Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

GIANCARLO STANTON TRADED TO YANKEES FOR CASTRO/GUZMAN/DEVERS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Are you hoping that the Cardinals get him or are you against such a trade?

Or does it really not matter one way or another?

I'm hoping the Cards get him but if they don't I'm sure they'll pivot and grab Yelich, Ozuna, or Donaldson. They can't afford to stand pat again this year with the fanbase starting to get a bit unruly about always finishing as runner-up in big trades/FA signings.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I'm hoping the Cards get him but if they don't I'm sure they'll pivot and grab Yelich, Ozuna, or Donaldson. They can't afford to stand pat again this year with the fanbase starting to get a bit unruly about always finishing as runner-up in big trades/FA signings.

I’m really really really really p*ssed about Mozeliak saying they were done with the rotation after getting the lizard nobody yesterday.

P*ss on Mozeliak. He is worthless.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
I’m really really really really p*ssed about Mozeliak saying they were done with the rotation after getting the lizard nobody yesterday.

P*ss on Mozeliak. He is worthless.

They have about 9 pitchers for 5 spots. Rotation is my smallest concern with the Cardinals right now.

Throw in the fact that the best FAs in this pitching class are scary due to injury or decline but are still going to get paid a ton for a long time and I'm glad he's out of the pitching market.

Last edited:

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
They have about 9 pitchers for 5 spots. Rotation is my smallest concern with the Cardinals right now.

Alex Reyes?
-Unproven and coming off Tommy John.

Adam Wainwright?
-Done.

Michael Wacha?
-Shoulder could flare up at any moment.

Luke Weaver?
-Showed last year he wasn’t quite ready yet.

Jack Flaherty?
-More far off than Weaver is.

Lance Lynn?
-Gone, but a much better option than anyone I have mentioned so far. Why the Cardinals don’t want him I’ll never know. I mean, I know why, and I think it’s stupid. He speaks his mind and Mozeliak hates that. See what happened with Pham at the end of the season.

Carlos Martinez?
-Inconsistent and more worried about swag than being an ace.

Miles Mikolas?
-Yeah, who the f*ck is this guy? I’ll wait and see before making judgment.

I don’t think the pitching staff is in good shape at all.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Alex Reyes?
-Unproven and coming off Tommy John.

Adam Wainwright?
-Done.

Michael Wacha?
-Shoulder could flare up at any moment.

Luke Weaver?
-Showed last year he wasn’t quite ready yet.

Jack Flaherty?
-More far off than Weaver is.

Lance Lynn?
-Gone, but a much better option than anyone I have mentioned so far. Why the Cardinals don’t want him I’ll never know. I mean, I know why, and I think it’s stupid. He speaks his mind and Mozeliak hates that. See what happened with Pham at the end of the season.

Carlos Martinez?
-Inconsistent and more worried about swag than being an ace.

Miles Mikolas?
-Yeah, who the f*ck is this guy? I’ll wait and see before making judgment.

I don’t think the pitching staff is in good shape at all.

You and I will just have to agree to disagree.

Carlos Martines - Bonafide Ace. You can put his numbers up against anyone else in baseball (non-Kershaw All Time Great division), especially as a 26 year old. I don't care what he does on the mound or what his hair style is that day when he gets the results he gets.

Michael Wacha - You could say that about any pitcher's shoulder. He's been healthy most of the last three years and isn't any more an injury risk than any other pitcher right now.

Miles Mikolas - MLE's for his transition from Japan are very good. Who knows but I think he'll be fine. I'm not expecting the second coming of Yu Darvish but

Luke Weaver - You must have watched a different Luke Weaver than I did. Do the Cardinals have two? He was filthy in AAA then got better in the majors. He's ready.

Alex Reyes - Probably going to be a little late into the season due to TJS but he's already throwing and on track for Opening Day. It'll be a rusty year I'm sure but he'll be fine. When this is the 5th or 6th guy in your rotation then you're okay.

Jack Flaherty - There's a reason he's at the top of every team's trade want list from the Cardinals. I don't think he'll be a major league ace next year but he'll be more than serviceable as the 5th/6th option and could be quite a bit better.

Slots 7-9:
John Gant
Sandy Alcantara
Austin Gomber
- Most teams would be overjoyed if they had someone as solid as these three as their 7th, 8th, or 9th option.

Adam Wainwright - He wasn't even on my list. I agree he's done as a top starter. It was pretty obvious he was pitching through injury all of last year though and he still put up ~130 innings of league average pitching by fWAR. If he's the 5th guy/long man out of spring training then the Cards are in fine shape. The biggest issue with Wainwright was Matheny's lack of a spine to shut him down.

Lance Lynn - It has nothing to do with speaking his mind. He wants $20 million per year. No. I'd love to have him back but no.

Last edited:

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Wherever Lance Lynn signs he is going to get 100 million plus.

If Mike Leake can get over 80 million, Lance Lynn will get over 100.

Good for him. I hope he does. He won't earn it and the Cardinals shouldn't pay it while they're pitching rich. Mike Leake got that contract because he was the second best pitcher available in a weak class. It was Price and then a whole lot of yuck. Lynn is like the 4th or 5th best pitcher available this offseason.

Most predictions have him around $14 million a year by the way. At that price the Cardinals should be in on him.

Last edited:

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Good for him. I hope he does. He won't earn it and the Cardinals shouldn't pay it while they're pitching rich. Mike Leake got that contract because he was the second best pitcher available in a weak class. It was Price and then a whole lot of yuck. Lynn is like the 4th or 5th best pitcher available this offseason.

Most predictions have him around $14 million a year by the way. At that price the Cardinals should be in on him.

I think if the Cardinals has any intention on keeping him around they would’ve extended him before he hit free agency. He clearly didn’t want to go anywhere, and they clearly have no issues with extending players mid-contract. They didn’t it with Piscotty, Wong, Molina, and Wainwright I believe. And hell, they tried trading Stephen just a couple months after extending him.

Lance Lynn should have been extended. I have more confidence in him being a solid, dependable starter for an entire season than I do anyone on the Cardinals staff. Is he an ace? No. But in my mind neither is Carlos Martinez. The Cardinals don’t have an ace.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
There’s literally not one pitcher in the entire Cardinals organization that if I’m an opposing team I’m worried about facing. There’s literally nobody that scares the opposition.

That’s not good.

There are plenty of pitchers on the Cardinals who scare ME when they come into a game though. Waino, Wacha, Rosenthal (gone thankfully), Cecil.

The pitching for the Cardinals sucks man.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
I think if the Cardinals has any intention on keeping him around they would’ve extended him before he hit free agency. He clearly didn’t want to go anywhere, and they clearly have no issues with extending players mid-contract. They didn’t it with Piscotty, Wong, Molina, and Wainwright I believe. And hell, they tried trading Stephen just a couple months after extending him.

Lance Lynn should have been extended. I have more confidence in him being a solid, dependable starter for an entire season than I do anyone on the Cardinals staff. Is he an ace? No. But in my mind neither is Carlos Martinez. The Cardinals don’t have an ace.

Lynn refused to talk contract extension at all. He told them going back three seasons, even pre-JTS, that he was going to free agency at the end of the three year pre-arb deal he signed with them. There was never a contract extension signed because Lynn refused to talk about an extension.

I like Lynn and agree he has been a very solid starter and could be again, assuming he comes all the way from TJS, which is in doubt after the year he had last year. He was much worse than the ERA would suggest.

There’s literally not one pitcher in the entire Cardinals organization that if I’m an opposing team I’m worried about facing. There’s literally nobody that scares the opposition.

That’s not good.

There are plenty of pitchers on the Cardinals who scare ME when they come into a game though. Waino, Wacha, Rosenthal (gone thankfully), Cecil.

The pitching for the Cardinals sucks man.

I really don't think you realize how bad pitching is around the league right now and how good the Cardinals actually have it.

Waino? I'll give you this one though he was hurt. He's at the end of his career and everyone knows it.

Wacha? You're wrong. There's no argument I can make that you'll believe because you aren't being objective, but you're wrong. Top 25 starter in all of baseball and on a lot of teams he'd be their #1 starter with good reason.

Rosenthal? He's been one of the 10 or so best relievers in all of baseball the last 5 years. Wow. I wish they'd resigned him to a two year incentive loaded contract. Elite K-rate and above average walk rate.

Cecil? Still one of the top 40 RPs in baseball last year. He had some spectacularly bad outings early in the year then was his normal top 25 RP self the rest of the season. He had a better year last year than many elite closers like Wade Davis and Greg Holland.

The Cardinals pitching staff overall was 10th in ERA, 10th in fWAR, and 8th in FIP. They had a league average offense, were 18th in HRs, 17th in slugging %, and 10th in wOBA. When you have a middling offense but an above average pitching staff, especially with more highly rated pitching on the way, then you upgrade the offense and let a Lance Lynn walk.

Last edited:

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I don’t know where all the information is coming from about Lynn not wanting to talk contract, but he was very very very vocal all season long saying he wasn’t going to be traded and was confident he would work out a contract with the Cardinals.

The Cardinals were clear in their desire to not have him back, proven by their choice to not offer him an extension.

Lynn’s sadly better than any starter the Cardinals have right now.

They need to try and make a move for a legitimate power bat and a legitimate ace. Neither of which they have, and desperately need.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
I don’t know where all the information is coming from about Lynn not wanting to talk contract, but he was very very very vocal all season long saying he wasn’t going to be traded and was confident he would work out a contract with the Cardinals.

The Cardinals were clear in their desire to not have him back, proven by their choice to not offer him an extension.

Lynn’s sadly better than any starter the Cardinals have right now.

They need to try and make a move for a legitimate power bat and a legitimate ace. Neither of which they have, and desperately need.

Lynn has never been better than Martinez, no matter what metric you want to use. Lynn and Wacha are very similar with Wacha having age on his side.

The free agency thing with Lynn has been all over social media the last three years. The "Wish I could stay here" stuff didn't start until like September of 2017 when he realized he was actually staring free agency in the face coming off a down year.

There are about five legitimate "Aces", at least in the context you're talking about, in all of baseball right now. Would you like the Cardinals to get Clayton Kershaw, Chris Sale, Corey Kluber, Carlos Carrasco, or Max Scherzer? What do you mean none of those guys are available?

I want the Cardinals to have as many top 25 starters as they can. They already have two in Martinez and Wacha. Luke Weaver was on a 4 fWAR pace which puts him close to the top 10 and none of his peripherals are unsustainable, if anything he was unlucky.

Martinez led the NL in complete games and shut outs (3rd in MLB in both). He was 4th in the NL in strikeouts (10th overall). He was second in the NL in innings pitched (5th Overall). I'm not sure what criteria you set for "feared" and "Ace" but he's dominant and everybody that digs in against him knows it is going to be a battle. I doubt you find a single clubhouse in the National League that shares your opinion that he doesn't scare anyone.

Couple of Stat Lines for you.

W L G GS IP K/9 BB/9 HR/9 BABIP LOB% GB% HR/FB ERA FIP xFIP
Player A: 10 12 31 31 186.2 10.08 2.80 1.30 .283 75.6 % 40.7 % 15.1 % 3.86 3.83 3.65
Player B: 12 11 32 32 205.0 9.53 3.12 1.19 .284 74.9 % 51.3 % 16.4 % 3.64 3.91 3.63

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Lynn has never been better than Martinez, no matter what metric you want to use. Lynn and Wacha are very similar with Wacha having age on his side.

The free agency thing with Lynn has been all over social media the last three years. The "Wish I could stay here" stuff didn't start until like September of 2017 when he realized he was actually staring free agency in the face coming off a down year.

There are about five legitimate "Aces", at least in the context you're talking about, in all of baseball right now. Would you like the Cardinals to get Clayton Kershaw, Chris Sale, Corey Kluber, Carlos Carrasco, or Max Scherzer? What do you mean none of those guys are available?

I want the Cardinals to have as many top 25 starters as they can. They already have two in Martinez and Wacha. Luke Weaver was on a 4 fWAR pace which puts him close to the top 10 and none of his peripherals are unsustainable, if anything he was unlucky.

Martinez led the NL in complete games and shut outs (3rd in MLB in both). He was 4th in the NL in strikeouts (10th overall). He was second in the NL in innings pitched (5th Overall). I'm not sure what criteria you set for "feared" and "Ace" but he's dominant and everybody that digs in against him knows it is going to be a battle. I doubt you find a single clubhouse in the National League that shares your opinion that he doesn't scare anyone.

Couple of Stat Lines for you.

W L G GS IP K/9 BB/9 HR/9 BABIP LOB% GB% HR/FB ERA FIP xFIP
Player A: 10 12 31 31 186.2 10.08 2.80 1.30 .283 75.6 % 40.7 % 15.1 % 3.86 3.83 3.65
Player B: 12 11 32 32 205.0 9.53 3.12 1.19 .284 74.9 % 51.3 % 16.4 % 3.64 3.91 3.63

They SHOULD have Scherzer right now, and if they weren’t so cheap at the time they could have had him. He clearly wanted to sign here.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
I do hope the Cardinals get him, but I’m not going to be upset in the slightest if they don’t.

If Stanton goes to the Giants or Dodgers, that works for me too because it’s going to really hurt both of those franchises financially for years, so that’s a win for the Cardinals too.

St. Louis’ financial situation for the next several years is fantastic, and then taking on Stanton’s contract wouldn’t be that big of a hit.

But the way I look at it, wherever Stanton lands except for the Dodgers, it’s just going to be a three year deal anyway.

This will really hurt the Giants if he goes there though.

As a D-Backs fan I'm with you on the Giants. Stanton may have an immediate impact but their financial situation is going to kill them long term.

Well, there is no doubt Stanton's power would fill a lot of seats.

Wherever Lance Lynn signs he is going to get 100 million plus.

If Mike Leake can get over 80 million, Lance Lynn will get over 100.

Completely agree. Lynn is a far superior pitcher than Leake. I was amazed Leake received a contract that big but I guess that's just the direction the market is trending these days. Big money for pitchers.

Having played 2 and a half fewer seasons than Leake, Lynn has already accumulated nearly 4 WAR more (although fangraphs has them with an identical WAR). Mike Leake relies on groundball outs & command because he doesn't really have much swing and miss stuff which is partly the reason Lynn has an ERA & FIP roughly .60 points lower.

I'd imagine Lynn gets a contract within the 120 million range (20+ mil per season).

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
They SHOULD have Scherzer right now, and if they weren’t so cheap at the time they could have had him. He clearly wanted to sign here.

He clearly didn't or he would have. It's all well and good to play at home but you don't turn down $30 million to do so. The Nationals threw a top starting pitcher in baseball number at a guy who was a top 10-15 pitcher at the time and he improved (post age 30 which is historically unusual) after signing. The Nats got lucky. The list of pitchers post age 30 who have improved as much as Scherzer has is populated by Randy Johnson, Scherzer, and absolutely no one else in the 130+ year history of the sport.

This idea that they're cheap is odd to me. In the last three offseasons they've made record (for the Cardinals) competitive offers to Jason Heyward (thank God he didn't sign), David Price (Thank God Dave Dombrowski did dumb Dave Dombrowski things), signed Mike Leake (the second best pitcher on the market, albeit a weak market), and Dexter Fowler (the top available free agent in his class). Now they are aggressively chasing the man with the biggest contract in baseball. None of those moves seems cheap to me.

By the way, the Player A you ignored earlier because it destroys your arguments about signing a FA ace is Yu Darvish. Player B is Carlos Martinez.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
Dont think the yanks would do it. but theres talk ellsbury would have to be part of it along with castro and gardner no prospects.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Stanton has informed the Cardinals he won't waive his no-trade to come to St. Louis.

They're officially out.

Cubs fans can breathe a sigh of relief.

[MENTION=3127]Super Mario[/MENTION]

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Dont think the yanks would do it. but theres talk ellsbury would have to be part of it along with castro and gardner no prospects.

Don't understand how that makes sense unless the Yankees ate all the salaries on both sides. Miami is trying to shed payroll, not add it.

Can't say I'm surprised he won't waive his no trade clause for St. Louis. I wouldn't want to play on the coast and lose versus playing in St. Louis and being competitive year in and out for the next three but I'm not the $300 million dollar man either. Hopefully the Cards already have a contingency trade in place for Yelich, Ozuna, or Donaldson.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
I was hoping he would land in STL, just because the division is full of parks where the ball carries. I thought it would be great to see what he could pile up statistically with the Cardinals.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts