Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Best Autograph In My Collection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
Every Veteran's Day I start to think about my family and how much they have sacrificed for this country. Both of my grandfathers fought in WWII, one for the US and one for Canada.

23380127_1581504951893391_8648502918603296621_n.jpg
This was my grandfather that fought for what would become the USAF during WWII. He passed away when my father was 16 years old from radiation induced cancer. One of the last missions he flew was assessing damage in Nagasaki after the US dropped the atomic bomb. That mission would ultimately cost him his life.

So what does this have to do with autographs?

a.jpeg (2).jpeg
Hawaiian Dollar Bill signed by the entire crew of that final mission over Nagasaki. Every man on this died from radiation induced cancer. My grandfather signed at the far left next to the mission date.

Last edited:

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Amazing. Truly amazing my friend. Has to be the cornerstone of the collection

Bring me your Bickford, Ryan McMahon, Senzatela and Peter Lambert cards

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Wow. That is something. Both my grandfathers served in WWII, but both lived to old age. But like yours they could have easily died young if they'd have gotten other orders, or got hit by a stray bullet, or who knows. What you have there is pretty damn special.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
That's really cool! Reminds me of how lucky we are to be here with how everything lines up in our families histories. Like banjar said, a stray bullet an inch this way, or that way, or a simple recon mission that exposes you to radiation, etc. My grandpa was serving in Korea. While overseas, his mother became deathly ill. He was able to come back and be with her for her last days. While he was stateside, his whole platoon was wiped out. He was the only survivor. Had he not been away, my dad would not have been born, him and my mom would not have met and had me, and I would not have had my kids. Crazy.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
I think it's great that it's on a Hawaii bill.

For those of you who don't know the story it's really compelling.

The US Treasury department was concerned that if Hawaii was overtaken by the Japanese the 300 million of currency could be seized from civilians and other holdings and used to fuel their war effort.

In 42 a recall of US currency was issued in Hawaii and the people complied. Bills were printed with the word Hawaii on it to replace the currency and issued to the people and banks. This way the US could simply declare them not legal tender if seized. Other currency they wouldn't be able to distinguish.

The other problem is that now you have $300 million in one central location that would have made it easier for the Japanese to control so what does the military do? That's right a 300 million dollar bon fire.

In the end Hawaii never fell and the Hawaii bills are still legal tender. It's what I consider to be one of American historys coolest stories.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
This was my grandfather that fought for what would become the USAF during WWII. He passed away when my father was 16 years old from radiation induced cancer. One of the last missions he flew was assessing damage in Nagasaki after the US dropped the atomic bomb. That mission would ultimately cost him his life.

So what does this have to do with autographs?

View attachment 74546
Hawaiian Dollar Bill signed by the entire crew of that final mission over Nagasaki. Every man on this died from radiation induced cancer. My grandfather signed at the far left next to the mission date.

Wonderful item to have. I bet if you take the dollar to the Smithsonian, they would airtight preserve it for you and ask you if they could display it.

Fordman