Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2005 Diamond Kings Challenge 1/1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Picked up the Gwynn and it looks fine, and the story makes sense, and it was cheap. It's cool and all, but as far as 1/1's go, it ranks below a printing plate, but just above an ebay 1/1. Basically, it was a "first printed" like a 1/25, or a 1/100, or in this case a 1/450. I get that collectors should be wary, but I don't understand how there is so much skepticism on something like this. Are there examples out there of collectors getting scammed with something like this? I mean, proven examples? The same skepticism came with those Upper Deck Anniversary cards, but they're real.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
Here is the Juan I just got. Looks good to me. I am very happy I got it and for a very good price for a 1/1.

juan_picture.php

juan_picture.php

forgerelli

Apr 4, 2013
Picked up the Gwynn and it looks fine, and the story makes sense, and it was cheap. It's cool and all, but as far as 1/1's go, it ranks below a printing plate, but just above an ebay 1/1. Basically, it was a "first printed" like a 1/25, or a 1/100, or in this case a 1/450. I get that collectors should be wary, but I don't understand how there is so much skepticism on something like this. Are there examples out there of collectors getting scammed with something like this? I mean, proven examples? The same skepticism came with those Upper Deck Anniversary cards, but they're real.

I'm leaning toward legit, though I'm not sure. My main reasoning is how/why would someone stamp 450 cards like this and come up with that story. I know people will do anything for money, but usually ebay and baseball card scammers just aren't that smart or creative.

I will put my Mariano with the rest of my "Plain Jane" 1/1's. I would also rank it below printing plates but way above ebay 1/1's and also above convention type 1/1's.

Scott F

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT

After seeing both pack issued and sent in hand stamped versions that both look good and less than good it just points to poor craftsmanship. If it is a scam this seller got a lot of people but I'd say it's probably not. There have just been enough small scammers/counterfeiters to put the thought there.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
The embossed Challenge cards were from sets people put together and redeemed for the Challenge set. THIS set that is being discussed was supposedly the FIRST set assembled and redeemed and therefore stamped 1/1. There is a huge difference between the two. As someone pointed out, there were supposed to be about 400 Challenge sets, but only 1 set can be stamped 1/1.

Pick your team..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/322837865232

These aren't labeled 1/1 but they have the "Challenge" watermark.. Get the whole Mariners set.. and then sell off the Mariners you don't need..

As far as the comments about why be weary, it really depends on what you spent. I have paid decent money for ACEO and custom cards, so $5-10 for a potential "factory" 1/1 is not a risk if they turn out to be fake. If you sent $50, $100 or more, then you might feel quite a bit different.

Assuming these are real, I rank this set well above a printer plate as far as 1/1 cards go. My reasoning is that plates are randomly packed out and finding one (although finding all 4 of one card can be near impossible) is relatively easy, especially with eBay. This set, before it was broken up, required someone to quickly assemble it, return it to Donruss and was then presumably stamped and returned as a set. It was a good possibility that these cards might never hit the market as a set, let alone as singles. Finding a single of the player you collect is a big score in what might otherwise have been a lost set.

Mine are still making there way to me, but as I said before, I would not be keen paying close to $100 for a fake.

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
I took a group pic of my 3 auto 1/1's (left) with my 2 new Challenge 1/1's (right). They look legit, as do the "Challenge" stamp on the fronts.
Challenge Backs 1.jpgChallenge Up Close.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts