Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Game on! Otani open to sign in The MLB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
Highly doubt any team lets him do both.

I can't even remember the last starting pitcher in major league baseball who pitched every 5th day and not only hit every other day but held a defensive position on the field (in which he would have to unless he played on an AL team as the DH).

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
My guess is that he signs with an AL team if he really wants to hit on his non-pitching days. I don't see any NL team letting him play the field regularly. There's just too much risk of injury.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
On another note, I hate the DH and I think pitchers need to be total players. I doubt it happens but I hope this kid sparks a revolution and we see more "two way" baseball players.

I hear this often when the conversation comes up but I believe pitchers are already "total players" in the sense that they pitch and field, just as position players hit and field. If a pitcher were to hit, they would be doing more than position players...hitting, fielding *and* pitching.

The biggest difference is that pitchers play only once or twice a week while position players generally play everyday. I'm fine with this because there is more conditioning involved with pitching, as much more energy is exerted in a game than with a position players. A position player has 4 or 5 at-bats in a game while a pitcher has to throw 90-100 pitches.

But back onto the topic of the DH, I see pros and cons for it and against it. Personally, I hate having an automatic out in the lineup with the pitcher hitting 9th but at the same time I like that it inserts more strategy into the game for the manager. Honestly, I wouldn't put up a big fuss if the DH role was brought to the NL but it's not like I'm rooting for it either. If they are going to change anything in this game, it's robotic umpires I'll be rooting for! :D

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
It just makes a pitcher that hits well more valuable. I also don't like that pitchers have no accountability in some situations. Bean balls. If I were a pitcher and one of my guys got hit, I'd want to drill that pitcher.

Sent from my XT1585 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

aarne13

Oct 15, 2008
The Permian Basin
It sounds like there is progress in negotiations between the MLB-MLBPA-NPL for a new CBA. The deadline to hammer out a deal is 8PM EST. If all goes well Ohtani could be in play this week.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Looks like an agreement has been reached. :)

Joel Sherman‏ @Joelsherman1
Source: Tentative agreement reached among NPB, MLB, Players Association on posting system to cover this offseason, then 3-yr deal moving forward. going to be 10 days until owners ratify, earliest Ohtani posted next Friday. MLB owners must ratify next Friday, so if that happens Ohtani likely to be posted next Fri or Saturday.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
so what does it mean? This offseason is the $20M posting fee system and starting next hot stove, the NPB team who loses a player to MLB doesn't get a posting fee but rather a money payment determined as a percentage of that player's first three MLB years salary?

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
Damn, Rangers can offer as much as $5.35 million to Ohtani

I'm assuming they have this much because they didn't sign many international prospects?

Yanks have a few million to spend and with their history of signing many other Japanese players, I'm still counting them as one of the top front runners.

Last edited:

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
All 30 owners unanimously ratified the new posting agreement.

The deadline to sign him is three weeks from today.

Let the madness commence.

aarne13

Oct 15, 2008
The Permian Basin
Awwwwwww

Shohei Ohtani’s representatives told the Yankees that they will not be among the teams invited to make an in-person presentation. Brian Cashman said the news was “disappointing.”

forgerelli

Apr 4, 2013
He wants to play for a small market team on the west coast. IE: Not winning. Telling the Yankees to piss off is like throwing money away.

I was never that big on him anyway, I'm much more excited for Gleyber Torres and Clint Frazier playing full time.

Scott F

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Joel Sherman‏ @Joelsherman1
the #Mets also were told they are out on Ohtani, the Post has learned.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Sorry, [MENTION=2671]aarne13[/MENTION]. :(

Shi Davidi @ShiDavidi
#BlueJays did not make the cut on Shohei Ohtani.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Adam Berry‏@adamdberry
Source: Pirates did not make the short list to meet with Shohei Ohtani. They’re out.

Members online