Please don't adblock plus me bro

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Game on! Otani open to sign in The MLB

Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will be shocked if any team lets him do both. Don’t get me wrong, I would love to see it and think it’d be great for the game but people lose their minds and go off about the DH for weeks every time a pitcher gets injured running the bases or hitting. He’d probably get a chance at the other side if whatever the team’s preference is doesn’t work out after some time

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board
    SCREW PHOTOBUCKET
    Jeff Cirillo Spread Sheet ||
    Hall of Unending Gratitude: dazed, magicpapa, uniquebaseballcards, and the vigilant eye of tonsofcommons

aarne13
     Aarne13
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewer Andy View Post
    I will be shocked if any team lets him do both. Don’t get me wrong, I would love to see it and think it’d be great for the game but people lose their minds and go off about the DH for weeks every time a pitcher gets injured running the bases or hitting. He’d probably get a chance at the other side if whatever the team’s preference is doesn’t work out after some time

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board
    If that is Ohtani’s goal he will sign with a team that will let him do both. But that is only a guess-Ohtani has been pretty quiet on what he actually wants.
    Blue Jays Collection

Collecting- Marcus Knecht, John Olerud, certified Jays autos
    Also looking for 2007 Bowman Chrome Shane Benson Gold Refractors Currently have 25/50.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really don't know the answer to this one, but don't teams have to spend more $ just for the shot at signing these foreign players, then they have to pay the player as well? With a success rate so low, it hardly seems worth it, but I guess when you are talking in billions, maybe it's chump change to take the risk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let the crazy hype begin - every team will be interested, but where will he land? Hope he lands in Philly

Kyouk20
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
    I really don't know the answer to this one, but don't teams have to spend more $ just for the shot at signing these foreign players, then they have to pay the player as well? With a success rate so low, it hardly seems worth it, but I guess when you are talking in billions, maybe it's chump change to take the risk.
    I believe that's called the posting fee, that goes to his team in Japan as their compensation. I think $20 million is the maximum they can ask for. Then the MLB team has 30 days, or some window of time, to work a deal with otani.

On another note, I hate the DH and I think pitchers need to be total players. I doubt it happens but I hope this kid sparks a revolution and we see more "two way" baseball players.

Senior Member death2redemptions's Avatar
     ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Highly doubt any team lets him do both.

I can't even remember the last starting pitcher in major league baseball who pitched every 5th day and not only hit every other day but held a defensive position on the field (in which he would have to unless he played on an AL team as the DH).
    Look, I'm gonna be honest with you. I really need a job. And I will take any position, as long as it doesn't involve having sex with old ladies for money or bear traps. Those are my two bugaboos. While mulling over my resume feel free to check out my baseball card collection, it's small and simple, kinda like me - >>>>> http://s822.photobucket.com/user/JDf...ds%20n%20stuff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My guess is that he signs with an AL team if he really wants to hit on his non-pitching days. I don't see any NL team letting him play the field regularly. There's just too much risk of injury.
    I PC Jeff Frye and Ozzie Smith. Working on 2017 A&G and Donruss Optic currently
    https://jefffryecollection.wordpress.com - My collection website with galleries and want lists

ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bstanwood View Post
    On another note, I hate the DH and I think pitchers need to be total players. I doubt it happens but I hope this kid sparks a revolution and we see more "two way" baseball players.
    I hear this often when the conversation comes up but I believe pitchers are already "total players" in the sense that they pitch and field, just as position players hit and field. If a pitcher were to hit, they would be doing more than position players...hitting, fielding *and* pitching.

The biggest difference is that pitchers play only once or twice a week while position players generally play everyday. I'm fine with this because there is more conditioning involved with pitching, as much more energy is exerted in a game than with a position players. A position player has 4 or 5 at-bats in a game while a pitcher has to throw 90-100 pitches.

But back onto the topic of the DH, I see pros and cons for it and against it. Personally, I hate having an automatic out in the lineup with the pitcher hitting 9th but at the same time I like that it inserts more strategy into the game for the manager. Honestly, I wouldn't put up a big fuss if the DH role was brought to the NL but it's not like I'm rooting for it either. If they are going to change anything in this game, it's robotic umpires I'll be rooting for!
    Look, I'm gonna be honest with you. I really need a job. And I will take any position, as long as it doesn't involve having sex with old ladies for money or bear traps. Those are my two bugaboos. While mulling over my resume feel free to check out my baseball card collection, it's small and simple, kinda like me - >>>>> http://s822.photobucket.com/user/JDf...ds%20n%20stuff

Kyouk20
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It just makes a pitcher that hits well more valuable. I also don't like that pitchers have no accountability in some situations. Bean balls. If I were a pitcher and one of my guys got hit, I'd want to drill that pitcher.

Sent from my XT1585 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's coming to Minnesota. You heard it here first
    Collecting the following!
    Baseball: Minnesota Twins, Chris Herrmann
    Hockey: Minnesota Wild, Minnesota North Stars
    Link to my website with all wants and haves: http://hollywood42scards.webs.com/

aarne13
     Aarne13
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like there is progress in negotiations between the MLB-MLBPA-NPL for a new CBA. The deadline to hammer out a deal is 8PM EST. If all goes well Ohtani could be in play this week.
    Blue Jays Collection

Collecting- Marcus Knecht, John Olerud, certified Jays autos
    Also looking for 2007 Bowman Chrome Shane Benson Gold Refractors Currently have 25/50.

cardboardconglomerate
     jaypers413
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looks like an agreement has been reached.

Joel Sherman‏ @Joelsherman1
    Source: Tentative agreement reached among NPB, MLB, Players Association on posting system to cover this offseason, then 3-yr deal moving forward. going to be 10 days until owners ratify, earliest Ohtani posted next Friday. MLB owners must ratify next Friday, so if that happens Ohtani likely to be posted next Fri or Saturday.
    J.P.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so what does it mean? This offseason is the $20M posting fee system and starting next hot stove, the NPB team who loses a player to MLB doesn't get a posting fee but rather a money payment determined as a percentage of that player's first three MLB years salary?

cardboardconglomerate
     jaypers413
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    All interested teams must fill out a questionnaire, courtesy of Ohtani's agent:

https://nypost.com/2017/11/25/shohei...-written-quiz/
    J.P.

ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn, Rangers can offer as much as $5.35 million to Ohtani

I'm assuming they have this much because they didn't sign many international prospects?

Yanks have a few million to spend and with their history of signing many other Japanese players, I'm still counting them as one of the top front runners.
    Last edited by death2redemptions; 11-25-2017 at 09:24 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast