Thread: No love for Beltran?

Hybrid View

mrmet17
    Mentioned
    476 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No love for Beltran?

Carlos announced his retirement, going out on top after winning the World Series with Houston after a 20!!! Year career.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

piledriver1
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still an effective hitter, I'm surprised at his totals. 2725 hits, 435 homers, 1587 RBI. But yeah, he was fairly anemic this year, and there's no better time to leave if you're gonna leave. I heard he's interested in the Yankees manager job (BTW, so am I, just saying).
    Looking for 2011 Topps Marquee Museum autographs, rare Frank Thomases and Grady Sizemores I don't have

moxacaine
     moxacaine
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    he will end up in the hall of fame but I don't think he should be. he was always a good player though and am happy he got to end his career with a championship.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moxacaine View Post
    he will end up in the hall of fame but I don't think he should be. he was always a good player though and am happy he got to end his career with a championship.
    One of only five players in MLB history with 400+ HR and 300+ SB. Yes, he’s in and should be.
    After I had identified a few, I saw and recognized the shade of him who made, through cowardice, the great refusal.

moxacaine
     moxacaine
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WCTYSON View Post
    One of only five players in MLB history with 400+ HR and 300+ SB. Yes, he’s in and should be.
    I know I'm in the minority. I'm pretty firm on believing he does not belong. but then again I think at least a quarter of the people in the HOF shouldn't be there and that the whole thing is a joke. but that's a debate for another day.

Senior Member death2redemptions's Avatar
     ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WCTYSON View Post
    I did not know this.

In my mind he's like Adrian Beltre. A player who throughout his career has accumulated the sort of stats that are Hall of Fame worthy but because he was never the best player in the league at any given time or received much media attention there are still many fans who don't perceive him to be a HOF player.

I do believe he's worthy of the HOF but it may take some time before he gets in.

Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loved him in St. Louis.

Resident Yadier Molina, and Pro Wrestling super fan.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sad day for the 2002 Twins/Royals lineup card I have on the wall in the basement.

It took a while, but I believe everybody is now retired (excluding guys who manage).

Had a pretty good run with Hawkins, Ortiz, Pierzynski, Beltran, Ibanez though.

Collector of Kirby Puckett cards (1,900+ different, primary focus on Pre-1999 cards), Benj Sampson, Scott Stahoviak, Billy Beane, Al Newman, and Metrodome game/stadium used artifacts.

fcbsportscards
    Mentioned
    481 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We put up the same amount of posts as the mets about Beltran
    Check out the FCB Community Sports Card Podcast
    Wanna host? PM Me! We would love to have YOU on the podcast.

Bwoodcollector
     @anthonyscorona
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great player but I think his most famous moment isn't his best

Bring me your Bickford, Ryan McMahon, Senzatela and Peter Lambert cards
    Please note: Card collecting is my hobby, not my life. I don't take it that serious and like to keep it fun.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyCorona View Post
    Great player but I think his most famous moment isn't his best
    That Wainwright curve though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=tWNe6cMsdsI
    Last edited by WCTYSON; 11-14-2017 at 02:19 PM.
    After I had identified a few, I saw and recognized the shade of him who made, through cowardice, the great refusal.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's one of those very good players who compiled great overall numbers over a long career.
    But at no point during his playing career did I ever think he was a Hall of Famer. Few people did.

He never led the league in anything but games played once, and was only Top 10 in MVP votes twice in 20 years.

The difference in a Hall of Famer with similar or lesser career stats like Dawson, Rice, Billy Williams, Cepeda, etc. is that they were dominate players. Beltran wasn't.

But he'll eventually get elected because of his gaudy compiled numbers, especially being among the few with 1,500 runs, 1,500 rbi, 400 homers, 300 steals and 2,500 hits. That's impressive and definitely worthy of being elected.
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    He's one of those very good players who compiled great overall numbers over a long career.
    But at no point during his playing career did I ever think he was a Hall of Famer. Few people did.

He never led the league in anything but games played once, and was only Top 10 in MVP votes twice in 20 years.

The difference in a Hall of Famer with similar or lesser career stats like Dawson, Rice, Billy Williams, Cepeda, etc. is that they were dominate players. Beltran wasn't.

But he'll eventually get elected because of his gaudy compiled numbers, especially being among the few with 1,500 runs, 1,500 rbi, 400 homers, 300 steals and 2,500 hits. That's impressive and definitely worthy of being elected.
    He was the best center fielder in baseball for more than a decade from 1999 - 2009. Andruw Jones is a close second over that time period. He's the ninth best CF of all time by fWAR and 6th best by fWAR in the modern era (1919 - present). If you don't think that's Hall of Fame worthy then you might as well throw out 80% of the people currently in the Hall. He wasn't necessarily flashy like Andruw Jones or Jim Edmonds (who should have gotten more chances on the ballot) but he was better than both during their respective peaks, which all more or less line up.
    I PC Jeff Frye and Ozzie Smith. Working on 2017 A&G and Donruss Optic currently
    https://jefffryecollection.wordpress.com - My collection website with galleries and want lists

Kyouk20
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I won't be surprised or upset if he makes it into the HOF one day but I wouldn't vote him in. He has been a good all around player for a long time as his numbers show, no debate there, but he was never really in the conversation for best at his position, that's where I make a difference between him and Beltre. For me there is a large chunk of time you could make the argument that Beltre was the best third baseman, maybe he was, maybe he wasn't but the case can be made. Was Beltran ever even a top 3 outfielder?
    Again, he's been good for a long time and that is nothing to sneeze at but for me he is in the first tier of players that get left out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast