Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Official FAKE AF Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Every single card cardmax1 sells:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/cardmax1/m.html?item=252918463964&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

All fake plates. The giveaway on many of them is how many of his "plates" have parts that were only done as foil stamping. Plus, plates from the 80's? No, not so much.

Also, I couldn't find it, but there was a blatant fake patch on COMC for quite a while. I thought it was a Rolen/Pujols, but I don't remember enough details to find it anywhere.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
Every single card cardmax1 sells:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/cardmax1/m.html?item=252918463964&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

All fake plates. The giveaway on many of them is how many of his "plates" have parts that were only done as foil stamping. Plus, plates from the 80's? No, not so much.

Also, I couldn't find it, but there was a blatant fake patch on COMC for quite a while. I thought it was a Rolen/Pujols, but I don't remember enough details to find it anywhere.

How do you think he is producing the plates?

Sent from my iPad using Freedom Card Board mobile app

forgerelli

Apr 4, 2013
Doesn't someone here work in a print shop? I'm sure with the right equipment, and willingness to be a scumbag, making fake plates is easy and lucrative. I'm sure he'd claim he bought them as a collection, or some nonsense about printer's scrap or whatnot.

Someone laid out exactly how it could be done fairly cheaply. I'll assume it was on this board because the members here are by far the most knowledgeable and helpful.

I bought a few fake plates before I knew what I was doing. This thread would have helped.

Scott F

Aumike1976

Aug 10, 2011
Oxford Alabama
So the thread on this ichiro pujols original that isn't original got me thinking.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-Bowma...=item59016f6681:g:4VkAAOSwySlaAgkH&rmvSB=true

How great would it be to keep an official thread on known fakes out there.

ITT, post the fakes you see. Can be an image, an ebay link, whatever.

Great Thread, I looked at all of the autos I have purchased from the sellers listed in this thread and I think one of them is questionable.

i actually found an old thread on the site that was about the same card. I didn't question it because of the hologram sticker and authentic stamp on the front of the card until now.

2014 74 Topps Cracker Jack Retro  Roger Clemens Auto.jpg

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Doesn't someone here work in a print shop? I'm sure with the right equipment, and willingness to be a scumbag, making fake plates is easy and lucrative. I'm sure he'd claim he bought them as a collection, or some nonsense about printer's scrap or whatnot.

Someone laid out exactly how it could be done fairly cheaply. I'll assume it was on this board because the members here are by far the most knowledgeable and helpful.

I bought a few fake plates before I knew what I was doing. This thread would have helped.

Scott F

Not familiar with the releases that these plates are from but from what I gather none were pack issued. Printing companies, post print production, archive plates for a certain amount of time. That way if it needs to go back to press, you can just use the same set of plates. Before what is known as direct to plate imaging, which these plates are from the time period before then, a plate maker would physically take film and expose the images onto the plates which was comparatively time consuming and costly process. These likely are real plates, that after archived for a period of time were tossed as scrap. If a person had access to the film, sure they could make sets of plates but printing companies inventory their plates and even the damaged or unused are accounted for. I also thought about the possibility that someone made digital files of these cards and did direct imaging plates but I looked closer at the listings. These plates are indeed produced from that time frame because you can see the image is from film and not a digital file. With film, each color in the 4-color process was stripped at a certain angle so that the dots did not lay on top of each other or create a visible distortion pattern.

Great Thread, I looked at all of the autos I have purchased from the sellers listed in this thread and I think one of them is questionable.

i actually found an old thread on the site that was about the same card. I didn't question it because of the hologram sticker and authentic stamp on the front of the card until now.

View attachment 74551

This one really confuses me, as he is not listed as an auto in 2004 Topps Cracker Jack, but does anyone know for sure if he was a subject? The authentic 'stamp' on the front is not embossed but actually printed. So while the auto does look off, it does seem consistent with the other 2004 Topps CJ auto releases.

Jeremya1um

Apr 21, 2017
DeLand, FL
On the Clemens, I had a Merkin Valdez auto I pull d from a Cracker Jack pack, and I want to say that the card was the mini size, it had the black certified autograph symbol printed on the front, but from what I remember the back was totally different with the sticker on the bottom and more of a congratulations message than an actual write up on the player.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
On the Clemens, I had a Merkin Valdez auto I pull d from a Cracker Jack pack, and I want to say that the card was the mini size, it had the black certified autograph symbol printed on the front, but from what I remember the back was totally different with the sticker on the bottom and more of a congratulations message than an actual write up on the player.

Clemens was pulled from the set. It's probably a preview type card that got leaked out the back door.

autocut

64c1ce1f15dd2960db23b8d5a6970f9b.jpg
6f22a97b2f294270adcfcbd69d57f2bc.jpg
3f916d77a3bfb428c67d9b48c7290942.jpg
6b1424ef1cfc0dbddadd3f8562820594.jpg

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Freedom Card Board mobile app