User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Confirmed: Roy Halladay Dies in Plane Accident

tigger0007
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't John Denver also died...in an airplane crash......flying by himself. Best regards, David
    Losted in Space, on Gilligian's island without a boat, can't get back into Narnia, struck in a time machine!

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WizardofOz1982 View Post
    He was part of the greatest game I've ever seen pitched. 2011 NLDS Game 5 between Doc and his buddy Carp was amazing. Triple by Furcal and a double by Skippy and then nothing but zeros. As a Cards fan I was so happy that the Cards won but you almost had to feel bad for Doc taking the loss.

Thoughts and prayers for his family. 40 is way too young. I don't think anyone ever had a bad thing to say about him. As Lance said he was one of those dominant guys that beat you and you just took it in stride because he was so humble about it.
    This is basically what I came here tonpost as well.

Great game between two former teammates and friends.

Resident Yadier Molina, and Pro Wrestling super fan.

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I had our wedding reception on October 7th 2011.

Roy Halladay faced Chris Carpenter in Game 5 of the NLDS that night.

It was one of the greatest baseball games Iíve ever watched. Yeah, it was our wedding reception, but most of the people at the party stayed inside watching the baseball game.

It was one of the greatest pitching duals in postseason history.

Chris Carpenter and the Cardinals prevailed that night, and an FCB member mailed me a ticket from the game. Lance I believe. Thank you sir.

Halladay and Carpenter were former teammates with the Blue Jays, and close friends. Iíll always remember that game.

http://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/p...day-in-classic

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sad story - he will not be able to see his HOF induction ceremony

zc3009
    Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For some reason, this one hit me harder than most have. Maybe its because this is probably the first major player from my time that has passed away. Sure, there were guys like Ventura and Fernandez, but this is Doc Halladay. I always enjoyed watching him pitch and remember reading about his outstanding work ethic and preparation that he put into his game. Plus, he just seemed like a regular guy who just happened to be a great pitcher. Definitely way too soon for him to go.
    [CENTER]Signed Allen and Ginter Collector

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know that Halladay biked to Camp every morning from his Tampa home.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	23244095_1519304951491618_1657486186143245765_n.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	74402
    Don't forget to use the FCB Link when buying on eBay!

moxacaine
     moxacaine
    Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too bad, I'm reading that he was hot dogging in his plane and if he had just been flying normal this would not have happened.

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moxacaine View Post
    Too bad, I'm reading that he was hot dogging in his plane and if he had just been flying normal this would not have happened.
    As someone who knows nothing about those planes, my first inclination about them is that most pilots would use them to do ignorant things with. So it wouldnít surprise me. He was basically flying a sardine can with wings thatís designed to do flippity floppity sh*t with.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moxacaine View Post
    He probably wasn't hot-dogging it. It's an amphibious plane so I can imagine he's flying low to the water in preparation for landing it or doing touch-and-go maneuvers.

It might help if the plane was a solid performer. A test pilot died in that same model of plane a few months ago so who knows if there is some mechanical issue that hasn't been identified and fixed by the manufacturer.

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Video of the accident.

Strong language.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Halladay's wife said she tried to stop him from buying the plane because she knew he'd fly dangerously but he went against her wishes. He said that flying fast and low to the water felt like flying a fighter jet.

I feel horrible for his family. You can't fly like a reckless fool when you have a wife and kids.
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://nypost.com/2017/11/08/boston-...t-he-deserved/

Well, these two ass hats can go f-off.
    R.I.P. Harmon Clayton Killebrew June 29, 1936-May 17, 2011 You will surely be missed!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbone17 View Post

I hope they both get fired. They're Boston sportswriters though so they'll probably win an award for it.
    I PC Jeff Frye and Ozzie Smith. Working on 2017 A&G and Donruss Optic currently
    https://jefffryecollection.wordpress.com - My collection website with galleries and want lists

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbone17 View Post

Why?

For being honest? I didnít read anything other than the headline, but if thatís basically all they said then whatís the problem?

Yes, I feel terrible for Royís family and friends, but at the end of the day if he was flying recklessly he did in fact get what he deserved.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. If he chose to tempt fate, which by most accounts he did, he paid the ultimate price for it.

We need to stop coddling people and beating around the bush and start telling the truth about these things. Roy Halladay, Oscar Taveras, Jose Fernandez, Josh Han****, Tommy Hanson, those guys were morons who killed themselves doing stupid thing. Theyíre not tragedies.

Tragedies are guys like Roberto Clemente and Darryl Kile.

Sometimes the truth hurts. But nobody should ever feel bad for telling it.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
    Why?

For being honest? I didn’t read anything other than the headline, but if that’s basically all they said then what’s the problem?

Yes, I feel terrible for Roy’s family and friends, but at the end of the day if he was flying recklessly he did in fact get what he deserved.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. If he chose to tempt fate, which by most accounts he did, he paid the ultimate price for it.

We need to stop coddling people and beating around the bush and start telling the truth about these things. Roy Halladay, Oscar Taveras, Jose Fernandez, Josh Han****, Tommy Hanson, those guys were morons who killed themselves doing stupid thing. They’re not tragedies.

Tragedies are guys like Roberto Clemente and Darryl Kile.

Sometimes the truth hurts. But nobody should ever feel bad for telling it.
    I agree that people should be able to speak freely, but these two should have shown some damn respect. Oscar Taveras died in a car accident from being intoxicated. Jose Fernandez was cocaine, Josh Han**** was substance abuse, Hanson was cocaine, but lumping Halladay in the same category is incorrect. There was no mayday call to the tower. What if flew erratic due to a medical emergency? Before the facts come out, these two morons decide to form their own fatalistic opinions. What if they went up in a commercial plane and it crashed? Did they get what "they deserved"? Plenty of folks fly private planes as well and sometimes things go wrong mechanically. The moral of the story is this: show some god damn compassion for the departed, regardless of their past.
    R.I.P. Harmon Clayton Killebrew June 29, 1936-May 17, 2011 You will surely be missed!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast