is big leaguing it, playing like crap and mouthing off to coaches. That won't score you any brownie points anytime soon.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Delvin Perez isn't and will never be Bryce Harper, big leaguing or no big leaguing. Harper got away with stuff like that because his talent never wavered. Perez is big leaguing it, playing like crap and mouthing off to coaches. That won't score you any brownie points anytime soon.

No he won't, but if you're going to severely ding an 18 year old for being immature then you're going to knock a lot of people down rankings.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
St. Louis Cardinals Top 10 Prospects

1. Alex Reyes, RHP
2. Jack Flaherty, RHP
3. Carson Kelly, C
4. Sandy Alcantara, RHP
5. Tyler O'Neill, OF
6. Jordan Hicks, RHP
7. Magneuris Sierra, OF
8. Harrison Bader, OF
9. Dakota Hudson, RHP
10. Ryan Helsley, RHP

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2018-st-louis-cardinals-top-10-prospects/#0gjJsqq0DJxb2ItK.97

(Well, get outta town! Another top 10 list missing Delvin Perez. Obviously it's one big conspiracy.)

BA grades Alcantara's FB better than Alex Reyes'! Must be real damn good. Of course one would never know it based on his Bowman auto prices. :???:

Cardinals system looks strong.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States

You seem to shift from one thing to another when you try to explain one player versus another.

18 year olds do immature things...if you're going to use slash lines to keep Perez off your list that's cool. It would be nice if you didn't constantly shift to eyeballs and terms like "big league" to defend a position.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Strong system. Youngish team in the majors and a strong system.

A bit surprised Lutz didn't make the list. I'm assuming Hader wasn't ranked due to service time, as he has less than 50 IP.

Their faith in Ortiz seems a bit misplaced at this point. For one, his physique needs a lot of work. And his projection has faded, IMO.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
Milwaukee Brewers Top 10 Prospects

1. Lewis Brinson, OF
2. Brandon Woodruff, RHP
3. Corbin Burnes, RHP
4. Keston Hiura, 2B
5. Monte Harrison, OF
6. Luis Ortiz, RHP
7. Brett Phillips, OF
8. Lucas Erceg, 3B
9. Isan Diaz, 2B/SS
10. Corey Ray, OF

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2018-milwaukee-brewers-top-10-prospects/#Qt4xhVEPSG19UFPh.97

Ditto on Ortiz, J.P. He simply isn't the same pitcher since being traded. Granted he has two plus pitches, but his makeup is a concern. He's missed time with a lot of injuries and reports are he will be a reliever going forward. I'm also not that high on Woodruff. Opponents made way too much contact off of him for my liking. I'm also shocked at Lutz's omission. Erceg, Diaz and Ray had middle of the road seasons and I cannot believe Freddy Peralta isn't on this list. He had a better K per 9 ratio in Biloxi, opponents made poor contact against him and limited the damage. Yes, he walks a ton, but I have faith he will turn it around with an above average changeup. You don't punch out 169 hitters in 120.0 innings for nothing. Imagine if he harnesses control.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Ditto on Ortiz, J.P. He simply isn't the same pitcher since being traded. Granted he has two plus pitches, but his makeup is a concern. He's missed time with a lot of injuries and reports are he will be a reliever going forward. I'm also not that high on Woodruff. Opponents made way too much contact off of him for my liking. I'm also shocked at Lutz's omission. Erceg, Diaz and Ray had middle of the road seasons and I cannot believe Freddy Peralta isn't on this list. He had a better K per 9 ratio in Biloxi, opponents made poor contact against him and limited the damage. Yes, he walks a ton, but I have faith he will turn it around with an above average changeup. You don't punch out 169 hitters in 120.0 innings for nothing. Imagine if he harnesses control.

I would be curious on Peralta as well. It is likely a combination of his size, control and velocity of his fast ball, and opinions that he ends up in the pen.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
You can take Daniel Flores off your Red Sox prospects lists. Died at age 17 from cancer. :( RIP.

Alex Speier‏ @alexspeier
Awful news: Red Sox CEO/president Sam Kennedy says highly regarded Red Sox catching prospect Daniel Flores died due to complications from cancer. Story shortly at http://bostonglobe.com .

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
Chicago Cubs Top 10 Prospects

1. Aramis Ademan, SS
2. Adbert Alzolay, rhp
3. Jose Albertos, rhp
4. Victor Caratini, c
5. Alex Lange, RHP
6. Oscar De La Cruz, RHP
7. Brendon Little, LHP
8. Thomas Hatch, RHP
9. Jen-Ho Tseng, RHP
10. Nelson Velazquez, OF

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2018-chicago-cubs-top-10-prospects/

Holy smokes regarding Ademan. The kid certainly has surprising pop in that bat, but I definitely didn't expect him to claim the top spot over two pitchers with high ceilings.

Members online