Please don't adblock plus me bro

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2005 Diamond Kings Challenge 1/1

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know the sets originally came with a full set of 4 press plates for a random player. The Garvey set was selling when I was having issues buying and I let it go for well under what it might have otherwise sold for.

I am not sure about the first set being stamped, but it sounds like something that might have been done at the time. I was traveling and had issues with loading watched items and missed a bunch of Dodgers early on, but luckily happened on the site before the 2nd run ended. I got most I won for $2 or less, a few close to 10 and then I paid dearly (as usual) for Garvey. If they look fishy, we can always do a not as described and get a refund I suppose.

juangris311
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kryslarry View Post
    The Rickey Henderson went for $89.89. Unfortunately I was not the high bidder.
    I think sortsof.com skipped over 100 or so cards when I read through the completed listings.

Is the sale price for the Canseco legit? Seems like 2 buyers went for it and got wild.
    Always Looking For Adam Dunn Autograph Cards!

deliciousbacon666
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pissed, I missed out on all of them after our power went out on Sunday (just came back on a half-hour ago). The two Glauses went for next to nothing, well below what I would have paid.
    I'm DelBacon on Sportlots, tons of great cards!

1K+ Club - Top Player Collections (as of 10/13/17): 1. Glaus: 2093 - 2. Rolen: 1653 - 3. Thome: 1599 - 4. Helton: 1504 - 5. Garciaparra: 1437 - 6. L. Walker: 1287 - 7. D. Ortiz: 1265 - 8. R. Palmeiro: 1223 - 9. Biggio: 1054 - 10. Edmonds: 1038 - 11. A. Beltre: 1003

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear that. That sucks!

olerud363
     @olerud363
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wondered about the legitimacy of these as well. Had never heard of these before, and after 12 years you'd think someone would have known something, especially the big-time player collectors here. I was watching the Olerud and it when for just over $27.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    Collecting John Olerud cards and memorabilia.
    My hobby website: www.cardboardcorner.weebly.com

Thanks to JBel4331 for the awesome custom signature and avatar!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Gris View Post
    I think sortsof.com skipped over 100 or so cards when I read through the completed listings.

Is the sale price for the Canseco legit? Seems like 2 buyers went for it and got wild.
    It's legit (wasn't me).
    Collecting Jose Canseco -- www.MattsCansecoCollection.com

Approaching 2200 unique cards and over 260 autos!

Pinbreaker
     pinbreaker
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ended up winning 3 of them..

Edgar #201, $48
    Griffey #338, $67
    Clemens #350.. $15

I didn't see the first Griffey #72 or it would have been more as well,
    I bid on the Olerud, but felt that it went a little more then I wanted to pay..
    Last edited by Pinbreaker; 11-01-2017 at 12:27 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I won the Strawberry for $17 and change.

dsj51
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a bunch of Yankees and a Miggy and Palmeiro

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What we'd need was the memory of someone who may have put together the set to redeem in hopes of being first. I was not buying packs, so never really followed new stuff. I suppose it should have been cataloged by someone though.

If someone built the set, was the first to redeem and did in fact get a stamped set back and has kept it all these years or even if the set changed hands, but was never broken up, it is easy to see how nobody knew about it, but the thing I keep thinking about is why it seems to be a complete mystery to everyone all the same.

I ended up with 8-10 singles. I would feel ripped off on the Garvey if they turned out to be BS, but the rest were minor pocket change.

Featured Contributor
    Bridging the Gap
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are all fake.
    -Sincerly, someone who didn't get his guy.

I actually don't know what to think about these. I think it is a cool story but does bother me there is absolutely nothing to be found on these - not even worth point. The seller mentioned the set was purchased in 2006 from ebay. While there are others to be found on worthpoint from 2006, this set doesn't seem to appear. One would think Donruss would have made a huge deal about this promotion ... getting a complete set of 1/1s ... that is gonna be at the top of all my marketing material in 2005!

If someone was REALLY skeptical about this, they would get their hands on a pic of the top of the box from the multiple listings, and see if the wood grain matches anything in worthpoint. (All worthpoints show the top of the boxes, not the sides, and the pic from the listings do not show the top but rather the sides, lol.

I could go either way on these, personally, but it would bother me not being able to find out anything about them, especially since it probably would have been a yuuuge deal.
    Last edited by mouschi; 11-01-2017 at 07:21 PM.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME!
    Do you have rare Jose Canseco cards? Let me know! www.CansecoCollector.com

juangris311
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
    If someone built the set, was the first to redeem and did in fact get a stamped set back and has kept it all these years or even if the set changed hands, but was never broken up, it is easy to see how nobody knew about it, but the thing I keep thinking about is why it seems to be a complete mystery to everyone all the same.
    There are many holes in the Donruss saga and this set-break is no different. Is there a record of when this complete set sold on eBay for $5,000+ besides Worthpoint?
    Last edited by Juan Gris; 11-02-2017 at 02:18 AM.
    Always Looking For Adam Dunn Autograph Cards!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they're legit. I just can't imagine someone stamping that many cards by hand. I'll have mine today and will compare the stamping to my other 1/1's from this set.

Also I got the Mariano Rivera for $31.

Scott F
    Mariano Rivera Super Collector. Always buying rare Mo's - PSA's, Auto's, Patches, Printing Plates, or any other rare Mo's. I PAY MORE THAN ANYONE FOR MARIANO'S I NEED.

Kyouk20
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got my Biggio today. The stamping is bad. Maybe it's just this one, but it's tilted for crying out loud, extra and missing foil in some spots. I won't send it back regardless, but if we were voting I would now say fake. I'd need strong proof otherwise.

Sent from my XT1585 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Featured Contributor
    Bridging the Gap
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yikes! Hopefully some other folks will post theirs up ... perhaps this was just an isolated mess up by Donruss.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME!
    Do you have rare Jose Canseco cards? Let me know! www.CansecoCollector.com

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast