Please don't adblock plus me bro

User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 2005 Diamond Kings Challenge 1/1

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picked up the Gwynn and it looks fine, and the story makes sense, and it was cheap. It's cool and all, but as far as 1/1's go, it ranks below a printing plate, but just above an ebay 1/1. Basically, it was a "first printed" like a 1/25, or a 1/100, or in this case a 1/450. I get that collectors should be wary, but I don't understand how there is so much skepticism on something like this. Are there examples out there of collectors getting scammed with something like this? I mean, proven examples? The same skepticism came with those Upper Deck Anniversary cards, but they're real.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the Juan I just got. Looks good to me. I am very happy I got it and for a very good price for a 1/1.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwynn545 View Post
    Picked up the Gwynn and it looks fine, and the story makes sense, and it was cheap. It's cool and all, but as far as 1/1's go, it ranks below a printing plate, but just above an ebay 1/1. Basically, it was a "first printed" like a 1/25, or a 1/100, or in this case a 1/450. I get that collectors should be wary, but I don't understand how there is so much skepticism on something like this. Are there examples out there of collectors getting scammed with something like this? I mean, proven examples? The same skepticism came with those Upper Deck Anniversary cards, but they're real.
    I'm leaning toward legit, though I'm not sure. My main reasoning is how/why would someone stamp 450 cards like this and come up with that story. I know people will do anything for money, but usually ebay and baseball card scammers just aren't that smart or creative.

I will put my Mariano with the rest of my "Plain Jane" 1/1's. I would also rank it below printing plates but way above ebay 1/1's and also above convention type 1/1's.

Scott F
    Mariano Rivera Super Collector. Always buying rare Mo's - PSA's, Auto's, Patches, Printing Plates, or any other rare Mo's. I PAY MORE THAN ANYONE FOR MARIANO'S I NEED.

Kyouk20
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwynn545 View Post
    After seeing both pack issued and sent in hand stamped versions that both look good and less than good it just points to poor craftsmanship. If it is a scam this seller got a lot of people but I'd say it's probably not. There have just been enough small scammers/counterfeiters to put the thought there.

Pinbreaker
     pinbreaker
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I just received mine in the mail..

If you look down the right side of the card, there is a subtle "Challenge"
    (you can see it in the Juan Gonzalez card pic)

Attachment 74521 Attachment 74522

Attachment 74523 Attachment 74524

Attachment 74525 Attachment 74526
    Last edited by Pinbreaker; 11-11-2017 at 08:17 PM.

Pinbreaker
     pinbreaker
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pick your team..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/322837865232

Quote Originally Posted by theplasticman View Post
    Anyone seeing #207 Bucky Jacobsen?
    These aren't labeled 1/1 but they have the "Challenge" watermark.. Get the whole Mariners set.. and then sell off the Mariners you don't need..

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The embossed Challenge cards were from sets people put together and redeemed for the Challenge set. THIS set that is being discussed was supposedly the FIRST set assembled and redeemed and therefore stamped 1/1. There is a huge difference between the two. As someone pointed out, there were supposed to be about 400 Challenge sets, but only 1 set can be stamped 1/1.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinbreaker View Post
    Pick your team..

These aren't labeled 1/1 but they have the "Challenge" watermark.. Get the whole Mariners set.. and then sell off the Mariners you don't need..
    As far as the comments about why be weary, it really depends on what you spent. I have paid decent money for ACEO and custom cards, so $5-10 for a potential "factory" 1/1 is not a risk if they turn out to be fake. If you sent $50, $100 or more, then you might feel quite a bit different.

Assuming these are real, I rank this set well above a printer plate as far as 1/1 cards go. My reasoning is that plates are randomly packed out and finding one (although finding all 4 of one card can be near impossible) is relatively easy, especially with eBay. This set, before it was broken up, required someone to quickly assemble it, return it to Donruss and was then presumably stamped and returned as a set. It was a good possibility that these cards might never hit the market as a set, let alone as singles. Finding a single of the player you collect is a big score in what might otherwise have been a lost set.

Mine are still making there way to me, but as I said before, I would not be keen paying close to $100 for a fake.

theplasticman
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pick your team..

Thanks, I have a few of the Jacobsen embossed but not the 1/1 version.
    COMC listings: theplasticman

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I just received mine in the mail..

Attachment 74525 Attachment 74526
    For ME???
    Let the MLB know you’d like to see UD back. The license comes up in a couple years and they listen on social media.

Pinbreaker
     pinbreaker
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by magicpapa View Post
    For ME???
    I'd trade it for a red crusade ��

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd trade it for a red crusade ��
    Let the MLB know you’d like to see UD back. The license comes up in a couple years and they listen on social media.

Pinbreaker
     pinbreaker
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by magicpapa View Post
    Only someone familiar with the way Minn-EE-Sotans talk would get that..

Not alot of people from So Cal speak that way.. Some in Washington did, but they were transplants from Hibbing..(my parents)

juangris311
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took a group pic of my 3 auto 1/1's (left) with my 2 new Challenge 1/1's (right). They look legit, as do the "Challenge" stamp on the fronts.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Challenge Backs 1.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	155.5 KB 
ID:	74690Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Challenge Up Close.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	223.2 KB 
ID:	74691
    Always Looking For Adam Dunn Autograph Cards!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345