Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

New pickup with a really interesting (and little known) story about Yogi Berra

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Yogi Berra is one of the best known players in baseball history. An 18-time All-Star who holds the record with 10 WS titles; for decades after his career he was known for his wisdom and wit as much as for his baseball.

A little known story about Berra happened back in 1945. Berra, who was in the Navy during WWII and saw time on D-Day was stationed in Connecticut wanted to play ball. The problem was that the semi-pro league did not allow professional baseball players to play, and Berra was in the Yankees farm system.

To get around the issue, Berra signed up with the Cranston Firesides under a pseudonym: "Casuno." Over time of course, WWII ended, and Berra went on to be one of the greatest catchers of all time, but for a period of time there was a guy named "Casuno" who was hitting bombs in the independent league.

There is very little out there (memorabilia-wise) tied to this interesting story, but I was able to pick up this lot of programs from when Berra was playing for the Cranston Firesafes.

Here is a link to an article with more info:
http://www.newenglandhistoricalsoci...-new-england-sometimes-under-an-assumed-name/

Attachments

• 1945 Cranston Firesafes Yogi Berra Programs.jpg
    1945 Cranston Firesafes Yogi Berra Programs.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 1945 Cranston Firesafes Yogi Berra Programs 2.jpg
    1945 Cranston Firesafes Yogi Berra Programs 2.jpg
    547.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 1945 Cranston Firesafes Yogi Berra Programs 3.jpg
    1945 Cranston Firesafes Yogi Berra Programs 3.jpg
    578.6 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Berra was awesome. I love that he liked the game so much he'd play under a false name, though I guess the money helped. And I love that, not too long ago, people could get away with it. And I have to see the box scores on his 23-RBI doubleheader.

forgerelli

Apr 4, 2013
Love it! It's pretty rare that I learn something like this from a baseball card forum.

Scott F

Members online