Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2018 Top 100 Prospects

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
After much introspection, here's the final product. I started with more than 160 names and needless to say, it's been a blast. I hope this post generates plenty of discussion and interest. Fun fact: it's my first ever attempt at this, so be gentle :oops: As always, this list is comprised of players that haven't exceeded 130 at bats or 50.0 innings pitched. In terms of consideration several factors went into play when organizing this list. In no particular order: ceiling, floor, current production, sabermetrics and organizational need. Trust me, there were plenty of close calls. Players such as Sandy Alcantara, Dillon Tate, Tyler Beede, Brett Phillips, Max Fried, Sam Travis, Adbert Alzolay, Myles Straw, Tyler Mahle, Braxton Garrett, Beau Burrows, Daz Cameron, Monte Harrison, Alex Kirilloff, Jo Jo Romero, Michel Baez, Cal Quantrill, Jesus Sanchez, Jake Bauers, Alex Faedo and Erick Fedde were all inches away from making it. The first 50 weren't hard to place at all, but after that, it was challenging. The moral of the story is this: go with your gut.

Without further blabbering from me, DO YOUR WORST!

2018 Top 100 Prospects

1. Ronald Acuna, OF (ATL)
2. Eloy Jimenez, OF (CWS)
3. Vladimir Guerrero Jr., 3B (TOR)
4. Victor Robles, OF (WSH)
5. Gleyber Torres, 3B (NYY)
6. Michael Kopech, RHP (CWS)
7. Nick Senzel, 3B (CIN)
8. Francisco Mejia, C/3B (CLE)
9. Brendan Rodgers, SS (COL)
10. Kyle Tucker, OF (HOU)
11. Walker Buehler, RHP (LAD)
12. Brent Honeywell, RHP (TB)
13. Fernando Tatis Jr., SS (SDP)
14. Bo Bichette, SS/2B (TOR)
15. A.J. Puk, LHP (OAK)
16. Luis Robert, OF (CWS)
17. Forrest Whitley, RHP (HOU)
18. Lewis Brinson, OF (MIL)
19. Willy Adames, SS (TB)
20. Triston McKenzie, RHP (CLE)
21. Royce Lewis, SS (MIN)
22. Mitch Keller, RHP (PIT)
23. Sixto Sanchez, RHP (PHI)
24. Michael Chavis, 3B (BOS)
25. Juan Soto, OF (WSH)
26. Alex Reyes, RHP (STL)
27. Chance Sisco, C (BAL)
28. Austin Hays, OF (BAL)
29. Alex Verdugo, OF (LAD)
30. Brendan McKay, 1B/LHP (TB)
31. Willie Calhoun, 2B/OF (TEX)
32. Matt Manning, RHP (DET)
33. Nick Gordon, SS/2B (MIN)
34. Mike Soroka, RHP (ATL)
35. Franklin Barreto, SS/2B (OAK)
36. Kyle Lewis, OF (SEA)
37. Franklin Perez, RHP (DET)
38. Estevan Florial, OF (NYY)
39. Hunter Greene, RHP/SS (CIN)
40. Alec Hansen, RHP (CWS)
41. Anthony Alford, OF (TOR)
42. Nate Pearson, RHP (TOR)
43. Yadier Alvarez, RHP (LAD)
44. Corbin Burnes, RHP (MIL)
45. Keston Hiura, 2B/OF (MIL)
46. Jay Groome, LHP (BOS)
47. Leody Taveras, OF (TEX)
48. MacKenzie Gore, LHP (SDP)
49. Shane Baz, RHP (PIT)
50. Jorge Mateo, SS (OAK)
51. Bryse Wilson, RHP (ATL)
52. Jack Flaherty, RHP (STL)
53. Scott Kingery, 2B (PHI)
54. Luiz Gohara, LHP (ATL)
55. Kolby Allard, LHP (ATL)
56. J.P. Crawford, SS (PHI)
57. Ryan McMahon, INF (COL)
58. Ian Anderson, RHP (ATL)
59. Justus Sheffield, LHP (NYY)
60. Austin Meadows, OF (PIT)
61. Mickey Moniak, OF (PHI)
62. Jon Duplantier, RHP (ARI)
63. Kyle Wright, RHP (ATL)
64. Taylor Trammell, OF (CIN)
65. Chance Adams, RHP (NYY)
66. Riley Pint, RHP (COL)
67. Pavin Smith, 1B (ARI)
68. Stephen Gonsalves, LHP (MIN)
69. Fernando Romero, RHP (MIN)
70. Jo Adell, OF (LAA)
71. Blake Rutherford, OF (CWS)
72. Austin Riley, 3B (ATL)
73. Carson Kelly, C (STL)
74. Kevin Maitan, INF
75. Jorge Alfaro, C (PHI)
76. Dane Dunning, RHP (CWS)
77. Carter Kieboom, SS (WSH)
78. Miguel Andujar, 3B (NYY)
79. Heliot Ramos, OF (SFG)
80. J.B. Bukauskas, RHP (HOU)
81. Dylan Cease, RHP (CWS)
82. Dustin Fowler, OF (OAK)
83. Adam Haseley, OF (PHI)
84. Jorge Guzman, RHP (NYY)
85. Albert Abreu, RHP (NYY)
86. James Kaprielian, RHP (OAK)
87. Luis Urias, INF (SDP)
88. Cole Ragans, LHP (TEX)
89. Wander Javier, SS (MIN)
90. Jesus Luzardo, LHP (OAK)
91. Jordan Hicks, RHP (STL)
92. Brian Anderson, 3B (MIA)
93. Jahmai Jones, OF (LAA)
94. Freddy Peralta, RHP (MIL)
95. Keibert Ruiz, C (LAD)
96. Jeren Kendall, OF (LAD)
97. Nolan Jones, 3B (CLE)
98. Nicky Lopez, SS (KCR)
99. Nick Pratto, 1B (KCR)
100. Tyler O’Neill, OF (STL)

Breakdown per team

ARI - 2
ATL - 8
BAL - 2
BOS - 2
CHC - 0
CWS - 7
CIN - 3
CLE - 3
COL - 3
DET - 2
HOU - 3
KCR - 2
LAA - 2
LAD - 5
MIA - 1
MIL - 4
MIN - 5
NYM - 0
NYY - 7
OAK - 6
PHI - 6
PIT - 3
SDP - 3
SFG - 1
SEA - 1
STL - 5
TB - 3
TEX - 3
TOR - 4
WSH - 3

FREE AGENT- 1

Last edited:

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
I'll just make my one most obvious observation - you're quite a bit higher on Calhoun than I would've been. Great bat yes, but he's absolutely lost in the field. Can't play 2B, and projected to be average at best in LF.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
I'll just make my one most obvious observation - you're quite a bit higher on Calhoun than I would've been. Great bat yes, but he's absolutely lost in the field. Can't play 2B, and projected to be average at best in LF.

Thanks for the feedback, J.P.! The only reason I placed Calhoun there is strictly for his bat. I had him in the back end at first, but having a .272 ISO even in the hitter friendly PCL with a high average and a low K total is no joke. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Rangers shove him in the outfield full time and live with his sub par defense.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
My overall review......I love it! Especially your top 20 (although I wouldn't have ranked Puk so high)

The biggest surprises to me are how high you've ranked Puk, Chavis, Hays, Calhoun & Wilson, although in most of their cases I do not disagree, they are just ranked higher than I expect other top 100 lists to have them. I'm also high on Chavis & Wilson and would love to see them ranked as high on other lists.

I think O'Neill is ranked a little low but I expect most scouts to rank him among the 80-100 range. Sure, his stock dropped as he made less contact & the walk rate dipped since his breakout 2016 season but if he can hit just .270 with a .340 OBP & that 30+ HR power in the future, he'll be a potential All-Star. So I still think he's deserving of a 40-60 range ranking but most scouts would disagree.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
My overall review......I love it! Especially your top 20 (although I wouldn't have ranked Puk so high)

The biggest surprises to me are how high you've ranked Puk, Chavis, Hays, Calhoun & Wilson, although in most of their cases I do not disagree, they are just ranked higher than I expect other top 100 lists to have them. I'm also high on Chavis & Wilson and would love to see them ranked as high on other lists.

I think O'Neill is ranked a little low but I expect most scouts to rank him among the 80-100 range. Sure, his stock dropped as he made less contact & the walk rate dipped since his breakout 2016 season but if he can hit just .270 with a .340 OBP & that 30+ HR power in the future, he'll be a potential All-Star. So I still think he's deserving of a 40-60 range ranking but most scouts would disagree.

Thanks man! Puk is ranked that high because he exceeded every expectation, including his ungodly K per 9 ratio. For his size, Puk has a good downward plane on the heater with excellent life. I'd argue he's the best left handed pitching prospect in the business, although wait until Mackenzie Gore gets going.

Chavis finally tapped into the power consistently and it appears his free swinging days are over. He's come such a long way since 2014.

Hays simply earned his keep. This is a guy who came out of no where with a .262 ISO and now he has a chance to be their everyday right fielder. That's no small task and it's worthy of recognition.

I'm calling it right here. Give me Wilson over every pitching prospect the Braves have in the long term. High ground ball rate, strikeout stuff, better control with his heat, but the only thing he has to work on is command of his secondary offerings.

I'm a big O'Neill fan, but as you mentioned, that boy doesn't get cheated. If he can work on his pitch recognition and cut down on the whiffs, he can be really good. I just question his path to the show. You have Grichuk, Pham, Piscotty, Martinez, Bader, Sierra, so there's plenty of folks for 4 spots essentially. I think another year in Triple A will suit him well!

Members online