Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Game on! Otani open to sign in The MLB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Although I thoroughly enjoy the humor won't his initial contract be relatively small due to the international signing rules??

I was wondering how it work. Does anyone know if he would be arbitration eligible right away in year 2?? If he meets the 5war projection I guess it could get high at that point.. but nobody would care if they get a 5war player out of it. :p

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I was wondering how it work. Does anyone know if he would be arbitration eligible right away in year 2?? If he meets the 5war projection I guess it could get high at that point.. but nobody would care if they get a 5war player out of it. :p

I'm sure someone can give more insight to this but my limited knowledge is that because he is under 25 he is limited to the normal international signing rules, meaning a team can only spend what they have in there international pool, which for most teams sound like it was 3 or 5 mil, whatever it was, if he waits until he's 25 or more he is a straight up free agent. That's why guys like Matsuzaka years back and Yuli Gurriel much more recently got huge deals out of the gate. Sounds like Ohtani knows his endorsement deals will more than makeup what he might lose in an initial contract so he's coming anyway.

On a separate note, I love the fact this guy literally could pick any of the 27 teams that showed interest and he wants a smaller team he can help develop into a winner than just signing with a team that's already big time. Even if he signs with a 'better' team the fact he crossed off so many big markets tells me he loves the game and really wants to do something besides pick up a check.

aarne13

Oct 15, 2008
The Permian Basin
Ohtani gave up an easy $100MM+ to come over a couple years early. As an IFA he will be under team control for 5-6yrs(iirc). After that he should cash in. Dude just wants to play ball. He is very low key, not on the social scene like other “rock-star” Japanese players. He apparently stayed at the team complex to focus on baseball.

The Yankees sports/blog sphere is still pouting. Oh why oh why doesn’t he want to play for us? There must be something wrong with him. No, he just doesn’t want to play in NY.

aarne13

Oct 15, 2008
The Permian Basin
Mariners trade Jacob Pearson to the Twins for 1MM on IFA cap space ��

Correction #angels ->Pearson

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts