Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Braves to face significant punishment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
Just read this on MLBTR. Rosenthal is reporting the Braves are set to lose significant prospects from Latin America for skirting the International Signing Period rules. This could include Kevin Maitan and Abrahan Gutierrez. This was previously reported on and speculated, but it's looking more likely given mainstream reports lately. Yikes...

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
Pretty bad when you both cheat and you suck.

They cheated but it wasn't anything that made an impact on their 2016 & 2017 major league teams therefor they would have sucked just as bad (no better, no worse) had they not cheated.

None of the players who were obtained through bribes or via cheating the system have actually reached the major league level yet.

On the other hand, they have the best farm system in baseball but they probably wouldn't had they actually played by the rules.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
Can't wait to find out how much Maitan will fetch on the open market.

"At any rate, Maitan will certainly have plenty of suitors if he’s made a free agent—though if he’s still considered subject to international signing rules, new guidelines that went into effect this year, might make it trickier for him to get paid. The updated rules set a hard limit for team spending, the amount of which varies from club to club depending on specific conditions but generally will not exceed $6 million, unless one team can find another willing to trade away some of their own cap space in a deal. That limit is per each club’s whole international class, not per single international free agent. (But if Maitan’s put on the market, he would be allowed to keep his original signing bonus, per Rosenthal.)

https://deadspin.com/report-braves-will-have-to-give-up-prospects-as-punish-1820494309

This came from deadspin so I don't know how reliable the source of information is.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
I'll be really pissed if the Braves lose Maitan (thanks a lot Coppy) but I'm just relieved that I haven't heard Ronald Acuna's name being tossed around among potential Latin American prospects that they may lose.

However, that doesn't mean that he won't be so I'm following closely.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
Mark Bowman is reporting Braves are set to lose "multiple" prospects from the last two signing periods. Big names include Kevin Maitan, Abrahan Gutierrez and Yunior Severino. MLB is sitting down with "multiple" prospects today and a formal announcement could come as early as this evening. Speculation is that it will be a massive punishment.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Jon Heyman reports Maitan will be freed, and others may be too.

Sorry, [MENTION=12878]death2redemptions[/MENTION] [MENTION=1720]cgilmo[/MENTION]

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
How would this work? Are Maitan and Gutierrez true free agents or are they still subjected to international signing rules? I'm curious to see how this plays out.

Hasn't been clarified yet. I'm also interested to know what wrongdoings the Braves (i.e., Coppy) are guilty of.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
Hasn't been clarified yet. I'm also interested to know what wrongdoings the Braves (i.e., Coppy) are guilty of.

Me too! It's been all speculation at this point, so some clarity would be welcomed for sure. There's also rumors about Drew Waters taking a car for an under slot bonus.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
Jon Heyman reports Maitan will be freed, and others may be too.

Sorry, [MENTION=12878]death2redemptions[/MENTION] [MENTION=1720]cgilmo[/MENTION]

I was expecting this to happen for some time now.

This could mean Maitan becomes Yankees property if they lose out on Ohtani. Man would that be sick!!!

PLEASE let it be the Yankees who sign him...my BC Maitan auto stash would be very appreciative.

Members online