Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2018 Organizational top 10 prospect lists (Running)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
2018 Organizational Top 10 Prospects​

Welcome to my feeble attempt at coming up with a top 10 prospect list for every organization. This process was time consuming and certainly worth the rigorous research. I’m not one for stately introductions, so with that in mind, let’s get on with it! Teams will be posted at completion.

Today: ARIZONA, ATLANTA AND BALTIMORE

Arizona Diamondbacks

1. Pavin Smith, 1B

Analysis: In true Smith form, he was a singles hitting machine and had a heavy contact rate

2. Jon Duplantier, RHP

Analysis: Duplantier averaged more than a K per inning and gets out of jams with the best of them due to his high walk rate

3. Marcus Wilson, OF

Analysis: Wilson since turning pro has cut down on his K rate and he’s hit for more power

4. Daulton Varsho, C

Analysis: When you have 26 extra base hits in only 50 games at a tough position, you’re going to ascend quickly up rankings

5. Domingo Leyba, 2B/SS

Analysis: Injuries plagued his season, but Leyba still remained solid when returning from the DL

6. Anthony Banda, LHP

Analysis: Banda had a pedestrian 2017, especially walking a career high, but the stuff is still there

7. Drew Ellis, 3B

Analysis: Ellis didn’t hit for average, but his 8 homers in 48 contests is encouraging

8. Anfernee Grier, OF

Analysis: Grier struck out quite a bit and pulls the ball too much, but his 58 walks are a positive sign that he will adapt to go along with 30 stolen bases

9. Jared Miller, LHP

Analysis: Relievers usually don’t make these lists and although Miller has a high walk rate, his near 80 LOB% and 12.35 K/9 is quite rare

10. Christian Walker, 1B

Analysis: Granted the PCL is a hitter’s haven, but when you draw 61 walks and hit 32 long balls, this ain’t a fluke

Atlanta Braves

1. Ronald Acuna, OF

Analysis: No strenuous research needed. He’s the best prospect in the business

2. Bryse Wilson, RHP

Analysis: Bet you weren’t expecting that, huh? Well, when you throw more than a K per inning and have a 52% GBR, you’re going to move quickly up rankings

3. Mike Soroka, RHP

Analysis: This guy exceeded expectations beyond anyone’s wildest dreams and is on pace for a number 3 starter profile

4. Luiz Gohara, LHP

Analysis: When you jump from High-A to the show in 1 season, that’s impressive

5. Kolby Allard, LHP

Analysis: Allard walked his fair share of hitters, but considering he was only 19 years old in Double A, his season exceeded expectations

6. Ian Anderson, RHP

Analysis: Notice a trend here? Another pitcher...Anderson had a promising season, albeit his high walk rate and high BABIP.

7. Kyle Wright, RHP

Analysis: Wright continued off of his success at Vanderbilt with a dominant pro debut

8. Max Fried, LHP

Analysis: It seemed like Fried was overcome by prospect fatigue, but his 2017 season proved otherwise

9. Cristian Pache, OF

Analysis: Due to the loss of Maitan, Pache slides in

10. Austin Riley, 3B

Analysis: Riley only got better when promoted to Double A and his AFL campaign is confirming the legit power

Baltimore Orioles

1. Chance Sisco, C

Analysis: Sisco will never hit for much power, but the guy is a line drive machine and a future .300 hitter in the show

2. Austin Hays, OF

Analysis: When you have an ISO of .264 and hit over .300, you’re going to rank high

3. Hunter Harvey, RHP

Analysis: It’s been a rough road for the 2013 1st round pick, but the stuff is still there

4. Ryan Mountcastle, SS/3B

Analysis: Mountcastle is tapping into that power projection more than many expected

5. Alex Wells, LHP

Analysis: As a starter, Wells only walked 10 batters in 140 innings

6. Cedric Mullins, OF

Analysis: With a Low K rate and high ISO, Mullins proved he does a little bit of everything

7. Tanner Scott, LHP

Analysis: Scott pitched to more than a K per inning, despite going 0-2 in 24 starts. Talk about bad luck!!

8. D.J. Stewart, OF

Analysis: It was a resurgent season for Stewart as he set career bests in a whole host of categories

9. D.L. Hall, LHP

Analysis: From D.J. to D.L. The lefty walked more than a youngster should, but the stuff and makeup is undeniable

10. Anthony Santander, OF

Analysis: The rule 5 pick had an impressive showing in Baltimore, following an injury riddled campaign

Last edited:

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
I certainly prefer your Braves top 10 over Baseball America's recent ranking & I think your D-Backs list is pretty much spot on.

I really don't follow the O's system because I haven't invested in an O's prospect in quite some time due to a weak farm system the last few years but I'd have the same 3 prospects in the top 3, just with Hays at #1 and Sisco #2

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
I certainly prefer your Braves top 10 over Baseball America's recent ranking & I think your D-Backs list is pretty much spot on.

I really don't follow the O's system because I haven't invested in an O's prospect in quite some time due to a weak farm system the last few years but I'd have the same 3 prospects in the top 3, just with Hays at #1 and Sisco #2

Thanks man! You don't know how long I thought about Sisco over Hays. The only reason I rank Sisco higher is that a .300 hitter as a catcher is quite rare at the MLB level. Sisco has a chance to do that consistently

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
Today: BOS, CHC & CWS

Boston Red Sox

1. Michael Chavis, 3B

Analysis: More than half of Chavis’ 133 hits went for extra bases, including a career high 31 long balls

2. Jay Groome, LHP

Analysis: The walks and ERA are troubling, but Groome still has an advanced makeup that is undeniable

3. Tanner Houck, RHP

Analysis: He’s projected to be a future reliever, but Boston could be looking at it’s future closer

4. Sam Travis, 1B

Analysis: After being riddled with injuries, Travis returned to Beantown and hit .263

5. Josh Ockimey, 1B

Analysis: Although his strikeouts remain troublesome, Ockimey drew 83 walks and hit the ball to all fields

6. Bryan Mata, RHP

Analysis: Despite being 18 years old, Mata put up a high ground ball rate and almost pitched to a K per inning

7. C.J. Chatham, SS

Analysis: His 2017 was a lost one due to a broken hamate bone, but Chatham has an incredibly high ceiling

8. Mike Shawaryn, RHP

Analysis: Shawaryn punched out more than 10.0 per 9; however, his walk rate is a bit troubling

9. Jake Thompson, RHP

Analysis: In his small sample size, Thompson was quite effective

10. Cole Brannen, OF

Analysis: He had a rough pro debut, but the athleticism and running ability are too much to deny

Chicago Cubs

1. Victor Caratini, C/1B

Analysis: Although he’s blocked by Contreras and Rizzo, it only takes one injury before Caratini will be full-time in Chi Town

2. Jose Albertos, RHP

Analysis: Albeit Albertos walked a few, his high ground ball rate and pure stuff leaves much to be desired

3. Adbert Alzolay, RHP

Analysis: The separation between Alzolay and Albertos is miniscule with the latter having a higher ceiling

4. Alex Lange, RHP

Analysis: Scouts are skeptical of his future as a starter, but Lange’s stuff is quite advanced

5. Oscar De La Cruz, RHP

Analysis: Injuries plagued his 2017 season and although he pitches to contact, his fastball-curve combo is well above average

6. Aramis Ademan, SS

Analysis: Ademan has an incredibly high ceiling and there’s some nice pop in his bat

7. Mark Zagunis, OF

Analysis: Granted the PCL is kind to hitters, Zagunis walked 70 times while amassing 35 extra base hits

8. Thomas Hatch, RHP

Analysis: Walks are a bit of a problem for Hatch, but if all comes together he is a true starter

9. Dillon Maples, RHP

Analysis: Maples switched to a reliever full time and the results have been magical as he amassed a gaudy 13.75 K per 9 at AAA Iowa

10. Brendon Little, LHP

Analysis: His pro debut wasn’t too good, but Little has a big ceiling (See what I did there?)

Chicago White Sox

1. Eloy Jimenez, OF

Analysis: I’ve been watching minor league ball for 11 years. Jimenez is the best hitter I’ve ever seen

2. Michael Kopech, RHP

Analysis: Walks continue to be a problem for Kopech, but when you throw a million miles per hour and have an advanced secondary pitch, you’re going to strike people out

3. Alec Hansen, RHP

Analysis: Walks plagued Hansen as well in 2017, but his advanced secondary pitches led him to a ridiculous 12.65 K per 9 at High-A

4. Luis Robert, OF

Analysis: He’s basically the next Moncada. All he has to do is stay healthy

5. Dane Dunning, RHP

Analysis: His high ground ball rate and strikeout stuff is indicative of his #3 starter potential

6. Blake Rutherford, OF

Analysis: It was a whirlwind season for Rutherford, but his tools are undeniable

7. Dylan Cease, RHP

Analysis: Cease is simply unlucky with his 1-10 record; however, his strikeout stuff leaves him with a decent ceiling as a potential #3-4 starter

8. Zack Collins, C

Analysis: He’s never going to hit for average, but half of Collins’ hits went for extra bases to go along with his advanced plate discipline

9. Jake Burger, 3B

Analysis: He’s never going to be confused for an athletic specimen, but Burger has some serious pop in that bat

10. Gavin Sheets, 1B

Analysis: He’s never going to hit for average, but the power potential is definitely there

Last edited:

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
Thanks man! You don't know how long I thought about Sisco over Hays. The only reason I rank Sisco higher is that a .300 hitter as a catcher is quite rare at the MLB level. Sisco has a chance to do that consistently

Yeah, he's shown the ability to make consistent contact at a position where offense is at a premium. I think either of the two could be considered their top prospect depending on how you look at it.

Today: BOS, CHC & CWS

Boston Red Sox

1. Michael Chavis, 3B

Analysis: More than half of Chavis’ 133 hits went for extra bases, including a career high 31 long balls

2. Jay Groome, LHP

Analysis: The walks and ERA are troubling, but Groome still has an advanced makeup that is undeniable

3. Daniel Flores, C

Analysis: This ranking might be premature, but if all comes together, Boston has found it’s Francisco Mejia

4. Tanner Houck, RHP

Analysis: He’s projected to be a future reliever, but Boston could be looking at it’s future closer

5. Sam Travis, 1B

Analysis: After being riddled with injuries, Travis returned to Beantown and hit .263

6. Josh Ockimey, 1B

Analysis: Although his strikeouts remain troublesome, Ockimey drew 83 walks and hit the ball to all fields

7. Bryan Mata, RHP

Analysis: Despite being 18 years old, Mata put up a high ground ball rate and almost pitched to a K per inning

8. C.J. Chatham, SS

Analysis: His 2017 was a lost one due to a broken hamate bone, but Chatham has an incredibly high ceiling

9. Mike Shawaryn, RHP

Analysis: Shawaryn punched out more than 10.0 per 9; however, his walk rate is a bit troubling

10. Jake Thompson, RHP

Analysis: In his small sample size, Thompson was quite effective

Chicago Cubs

1. Victor Caratini, C/1B

Analysis: Although he’s blocked by Contreras and Rizzo, it only takes one injury before Caratini will be full-time in Chi Town

2. Jose Albertos, RHP

Analysis: Albeit Albertos walked a few, his high ground ball rate and pure stuff leaves much to be desired

3. Adbert Alzolay, RHP

Analysis: The separation between Alzolay and Albertos is miniscule with the latter having a higher ceiling

4. Alex Lange, RHP

Analysis: Scouts are skeptical of his future as a starter, but Lange’s stuff is quite advanced

5. Oscar De La Cruz, RHP

Analysis: Injuries plagued his 2017 season and although he pitches to contact, his fastball-curve combo is well above average

6. Aramis Ademan, SS

Analysis: Ademan has an incredibly high ceiling and there’s some nice pop in his bat

7. Mark Zagunis, OF

Analysis: Granted the PCL is kind to hitters, Zagunis walked 70 times while amassing 35 extra base hits

8. Thomas Hatch, RHP

Analysis: Walks are a bit of a problem for Hatch, but if all comes together he is a true starter

9. Dillon Maples, RHP

Analysis: Maples switched to a reliever full time and the results have been magical as he amassed a gaudy 13.75 K per 9 at AAA Iowa

10. Brendon Little, LHP

Analysis: His pro debut wasn’t too good, but Little has a big ceiling (See what I did there?)

Chicago White Sox

1. Eloy Jimenez, OF

Analysis: I’ve been watching minor league ball for 11 years. Jimenez is the best hitter I’ve ever seen

2. Michael Kopech, RHP

Analysis: Walks continue to be a problem for Kopech, but when you throw a million miles per hour and have an advanced secondary pitch, you’re going to strike people out

3. Alec Hansen, RHP

Analysis: Walks plagued Hansen as well in 2017, but his advanced secondary pitches led him to a ridiculous 12.65 K per 9 at High-A

4. Luis Robert, OF

Analysis: He’s basically the next Moncada. All he has to do is stay healthy

5. Dane Dunning, RHP

Analysis: His high ground ball rate and strikeout stuff is indicative of his #3 starter potential

6. Blake Rutherford, OF

Analysis: It was a whirlwind season for Rutherford, but his tools are undeniable

7. Dylan Cease, RHP

Analysis: Cease is simply unlucky with his 1-10 record; however, his strikeout stuff leaves him with a decent ceiling as a potential #3-4 starter

8. Zack Collins, C

Analysis: He’s never going to hit for average, but half of Collins’ hits went for extra bases to go along with his advanced plate discipline

9. Jake Burger, 3B

Analysis: He’s never going to be confused for an athletic specimen, but Burger has some serious pop in that bat

10. Gavin Sheets, 1B

Analysis: He’s never going to hit for average, but the power potential is definitely there

That White Sox farm system is loaded but the other Chicago team looks like it's been squeezed dry. The had one of the best systems not that long ago.

I'm not as high on Hansen as you and I'd probably move Cease & Collins up a spot but other than that it's a solid ranking.

I'm glad to see that someone else would also rank Chavis as the Red Sox top prospect. His breakout season exceeded the potential of Groome in my mind. Groome has the stuff but that command is troubling.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
Yeah, he's shown the ability to make consistent contact at a position where offense is at a premium. I think either of the two could be considered their top prospect depending on how you look at it.

That White Sox farm system is loaded but the other Chicago team looks like it's been squeezed dry. The had one of the best systems not that long ago.

I'm not as high on Hansen as you and I'd probably move Cease & Collins up a spot but other than that it's a solid ranking.

I'm glad to see that someone else would also rank Chavis as the Red Sox top prospect. His breakout season exceeded the potential of Groome in my mind. Groome has the stuff but that command is troubling.

I thought the Angels list would be the toughest, but the Cubs list was by far the toughest. After Caratini, you have a bunch of maybe prospects with mid to high ceilings.

I don't believe there is much separation between Hansen and Kopech. Both have stupidly high ceilings, throw hard and have advanced breaking balls. Next to Kopech, Hansen is the next best pitching prospect in the system.

Chavis was a no doubt for me over Groome for that reason. The ceiling and stuff is there for Groome, but his command woes have me a bit worried. He's too good to give up on, though.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
I thought the Angels list would be the toughest, but the Cubs list was by far the toughest. After Caratini, you have a bunch of maybe prospects with mid to high ceilings.

I don't believe there is much separation between Hansen and Kopech. Both have stupidly high ceilings, throw hard and have advanced breaking balls. Next to Kopech, Hansen is the next best pitching prospect in the system.

Chavis was a no doubt for me over Groome for that reason. The ceiling and stuff is there for Groome, but his command woes have me a bit worried. He's too good to give up on, though.

Outside of Chavis & Groome do you see any other prospects on the Sox organization who could possibly be top 100 prospects in 2018?

Yeah, I was amazed when I saw the Cubs ranking. I had no idea it had been so depleted. Quintana really did cost an arm and a leg. I count less than 10 prospects who would be considered average or better at this point.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
Outside of Chavis & Groome do you see any other prospects on the Sox organization who could possibly be top 100 prospects in 2018?

Yeah, I was amazed when I saw the Cubs ranking. I had no idea it had been so depleted. Quintana really did cost an arm and a leg. I count less than 10 prospects who would be considered average or better at this point.

Right now I do not outside of Chavis and Groome, but keep your eye on Mata. There might be an Anderson Espinoza effect at work.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
Today: CIN, CLE & COL

Cincinnati Reds

1. Nick Senzel, 3B

Analysis: Greene may have a higher ceiling than any prospect in the business, but Senzel’s .321 average, 57 extra base hits and 49 walks make him the easy choice for #1

2. Hunter Greene, RHP

Analysis: As previously mentioned, Greene is a special talent

3. Taylor Trammell, OF

Analysis: Trammell has five tool potential as indicative by his nice season

4. Shed Long, 2B

Analysis: When second basemen have pop like Long does and he goes opposite way, this is a legit talent

5. Jose Siri, OF

Analysis: Siri had a breakout season with 59 extra base hits and 46 stolen bases

6. Tyler Mahle, RHP

Analysis: After only walking 30 in 144.1 innings, Mahle walked 11 in 20.0 innings. The starter potential is still there, though

7. Tony Santillan, RHP

Analysis: Walks were a problem for him, but the low average against him and pure stuff leaves room for growth

8. Jesse Winker, OF

Analysis: Winker has dropped a few pegs in the power department, but he’s a base hit machine and doesn’t strike out often

9. Jeter Downs, SS

Analysis: Granted it was rookie ball, but Downs showed advanced plate discipline and plenty of pop in his pro debut

10. Vladimir Gutierrez, RHP

Analysis: Gutierrez is a control freak by only walking 19 hitters in 103.0 innings

Cleveland Indians

1. Francisco Mejia, 3B/C

Analysis: Another year where Mejia hits everything in sight and doesn’t strike out often. Ho-hum!

2. Triston McKenzie, RHP

Analysis: McKenzie pitched to a gaudy 11.71 K per 9 with a 41.8% ground ball rate

3. Shane Bieber, RHP

Analysis: Opponents hit .274 against Bieber, but his 10 walks in 173.1 innings is much to be desired to go along with 162 punch outs

4. Nolan Jones, 3B

Analysis: The combination of current production and loud tools makes Jones one of the more intriguing prospects in the business

5. Aaron Civale, RHP

Analysis: Like Bieber, Civale rarely walks anyone and has a true #3-4 starter ceiling

6. Bobby Bradley, 1B

Analysis: The power is quite real, but Bradley still needs to make more consistent contact

7. Greg Allen, OF

Analysis: He’s never going to hit for power, but Allen is toolsy as they come

8. Willi Castro, SS

Analysis: Castro is a solid player all around and his uptick in power is quite encouraging for a premium position

9. Will Benson, OF

Analysis: Even though Benson whiffed 33.9% of the time, his 10 homers and 31 walks in only 56 games is indicative of his potential for growth

10. Quentin Holmes, OF

Analysis: If Holmes makes consistent contact to go along with his elite speed, you’re looking at a solid leadoff man down the road

Colorado Rockies

1. Brendan Rodgers, SS

Analysis: In only 89 games, Rodgers amassed 47 extra base hits and hit .336

2. Ryan McMahon, IF

Analysis: McMahon had a breakout season by hitting .355 with 63 extra base hits and walked 41 times in the process

3. Peter Lambert, RHP

Analysis: In the hitter friendly California League, Lambert had a solid season indicative of his #3 starter profile

4. Ryan Vilade, SS/3B

Analysis: In 33 games Vilade walked 27 times showing advanced plate discipline, while amassing a .308 average including 5 long balls

5. Riley Pint, RHP

Analysis: Walks plagued Pint in 2017, but his high ground ball rate to go along with an explosive fastball is indicative that he’ll turn it around

6. Colton Welker, 3B

Analysis: Welker was only limited to 67 games; however, his .350 average is unthinkable in any league

7. Tom Murphy, C

Analysis: His season was lost due to an injury suffered in spring training; however, Murphy showed much promise in his limited action

8. Sam Hilliard, OF

Analysis: Hillard struck out 154 times which is a big red flag, but when you hit .300 and amass 51 extra base hits and 50 walks, teams are willing to overlook the whiffs

9. Garrett Hampson, SS/2B

Analysis: He might be blocked going forward in Colorado, but if he continues to rake, they will find a spot for you

10. Jordan Patterson, OF

Analysis: He might be considered “old” for a prospect, but Patterson had a career year with minor MLB time under his belt from the year before

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
Scouts have hyped Greene like crazy but I haven't completely bought into it yet. I'm not saying I don't think he'll become a good prospect, I just don't agree with the top 15-30 rankings being handed out by BA, K.Law & mlb.com already.

His ceiling is certainly very high but at the moment I think a bottom end top 50 rank would suffice.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Like the Rockies list but man I'm way high on Hampson. Dude can hit and was pretty nice in the field as well.

Bring me your Bickford, Ryan McMahon, Senzatela and Peter Lambert cards

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
Scouts have hyped Greene like crazy but I haven't completely bought into it yet. I'm not saying I don't think he'll become a good prospect, I just don't agree with the top 15-30 rankings being handed out by BA, K.Law & mlb.com already.

His ceiling is certainly very high but at the moment I think a bottom end top 50 rank would suffice.

Yeah the 15-30 rankings are highly over hyped. Greene should be in the 40-50 range IMO.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
Like the Rockies list but man I'm way high on Hampson. Dude can hit and was pretty nice in the field as well.

Hampson is no joke man. It will be interesting to see if his 2017 was a fluke or not. Seems more like a super utility candidate than a starter, though

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Hampson is no joke man. It will be interesting to see if his 2017 was a fluke or not. Seems more like a super utility candidate than a starter, though
I have read that same thing. I guess the cal league can be misleading with hitters though

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016

When it comes to the Colorado middle infield I'm more of a Brendan Rodgers man myself. I only wish his cards were cheaper.

But while Hampson hasn't flashed much power, dude can hit for average and gets on base a lot.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
Today: DET, HOU & KCR

Detroit Tigers

1. Matt Manning, RHP

Analysis: Manning has only surrendered 2 career long balls in nearly 80 innings to go along with two advanced pitches. His ceiling is a #1-2 starter

2. Franklin Perez, RHP

Analysis: There’s very little separation between Perez and Manning. Perez also profiles as a top of the rotation arm due to his advanced arsenal

3. Kyle Funkhouser, RHP

Analysis: When you keep the ball in the yard, don’t walk anyone and strike out more than a batter per inning, good things will happen

4. Daz Cameron, OF

Analysis: Since coming over from Houston, Cameron is tapping into that power potential scouts were so high on

5. Beau Burrows, RHP

Analysis: Burrows pitched to a bunch of contact and allowed a fair share of walks, but he struck out more than a batter per inning to mirror his middle of the rotation starter projection

6. Alex Faedo, RHP

Analysis: Like Burrows, the former Florida Gator has a middle of the rotation ceiling

7. Isaac Paredes, SS

Analysis: The 18 year old drew plenty of walks, amassed a low K rate and showed pop with 11 homers at a premium position

8. Christin Stewart, OF

Analysis: It was a typical Stewart season: middle of the road batting average, tons of extra base hits and plenty of walks and whiffs

9. Jake Rogers, C

Analysis: Rogers is quite an athlete for a catcher as he stole 14 bags and popped 18 long balls in 112 games

10. Dawel Lugo, 3B/SS

Analysis: He’s never going to be an all-star, but Lugo has some pop in his bat

Houston Astros

1. Forrest Whitley, RHP

Analysis: When you become even more dominant as the year goes on and finish with 143 strikeouts in 92.1 innings, you know something went right

2. Kyle Tucker, OF

Analysis: Tucker is a multiple year all-star waiting to happen with his five tools on display
3. J.D. Davis, 3B

Analysis: Granted he struggled in a brief MLB stint and Bregman is in the way, Davis still had an incredible season

4. J.B. Bukauskas, RHP

Analysis: The jury is still out regarding his starter profile, but Bukauskas throws a ton of ground balls and has an advanced fastball and slider

5. Yordan Alvarez, 1B/OF

Analysis: Alvarez has advanced plate discipline and is a pure hitter

6. Myles Straw, OF

Analysis: He’s never going to hit for power, but Straw had more walks (94) than strikeouts (79) while also stealing 38 bags and amassing a .290 average

7. Rogelio Armenteros, RHP

Analysis: Armenteros had a solid year as a 23 year old in the hitter friendly PCL

8. Colin Moran, 3B/1B

Analysis: He’s probably trade bait, but it seems like Moran has finally put it altogether

9. Corbin Martin, RHP

Analysis: Granted he pitched against younger talent and his ceiling is suspect, but Martin averaged more than a K per inning and pitched to a 58.8% ground ball rate

10. Garrett Stubbs, C

Analysis: It was a lost season due to injuries, but when he’s healthy, Stubbs rakes like no other

Kansas City Royals

1. Nicky Lopez, SS

Analysis: With Escobar on the way out, Lopez could very well be the next in line due to his excellent plate discipline and athleticism

2. Nick Pratto, 1B

Analysis: Pratto had an excellent pro debut with 22 extra base hits in only 52 games played. His ceiling is incredibly high

3. Khalil Lee, OF

Analysis: Although Lee amassed 47 extra base hits and drew 65 walks, he whiffed 171 times and only hit .237 showing his raw profile

4. Seuly Matias, OF

Analysis: His profile is incredibly raw, but the power is quite real

5. Richard Lovelady, LHP

Analysis: Yes, I’m a fan if you haven’t guessed. His ground ball rate is to be desired, he keeps the ball in the park and strikes out a boat load of hitters

6. Michael Gigliotti, OF

Analysis: In 64 games, Gigliotti hit .320, stole 22 bags and had almost as many walks (40) as strikeouts (41)

7. Miguel Almonte, RHP

Analysis: There’s a bit of prospect fatigue here, but Almonte still has good stuff

8. Scott Blewett, RHP

Analysis: Although he surrendered plenty of long balls, Blewett still has a starter ceiling due to his advanced fastball and curve

9. Erik Skoglund, LHP

Analysis: He struggled with KC, but Skoglund had a promising season at more advanced levels

10. M.J. Melendez, C

Analysis: There’s nothing more promising than a rookie catcher with advanced plate discipline and decent offensive flare

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
I like Whitley a lot but I firmly believe Kyle Tucker is the top prospect of the Astros organization. In my mind Tucker is a top 10 overall prospect. I wouldn't rank Whitley that far behind...easily in the top 25.

Oh don't worry lol. Tucker will be #1 on most lists you'll find. Whitley ranked ahead on my list for a few reasons. 1.) He went from Low A to Double A in one season. 2.) His K per 9 is absolutely ungodly. 3.) Pitchers his size usually struggle finding the plate. Not him lol

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts