Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

GIANCARLO STANTON TRADED TO YANKEES FOR CASTRO/GUZMAN/DEVERS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
I'd have to disagree. Generally when you see "plus cash" attached to a trade you are assuming a few million...but $250 million is a huge amount for any club to take on. The fact that the Marlins are getting one top 100 prospect in return is pretty amazing, let alone two plus a pretty decent everyday player who can hit around .300. I agree that the proposal doesn't look sexy in regards to player return but when "plus cash" means $250 million, it makes much more sense.

The Cardinals & Red Sox could easily propose a better deal in terms of prospects but the question is, are they willing to take on over $200 million of that contract?

Regardless, I still don't see how this trade makes sense for the Giants. Their projected 2018 team payroll is already north of $180 million and picking up one player, even someone of Stanton's status, isn't going to make them a contender. The player return doesn't make much sense for the Marlins but I can certainly understand them wanting to offload that contract.

The crazy thing is the Cardinals could propose a better trade with two prospects they don't even care about all that much plus Kolten Wong/Jedd Gyorko/etc. and it would be quite a bit better than the Giants proposal.

Beede would probably be something like the 8th or 9th best pitching prospect if he were a Cardinal. I doubt he's in the top 100 anymore either. He was 89 before last season and he was pretty bad last season.
Shaw isn't great either. Lots of guys like him that already have major league track records are looking for work right now (the Matt Adams, Adam Lind, etc. crowd). He wouldn't even be in the Cards' top 20.

The deal doesn't make sense from the money perspective for the Giants and Stanton doesn't make them a contender. I really don't understand it at all. I get that Stanton wants to play on the west coast which limits what the Marlins can do but they can always trade away other players to drop 50 million in salary. It's going to suck for him if he ends up the only star on a team that makes the Padres look like stars around the field.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I saw an article earlier saying the Giants are willing to take on the full contract.

I want the Cardinals to land Stanton, but if the Giants were to actually do that, then that would be great too. Because it would cripple the Giants financially, which would be fantastic for me.

Such a stupid move by the Giants. They just don’t have the money now, or in the coming years.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
I saw an article earlier saying the Giants are willing to take on the full contract.

I want the Cardinals to land Stanton, but if the Giants were to actually do that, then that would be great too. Because it would cripple the Giants financially, which would be fantastic for me.

Such a stupid move by the Giants. They just don’t have the money now, or in the coming years.

Stantons greatest speech-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4krefTqlJg

MR GLASS!!!! :rolleyes:

really try to watch it imagining Jackson is Giancarlo 10 years from now.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma

The Giants are already crippled financially without Stanton's contract. I just don't understand it.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
I don’t get it either.

They’ll literally turn into the Marlins in a few years.

And Stanton won’t care, because he’ll still be getting paid, and he’ll be playing on the West coast.

The Marlins were better than the Giants last year and even with Stanton moving it wouldn't surprise me if the Marlins outperform the Giants over the next 2-3 years. Both teams are in serious need of a tear down and rebuild. It seems the Marlins are the only one of the two that realizes it though.

seitas

Aug 7, 2008
The Giants are already crippled financially without Stanton's contract. I just don't understand it.

The Giants have plenty of money. They are near the luxury tax threshold, but the suggestion that they are crippled financially is laughable. They just paid off their final stadium mortgage payment last december and are one of the few orgs to own their stadium without municipal supplements or tax/bond aid. They also just started their Mission Rock development that will develop the 20+ acres around the park and is expected to bring in hundreds of millions of dollars in additional revenue to the ownership group. The Giants have a poor farm system but are one of the most financially savvy organizations in pro sports.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
The Giants have plenty of money. They are near the luxury tax threshold, but the suggestion that they are crippled financially is laughable. They just paid off their final stadium mortgage payment last december and are one of the few orgs to own their stadium without municipal supplements or tax/bond aid. They also just started their Mission Rock development that will develop the 20+ acres around the park and is expected to bring in hundreds of millions of dollars in additional revenue to the ownership group. The Giants have a poor farm system but are one of the most financially savvy organizations in pro sports.

They've been over the luxury tax threshold the last two years which would put them in the 40% penalty bracket if they go over again next year. Adding Stanton, arbitration raises, and filling the other holes on their roster in a competitive manner would put them well over. They have 6 arb eligible players with a projected ~15 million in salary next year. Stanton is due 25 million next year. That puts them $10 million over the tax threshold without even attempting to fill any of their other holes. They could spend money on luxury tax payments, of course, but I don't imagine that is worthwhile when you still wouldn't be competitive. If they were at the top of the NL West with the Dodgers that's fine but they were 40 games back last year and Stanton plus MadBum plus healthy Cueto (unlikely) is about a 10 win bump over last year. They still finish in last place by a significant margin and get the joy of paying 40% penalty for their trouble.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
They've been over the luxury tax threshold the last two years which would put them in the 40% penalty bracket if they go over again next year. Adding Stanton, arbitration raises, and filling the other holes on their roster in a competitive manner would put them well over. They have 6 arb eligible players with a projected ~15 million in salary next year. Stanton is due 25 million next year. That puts them $10 million over the tax threshold without even attempting to fill any of their other holes. They could spend money on luxury tax payments, of course, but I don't imagine that is worthwhile when you still wouldn't be competitive. If they were at the top of the NL West with the Dodgers that's fine but they were 40 games back last year and Stanton plus MadBum plus healthy Cueto (unlikely) is about a 10 win bump over last year. They still finish in last place by a significant margin and get the joy of paying 40% penalty for their trouble.

I dont know. I really feel like their rotation just all had a combined off year. On paper they should have contended with the rotation. If they perform at 80% what they should have and add Stanton I think they can wild card it. But there's a lot of things that would have to happen for that to occur...

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
I dont know. I really feel like their rotation just all had a combined off year. On paper they should have contended with the rotation. If they perform at 80% what they should have and add Stanton I think they can wild card it. But there's a lot of things that would have to happen for that to occur...

You're not wrong regarding their rotation. Bumgarner, Cueto & Samardzija are a formidable 1-2-3 punch & once upon a time Matt Moore was a pretty decent pitcher (at least his first couple full seasons) but MadBum spent most of the season on the DL, Cueto freakishly had the worst season of his career & Shark simply ran into some bad luck (significantly better FIP than ERA due to a 200+ strikeout season & the lowest walk rate in the majors). Matt Moore probably doesn't have much to contribute anymore.

Problem is, their offense was an even bigger problem than their pitching, as they finished bottom 3 in most offensive categories (dead last in HR, OPS & slg%) & while Stanton would surely give them a big boost, they still have quiet a few holes that need to be filled.

Doesn't mean it's not possible. They were contenders just a year ago without a much different looking team. I just don't see it happening but maybe I feel that way cuz I'm a biased D-Backs fan.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Per Jon Morosi, the Marlins have agreed to the framework of a trade to both the Cards and Giants. It's all on Stanton now to decide.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Jon Morosi‏ @jonmorosi
Sources: #Marlins have agreed to general framework of Giancarlo Stanton trades with both #STLCards and #SFGiants; the deals are on hold, while Marlins wait for Stanton to inform them whether he’d accept either trade. For #Marlins, agreement on Stanton trade frameworks with #SFGiants and #STLCards was logical precondition for Stanton to meet officials from both clubs last week. If Stanton had met with #SFGiants and #STLCards without trade framework already in existence, #Marlins would have risked losing leverage if Stanton agreed to move forward with one and not the other. Worth saying again: Giancarlo Stanton is in control here, due to full no-trade. If he wants to wait on the #Dodgers, he can — even if that means saying no to everyone else this offseason and revisiting in July/August or next winter.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
I’m ready for this to be over with.

I'm curious what the Cardinals offer was.

I know he said that he wanted to play on the west coast but if he cared more about winning a championship you'd think he'd want to play for the Cardinals. Both ball clubs have a history of winning championships in the last 20 years but I think the Cardinals are currently in a better position to be perennial contenders within Stanton's remaining contract years (in fact, the Cardinals sort of already are, with or without Stanton. They missed out in 2016/2017 but still finished above .500).

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I really do hope something gets done early this week, whether Stanton goes to St. Louis or not.

The Cardinals usually try to get stuff done like this before their Winter Warmup event so they can draw more people in.

aarne13

Oct 15, 2008
The Permian Basin
#SFGiants' reported full player package offered for #Marlins' Giancarlo Stanton -- their top 4 prospects:
3B/SS Christian Arroyo
OF/1B Chris Shaw
RHP Tyler Beede
OF Heliot Ramos [MENTION=5630]SFGiants[/MENTION] Top 30:
atmlb.com/2mnybWf

Attachments

• 0D41F442-6E58-4446-B132-DB8E4DF45AFF.png
    0D41F442-6E58-4446-B132-DB8E4DF45AFF.png
    150.4 KB · Views: 13

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
#SFGiants' reported full player package offered for #Marlins' Giancarlo Stanton -- their top 4 prospects:
3B/SS Christian Arroyo
OF/1B Chris Shaw
RHP Tyler Beede
OF Heliot Ramos [MENTION=5630]SFGiants[/MENTION] Top 30:
atmlb.com/2mnybWf

Their top 4 makes the Giants the guys. If the $ is right, he's headed to the bay.

Members online

Latest posts