Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

53-year-old Rafael Palmeiro thinks he can return to the Majors as a player.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
ESPN - Rafael Palmeiro, who is 53 and last played in 2005, said he is thinking about trying to make a comeback.

Palmeiro told The Athletic, "there's no doubt in my mind I can do it."

A four-time All-Star first baseman, Palmeiro played for the Chicago Cubs, Texas Rangers and Baltimore Orioles over a 20-year career, racking up more than 500 home runs and 3,000 hits. He is one of only five major leaguers to achieve that feat.

He said he still has something to prove, however. Palmeiro's career ended in 2005, after he was suspended in August for testing positive for steroids. He was the first major league baseball player suspended for steroids.

Palmeiro, who retired quietly in September 2005 after the 10-game suspension, has always maintained that he never used steroids.

"Maybe 12 years later, if I can come back and prove I don't need anything as an older player with an older body, then people might think, OK, maybe he didn't do anything intentionally," Palmeiro said.

The oldest regularly playing position player in Major League Baseball history was Julio Franco, who was 49 when he retired in 2007.

"I want to prove to myself I can do it on a high level," Palmeiro said, "then walk away feeling good about the whole body of work."

Baltimore general manager Dan Duquette did not entirely dismiss the notion of giving Palmeiro a shot.

"It would be an interesting story," Duquette said. "It's like tying your shoes ... If you can hit, then you can hit."

Palmeiro's son Preston is currently a member of the Orioles organization. The 22-year-old first baseman hit .253 with 13 home runs and 77 RBIs while playing for the team's Class-A affiliate, Delmarva, last season.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Nope. He might be able to look good enough in a workout for someone to take a chance on this sideshow but I give it a less than 1% chance he can make an impact on a major league roster.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
Maybe 15 years ago someone would have taken a flyer, but there's no way in the days of analytics and youth, that someone would even entertain this idea.

Bane50

Feb 14, 2010
Why not? If he is really just trying to prove something, he’ll play for the league minimum salary. Team at least gets an extra coach. If he can’t hack it, bench him.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Who wastes a spot on their roster for this experiment? I agree, play elsewhere and prove you rise above everyone else, then maybe there is a chance for a story that draws some club a nice crowd and attention (and the money to go with it) and is worth the risk.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Who wastes a spot on their roster for this experiment?

a team like the Marlins or Rays? I imagine he might be worth it initially to put people in the seats to see if he succeeds or fails. If it becomes clear he fails, his marketing/ticket sale value falls off.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I don't usually root against people but he just became so unlikeable I hope someone takes the chance and he gloriously flames out.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
My guess is he wants to do this to reset his HOF eligibility. Voters are moving closer to voting in steroid users and Palmeiro, with both 500
homer and 3000 hits would have been a lock if not for steroids... (not that I think he’ll get in either way.)

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts