Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Confirmed: Roy Halladay Dies in Plane Accident

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I was not familiar with that aircraft type, but it seems similar and reminded me of a former coworker of mine who died just this year at age 48, right before the 4th of July. He was a pilot and was killed in an ultralight crash. This guy was an absolute workhorse and did insane amounts of overtime when I was his supervisor. I asked him one time about taking some time off, which he rarely did. He was planning to get his house and some other toys paid off and then was planning to start taking more time off to enjoy his flying skills. Sadly, his death came only about a year or so after our conversation.

This kind of sudden passing obviously always catches you so much more off guard than when the elder retirees pass. Sad day for Halladay's family and fans.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Heard this on the radio from a caller today.

Guy had a perfect game ball and wanted to add Roy at the hotel.

He missed him and was told to come back at 830 am the next day and look for a guy dressed to the nines as that's how Roy goes to Church.

So guy comes back and Roy comes out sharply dressed and the guy asks for his auto to which Roy replied "after I get some coffee"

After Roy was done, he came to the guy and checked the ball out and signed it as well offered to buy the guy a croissant.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
what a nice man and player.

Halladay was one of those rare dominant players that even fans of the other team couldn't find a reason to dislike. That says something about a man.

RIP to a good person and hope the family finds peace

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
He was part of the greatest game I've ever seen pitched. 2011 NLDS Game 5 between Doc and his buddy Carp was amazing. Triple by Furcal and a double by Skippy and then nothing but zeros. As a Cards fan I was so happy that the Cards won but you almost had to feel bad for Doc taking the loss.

Thoughts and prayers for his family. 40 is way too young. I don't think anyone ever had a bad thing to say about him. As Lance said he was one of those dominant guys that beat you and you just took it in stride because he was so humble about it.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
RIP to a great pitcher and even better guy.

I only met him once briefly but I know tons of folks who had a lot of interaction with him and never heard a bad word about him. He had a brief period of "No Autos" late in his career but still did tons of charity camps and the like.

Last month, I finally had to get rid of my way-too-worn out "Doctober" t-shirt from '10. :lol:

And he was also A LOT bigger, size wise, in person. Like pro wrestler huge...

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
He was part of the greatest game I've ever seen pitched. 2011 NLDS Game 5 between Doc and his buddy Carp was amazing. Triple by Furcal and a double by Skippy and then nothing but zeros. As a Cards fan I was so happy that the Cards won but you almost had to feel bad for Doc taking the loss.

Thoughts and prayers for his family. 40 is way too young. I don't think anyone ever had a bad thing to say about him. As Lance said he was one of those dominant guys that beat you and you just took it in stride because he was so humble about it.

This is basically what I came here tonpost as well.

Great game between two former teammates and friends.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
My wife and I had our wedding reception on October 7th 2011.

Roy Halladay faced Chris Carpenter in Game 5 of the NLDS that night.

It was one of the greatest baseball games I’ve ever watched. Yeah, it was our wedding reception, but most of the people at the party stayed inside watching the baseball game.

It was one of the greatest pitching duals in postseason history.

Chris Carpenter and the Cardinals prevailed that night, and an FCB member mailed me a ticket from the game. Lance I believe. Thank you sir.

Halladay and Carpenter were former teammates with the Blue Jays, and close friends. I’ll always remember that game.

http://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/17352/carpenter-outduels-halladay-in-classic

2a86415521ac69b97c1cb241b34a7131.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
For some reason, this one hit me harder than most have. Maybe its because this is probably the first major player from my time that has passed away. Sure, there were guys like Ventura and Fernandez, but this is Doc Halladay. I always enjoyed watching him pitch and remember reading about his outstanding work ethic and preparation that he put into his game. Plus, he just seemed like a regular guy who just happened to be a great pitcher. Definitely way too soon for him to go.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Too bad, I'm reading that he was hot dogging in his plane and if he had just been flying normal this would not have happened.

As someone who knows nothing about those planes, my first inclination about them is that most pilots would use them to do ignorant things with. So it wouldn’t surprise me. He was basically flying a sardine can with wings that’s designed to do flippity floppity sh*t with.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Too bad, I'm reading that he was hot dogging in his plane and if he had just been flying normal this would not have happened.

He probably wasn't hot-dogging it. It's an amphibious plane so I can imagine he's flying low to the water in preparation for landing it or doing touch-and-go maneuvers.

It might help if the plane was a solid performer. A test pilot died in that same model of plane a few months ago so who knows if there is some mechanical issue that hasn't been identified and fixed by the manufacturer.

Members online