Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Confirmed: Roy Halladay Dies in Plane Accident

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Halladay's wife said she tried to stop him from buying the plane because she knew he'd fly dangerously but he went against her wishes. He said that flying fast and low to the water felt like flying a fighter jet.

I feel horrible for his family. You can't fly like a reckless fool when you have a wife and kids.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom

Why?

For being honest? I didn’t read anything other than the headline, but if that’s basically all they said then what’s the problem?

Yes, I feel terrible for Roy’s family and friends, but at the end of the day if he was flying recklessly he did in fact get what he deserved.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. If he chose to tempt fate, which by most accounts he did, he paid the ultimate price for it.

We need to stop coddling people and beating around the bush and start telling the truth about these things. Roy Halladay, Oscar Taveras, Jose Fernandez, Josh Han****, Tommy Hanson, those guys were morons who killed themselves doing stupid thing. They’re not tragedies.

Tragedies are guys like Roberto Clemente and Darryl Kile.

Sometimes the truth hurts. But nobody should ever feel bad for telling it.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
Why?

For being honest? I didn’t read anything other than the headline, but if that’s basically all they said then what’s the problem?

Yes, I feel terrible for Roy’s family and friends, but at the end of the day if he was flying recklessly he did in fact get what he deserved.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. If he chose to tempt fate, which by most accounts he did, he paid the ultimate price for it.

We need to stop coddling people and beating around the bush and start telling the truth about these things. Roy Halladay, Oscar Taveras, Jose Fernandez, Josh Han****, Tommy Hanson, those guys were morons who killed themselves doing stupid thing. They’re not tragedies.

I agree that people should be able to speak freely, but these two should have shown some damn respect. Oscar Taveras died in a car accident from being intoxicated. Jose Fernandez was cocaine, Josh Han**** was substance abuse, Hanson was cocaine, but lumping Halladay in the same category is incorrect. There was no mayday call to the tower. What if flew erratic due to a medical emergency? Before the facts come out, these two morons decide to form their own fatalistic opinions. What if they went up in a commercial plane and it crashed? Did they get what "they deserved"? Plenty of folks fly private planes as well and sometimes things go wrong mechanically. The moral of the story is this: show some god damn compassion for the departed, regardless of their past.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I agree that people should be able to speak freely, but these two should have shown some damn respect. Oscar Taveras died in a car accident from being intoxicated. Jose Fernandez was cocaine, Josh Han**** was substance abuse, Hanson was cocaine, but lumping Halladay in the same category is incorrect. There was no mayday call to the tower. What if flew erratic due to a medical emergency? Before the facts come out, these two morons decide to form their own fatalistic opinions. What if they went up in a commercial plane and it crashed? Did they get what "they deserved"? Plenty of folks fly private planes as well and sometimes things go wrong mechanically. The moral of the story is this: show some god damn compassion for the departed, regardless of their past.

There are reports that Halladay had been flying recklessly in the area for days. If that is true, lumping him in with those guys is absolutely appropriate.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Why?

There is a time and place for using incidents like this, Oscar Taveras, Jose Fernandez, etc. as an example for a learning moment for others. That time and place is not before the man is even buried and broadcast on a national radio show. You can teach without being an *******. Their intent wasn't to bring light to the situation and teach. They were just trying to be inflammatory and succeeded. I have no issue with putting the truth out there but the message is lost when it is portrayed in the manner they delivered it.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
There is a time and place for using incidents like this, Oscar Taveras, Jose Fernandez, etc. as an example for a learning moment for others. That time and place is not before the man is even buried and broadcast on a national radio show. You can teach without being an *******. Their intent wasn't to bring light to the situation and teach. They were just trying to be inflammatory and succeeded. I have no issue with putting the truth out there but the message is lost when it is portrayed in the manner they delivered it.

It got us talking about it though, didn’t it?

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
If Jose Fernandez had survived, he would have been charged with 2 counts of dui manslaughter. But since he also died everyone was boo hoo hooing and immortalizing him as such a great person with all the sleeve patches and so on. Just made me sick! He caused the death of 2 other people!!! I feel for his girlfriend and her child. NOT HIM!

Jjoey52

Feb 12, 2017
I do not have a problem with what the 2 said, but I think they should have waited for a better time to say it. Emotions are too raw right now, also I am sure the FAA will report on it when they have all the facts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
There are reports that Halladay had been flying recklessly in the area for days. If that is true, lumping him in with those guys is absolutely appropriate.

It’s very likely, with our current video and eye witness evidence, that Halladay caused his own death by being reckless.

We can and should discuss this but these radio jocks were gloating and sensationalizing it. There’s a massive difference and it shows a lack of class or wit on the part of these two.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
The FAA's initial report is due next week, but it might take up to a year for the full report.

NTSB but who's counting! ;) Probably won't know too much in the prelim report unless the data recorders show something obvious but I expect the report in a year to be much more informative because of the time to do detailed analysis of the data and roy's toxicology and coroner info.

as for the radio jocks, may they go to ****. I think they are just trying to make a name for themselves by saying what they say.

Members online